Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Don't Forget Sophia Loren Live from a TCMFF 2015 on tonight

HelenBaby2

Another fine program from TCM.  Sophia's son did a nice job with the interview and I really like the way they add the movie clips and photographs afterwards to provide a reference for what is mentioned.

It is a somewhat bittersweet reminder that Robert Osborne was not present at last year's film festival (I'm assuming he would have done the interview had he been there, but perhaps not), and now he is missing his 2nd in a row.

• Like 2

Another fine program from TCM.  Sophia's son did a nice job with the interview and I really like the way they add the movie clips and photographs afterwards to provide a reference for what is mentioned.

It is a somewhat bittersweet reminder that Robert Osborne was not present at last year's film festival (I'm assuming he would have done the interview had he been there, but perhaps not), and now he is missing his 2nd in a row.

Yeah RO was supposed to do the interview but he when he had to cancel, it was pretty close to the event so they had to scramble practically at the last minute. For some reason Ben couldn't do it either and Edoardo was going to be there anyway so they asked him to step in. They only had something like a day for him to prep. I thought having him do it was a smart idea. He did have a list of questions but it was more conversational and it made Miss Loren more relaxed. According to the staff, he didn't feel comfortable with the section dealing with the part about Cary Grant but he did it well.

Sophia was quite witty & charming, and her son was a doll. I thought it was a great interview.

• Like 7

i saw some of the short film starring Sophia last night...I probably should've sat down and watched all 26 minutes of it, i have just been having a hard time focusing on things lately.

one thing i will say is that, quite clearly, Sophia got one of those very rare good deals with the Devil. She's what? 80? And she looks 50...and the kind of 50 that looks kinda like 40 in the right light.

whatever she's doing: it's working.

• Like 1

I have yet to see the interview (which I recorded), but I have always found Sophia Loren to be such a delight as a person, very honest and down-to-earth (a reflection of her background) yet still with that movie star glamour that makes her so exciting.

She enters her '80s with a dignity and elegance that should prove an inspiration to us all.

Oh, and one more thing, when Sophia was in her glorious film star prime, aside from proving herself to be a fine actress, equally adept at both drama and comedy, I thought she just might also be the hottest lady on the planet.

o-SOPHIA-LOREN-facebook.jpg

• Like 4

The short film, "The Human Voice", was a first-rate foray for Sophia Loren and her director-son.

She gave a heart-breaking performance and she got the Italian Oscar for that performance.

I liked the fact that the heartbreak was broken up with happier memories of the couple.

But I am mystified by the ending in which a young man takes off on a motorbike.

I would have sat her down at the kitchen table - alone - eating that serving of eggplant parmigana.

• Like 1

i saw some of the short film starring Sophia last night...I probably should've sat down and watched all 26 minutes of it, i have just been having a hard time focusing on things lately.

one thing i will say is that, quite clearly, Sophia got one of those very rare good deals with the Devil. She's what? 80? And she looks 50...and the kind of 50 that looks kinda like 40 in the right light.

whatever she's doing: it's working.

Her son looks great too. He must be in his 40s by now. (looked in his 20s!)  Guess she passed down her genes. I didnt care for her wig though.

• Like 3

Her son looks great too. He must be in his 40s by now. (looked in his 20s!)  Guess she passed down her genes. I didnt care for her wig though.

Edoardo Ponti's wife is the actress Sasha Alexander, who starred in the TV series "NCIS" and "Rizzoli & Isles." Did anyone spot her in the audience?

121126rizzoli-isles-alexander1.jpg

Alexander with co-star Angie Harmon in the TNT drama series "Rizzoli & Isles"

• Like 2

What a great interview.  Sophia's son did a great job interviewing his mother.  

I agree that Sophia looked great.  I also wasn't a fan of her wig, but she looked beautiful--she has the prettiest eyes.  I also loved her blue suit.  The color was gorgeous.  

The clip of "The Human Voice" was interesting.  I wonder if that's what Sophia looks like without all the makeup or whether makeup artists had to make her look older.  Regardless, she has beautiful skin. 

This interview was fun, I'm glad to see that Sophia is still going strong.  This interview made me want to see more of her films.  I think I've only seen Houseboat, Grumpier Old Men and Arabesque.  I tried watching The Pride and the Passion but it was boring.  

I thought the story about why she didn't attend the 1961 Oscars was charming and funny.  I was also amazed at her earrings in the clip of her accepting the 1991 Honorary Oscar, I am surprised those earrings didn't rip off her ears.  Those suckers must have weighed about 5 lbs each.  

• Like 1

Edoardo Ponti's wife is the actress Sasha Alexander, who starred in the TV series "NCIS" and "Rizzoli & Isles." Did anyone spot her in the audience?

Yes, she was sitting next to Edoardo's brother Carlo.

Thanks! I had a feeling she wouldn't have missed it for the world! By the way, here's a photo of the Ponti family -- Sophia, Edoardo, Sasha and young Lucia Sofia (who turns 10 in May) -- at the 2014 Tribeca Film Festival in New York City. Edoardo and Sasha also have a 5-year-old son named Leonardo Fortunato Ponti.

