Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF: TCM Fathom Event in May 2016

HoldenIsHere

Is anyone planning to see FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF when it comes to theaters on May 15 and 18 as a TCM Fathom event?

I've never seen the movie on "the big screen" so I'm looking forward to the opportunity of a theatrical viewing of the movie that John Hughes described as being partly his "love letter" to Chicago.

In addition to scenes shot in the city --- including one in the Art Institute of Chicago and the famous parade sequence in the heart of downtown --- several scenes were shot in the North Shore suburbs of Northbrook, Winnetka, Highland Park, Lake Forest and Glencoe.

The filming location for Cameron Frye's house was the so-called Ben Rose House, which is at 370 Beech Street in Highland Park Illinois.

Ben Rose had a car collection in the pavilion just like Cameron's father keeps his Ferrari in the pavilion in the movie.

ferris-bueller-house_1_.jpg   

According to John Hughes, "Danke Schoen," which plays an important part in the movie, was a song that tormented him when he was growing up.

Matthew Broderick came up with the idea of having Ferris sing a bit of the song in the shower. The performance of the song on the parade float had already been conceived by Hughes when the shower scene was being filmed.

10c20e9dbdf66287e26779abb2fd1dab.jpg

• Like 3

being more or less the same age as Holden, I also loved this movie growing up to the point where, and this is a phrase growing in popularity among us Gen-Xers, "I wore out the tape."

that said, don't think i'll catch this on the big screen- and i'm not even sure i'd be chomping at the bit to see it again on TV- because, in the years since the movie's release, Mathew Broderick has just been so awful in everything I've seen him in, his deadpan, downplayed delivery works well in FERRIS and it was novel then, but he does it in EVERYTHING and has really become one of the most subpar, humorless and visibly unenthused actors still- somehow- getting work, although it is my understanding his performance in THE STEPFORD WIVES was considered SO BAD by studio executives, he has not been offered a live-action lead since.

Sorry to poop all over your thread Holden, if you maybe saw THE PRODUCERS on broadway or have seen something Broderick was in where he seemed to be exerting any kind of enthusiasm or even inflection, feel free to school me on it.

ps- would still kill for a leopard skin sweater vest tho.

• Like 1

being more or less the same age as Holden, I also loved this movie growing up to the point where, and this is a phrase growing in popularity among us Gen-Xers, "I wore out the tape."

that said, don't think i'll catch this on the big screen- and i'm not even sure i'd be chomping at the bit to see it again on TV- because, in the years since the movie's release, Mathew Broderick has just been so awful in everything I've seen him in, his deadpan, downplayed delivery works well in FERRIS and it was novel then, but he does it in EVERYTHING and has really become one of the most subpar, humorless and visibly unenthused actors still- somehow- getting work, although it is my understanding his performance in THE STEPFORD WIVES was considered SO BAD by studio executives, he has not been offered a live-action lead since.

Sorry to poop all over your thread Holden, if you maybe saw THE PRODUCERS on broadway or have seen something Broderick was in where he seemed to be exerting any kind of enthusiasm or even inflection, feel free to school me on it.

ps- would still kill for a leopard skin sweater vest tho.

Matthew Broderick has actually starred in a lot of indie features.

And he is still starring in vehicles on Broadway.

I'll try to get this in before you kiddies have to go in for your naps....

Some of y'all go on as if FERRIS BUELLER was Broderick's first film.

WHO wasn't imprssed with his turn in 1983's WAR GAMES?

Get a load of his chops in the teleplay(I saw it on PBS) MASTER HAROLD...AND THE BOYS ('85)

I used to like a TV show in the'70's called FAMILY that starred is Dad, JAMES.  And a lot of the reason was because he was...

"That guy from ALICE'S RESTARAUNT!"  or "Hey!  It's the F.B.I. guy from DOG DAY AFTERNOON!"

Of course, when I first saw War Games, Master Harold and even FERRIS, I didn't KNOW at the time James and Matthew were father and son.  But I do guess it helps explain the talent!

I probably too, won't go to see FERRIS on the big screen.  I saw it the FIRST TIME on the big screen.  I always thought it was a kinda cool movie.  And always sort of wondered if there was any significance in having Alan Ruck wear that GORDIE HOWE jersey.....

Old Red Wings fans want to know!  :D

Sepiatone.

Matthew Broderick has actually starred in a lot of indie features.

And he is still starring in vehicles on Broadway.

maybe i'll be proven wrong, i certainly TRY to keep an open mind, and there are plenty of other actors whose talents I have questioned who later blew me away with a performance...but.

i imdb'd him, and came across SO MANY titles where he was just...lousy. GODZILLA, STEPFORD WIVES, INSPECTOR GADGET, THE PRODUCERS (film version), ADDICTED TO LOVE, THE ROAD TO WELLVILLE, BILOXI BLUES, GLORY (yeah, that's right, he's bad in GLORY), and THE CABLE GUY- now, I give you that a lot of those films were dogs not worth putting a lot of effort into, but at the same time, those checks you got for doing them didn't bounce, did they Mathew?

There is also the rare case of ELECTION, in which he is bland and painting by the numbers, but it's what the role requires- kind of like how perfect Jennifer Tilly was as a bad actress in BULLETS OVER BROADWAY.

So, all apologies to everyone, and I'LL TOTES SHUT UP IF YOU WANT, but it just IRKS me how he  just seems to have NO ENTHUSIASM for anything and delivers his lines in a stilted, joyless monotone...and i will go out on a limb and say the quality and infrequency of film and tv roles he's had since 2000 reflect this.

he just always comes across as stilted and low key, like he's reading the dialogue for the first time...and it's not in his native language.

ps- he was also awful during the TCM FRIDAY NIGHT SPOTLIGHT on screwball comedies.

maybe i'll be proven wrong, i certainly TRY to keep an open mind, and there are plenty of other actors whose talents I have questioned who later blew me away with a performance...but.

i imdb'd him, and came across SO MANY titles where he was just...lousy. GODZILLA, STEPFORD WIVES, INSPECTOR GADGET, THE PRODUCERS (film version), ADDICTED TO LOVE, THE ROAD TO WELLVILLE, BILOXI BLUES, GLORY (yeah, that's right, he's bad in GLORY), and THE CABLE GUY- now, I give you that a lot of those films were dogs not worth putting a lot of effort into, but at the same time, those checks you got for doing them didn't bounce, did they Mathew?

There is also the rare case of ELECTION, in which he is bland and painting by the numbers, but it's what the role requires- kind of like how perfect Jennifer Tilly was as a bad actress in BULLETS OVER BROADWAY.

So, all apologies to everyone, and I'LL TOTES SHUT UP IF YOU WANT, but it just IRKS me how he  just seems to have NO ENTHUSIASM for anything and delivers his lines in a stilted, joyless monotone...and i will go out on a limb and say the quality and infrequency of film and tv roles he's had since 2000 reflect this.

he just always comes across as stilted and low key, like he's reading the dialogue for the first time...and it's not in his native language.

ps- he was also awful during the TCM FRIDAY NIGHT SPOTLIGHT on screwball comedies.

Since his early days in film, in which he was young, charming and endearing, I will agree with you that, over the years, he has definitely changed - for the worse.

He is now so low-key that he almost doesn't exist.

And, yet, he continues to work - in the movies (indies) and in the theater.

He recently starred in a limited Broadway engagement of A.R. Gurney's "Sylvia".

He and his wife, Sarah Jessica Parker, "network" a lot.

Perhaps that networking explains it all.

• Like 1

One of the best things about "Ferris Bueller's Day Off": It re-ignited interest in this 1963 Beatles cover of a song also recorded by the Isley Brothers.

The Rodney Dangerfield hit "Back to School," which was released the same day as "Ferris," also used the Beatles song -- which resulted in its re-release on the Billboard pop chart. It got as high as No. 23. 

Despite this, Sir Paul McCartney expressed displeasure with the use of brass during the playing of the song.

• Like 1

Since his early days in film, in which he was young, charming and endearing, I will agree with you that, over the years, he has definitely changed - for the worse.

He is now so low-key that he almost doesn't exist.

And, yet, he continues to work - in the movies (indies) and in the theater.

He recently starred in a limited Broadway engagement of A.R. Gurney's "Sylvia".

He and his wife, Sarah Jessica Parker, "network" a lot.

Perhaps that networking explains it all.

well....

not meaning to get dark as hell and derail Holden's thread BUT....

Some time around 1990 he was driving a car in Ireland(?) and he was at negligence in causing a SEVERE wreck that nearly killed him and did in fact result in at least one fatality in the other car.

his career really cooled off and it wasn't until the late nineties that he rebounded with some films.

i have no idea what the story of the accident is, and in no way am i saying he was malicious (he's met a few times, i think with the victim's family) but something like that is bound to change you as a person, and i've always wondered, whenever i see him just barely putting any effort into something, whether the incident left him with a serious case of clinical depression/mood disorder.

• Like 1

The first time I saw "Glory," I thought Broderick was totally wrong for the role of Captain Robert Gould Shaw of the 54th Massachusetts regiment. He just looked too young. I later discovered that Shaw was 25 when he led the ill-fated assault on the Confederate stronghold at Fort Wagner.

Broderick was 27 when the film was released. Now I realize how brilliant -- and understated -- his performance was. He should have been nominated for Best Actor. And the film should have received a Best Picture nod.

• Like 3

The first time I saw "Glory," I thought Broderick was totally wrong for the role of Captain Robert Gould Shaw of the 54th Massachusetts regiment. He just looked too young. I later discovered that Shaw was 25 when he led the ill-fated assault on the Confederate stronghold at Fort Wagner.

Broderick was 27 when the film was released. Now I realize how brilliant -- and understated -- his performance was. He should have been nominated for Best Actor. And the film should have received a Best Picture nod.

I'm with you on this, (it's really surprising GLORY did not get a nomination, especially considering what other stuff did).

but...

GLORY shows on TCM a fair amount (it's one of the rarer modern titles to get a fair amount of play) and every time i have watched it, i have just shook my head at him. it's another case of his lack of enthusiasm and technical proficiency fits the character, ie- he's young and in over his head playing someone who was young and in over his head.

I'm with you on this, (it's really surprising GLORY did not get a nomination, especially considering what other stuff did).

but...

GLORY shows on TCM a