Sasha+Alexander+Edoardo+Ponti+Shorts+Pro

• Like 2

What a great interview.  Sophia's son did a great job interviewing his mother.  

I agree that Sophia looked great.  I also wasn't a fan of her wig, but she looked beautiful--she has the prettiest eyes.  I also loved her blue suit.  The color was gorgeous.  

The clip of "The Human Voice" was interesting.  I wonder if that's what Sophia looks like without all the makeup or whether makeup artists had to make her look older.  Regardless, she has beautiful skin. 

This interview was fun, I'm glad to see that Sophia is still going strong.  This interview made me want to see more of her films.  I think I've only seen Houseboat, Grumpier Old Men and Arabesque.  I tried watching The Pride and the Passion but it was boring.  

I thought the story about why she didn't attend the 1961 Oscars was charming and funny.  I was also amazed at her earrings in the clip of her accepting the 1991 Honorary Oscar, I am surprised those earrings didn't rip off her ears.  Those suckers must have weighed about 5 lbs each.  

When I hear "blue suit", I think of what Marty's mother told him to put on when he went to the Stardust Ballroom.

I know, right?**

I think it was from the Racquel Welch Collection.

**Note: I tried to find an online way to translate "Bless Her Heart"

into Italian but was unsuccessful.

Edoardo and I have the same birthdate, so he's 43. I've read that his mother was confined to her bedroom for long periods of time to ensure that her pregnancies went well. 

• Like 1

I especially loved the part of the interview where Edoardo asked his mother about Cary Grant. What was it he said again? Something about having "mixed emotions" about her involvement with Grant?

(...that part especially was handled with great wit and grace by both of 'em)

• Like 1

Loved the interview and seeing Sophia and her 2 sons. Eduardo asked Sophia when she and her sister would go to the movies who her favorite Hollywood actor was, she answered Tyrone Power. Loved that answer :)

Sophia Loren, truly a great beauty and a great actress. I remember many years ago when she went to jail for a short time in protest over taxes she owed. I thought of it when she said she was a fighter. Fascinating life she's lead and her sons are so accomplished. A wonderful, full life.

• Like 2

Watched the interview and the film and was impressed. My late aunt looked very much like Loren so I have an affinity.

I loved how her english was faulty at times. Her command is extremely good but at times she had to ask Eduardo how to say something. Such a human thing to do.

Her gene pool is exquisite because both her mother and sister were just beautiful in a rather unconventional way. Sophia made a comment that her father didn't think the sister was pretty but he must have been blind, 

I actually remember when she had her first son because it was rather well known that she had miscarried 2 times (maybe 3?) and I recall thinking how supremely happy she must have been.

BTW the eldest son, Carlo was gorgeous as a young man and still handsome.

The way Sophia spoke about her late husband was lovely. 

The film was very good and she was just amazing in it. 

I especially loved the part of the interview where Edoardo asked his mother about Cary Grant. What was it he said again? Something about having "mixed emotions" about her involvement with Grant?

(...that part especially was handled with great wit and grace by both of 'em)

He used the term "bittersweet" because he said he would have been "bitter" if they stayed together because he wouldn't be there, but sweet because he was his mother's life long friend.

• Like 1

I'll always remember the day I was walking along a Toronto street with a friend who must have been feeling pretty good about herself that day because she suddenly said she thought she looked a lot like Sophia Loren.

This statement came out of nowhere because she had never, in the many years I had known her, even made any reference to Loren that I can recall.

My friend is very attractive, to be sure, but I never considered her to look like the mighty Sophia. Nor had I ever heard anyone else make the comparison.

But the weird part of the day (and the reason why I remember it) is that within a few minutes of her making this statement we wandered into a store to take a look around.

There, behind the counter, was a woman who took one look at my friend and said, "Do you know you look like that Italian actress Sophia Loren?"

My mouth fell open, as my friend gave a beaming self confident smile that said "I know."

I'll always remember the day I was walking along a Toronto street with a friend who must have been feeling pretty good about herself that day because she suddenly said she thought she looked a lot like Sophia Loren.

This statement came out of nowhere because she had never even made any reference to Loren prior to that that I can recall.

My friend is very attractive, to be sure, but I never considered her to look like the mighty Sophia. Nor had I ever heard anyone else ever make the comparison.

But the weird part of the day (and the reason why I remember it) is that within a few minutes of her making this statement we went into a store to look around.

There, behind the counter was a woman who took one look at my friend and said, "Do you know you look like that Italian actress Sophia Loren?"

My mouth fell open, as my friend gave a beaming self confident smile that said "I know."

A woman recently told me that everyone tells her she looks like Sophia Loren. I could barely restrain my laughter. If that's what keeps her going.............

A woman recently told me that everyone tells her she looks like Sophia Loren. I could barely restrain my laughter. If that's what keeps her going.............

My point about the weirdness of that day was that the only time I ever heard my friend say she thought she looked like Loren was followed, literally within minutes, by a complete stranger making the same statement about her.

And I've never heard anyone else since then make the comparison. By the way, whether or not my friend looks like Loren (I can now see a superficial resemblance around the eyes and cheekbones), she still gets constant compliments about her looks.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings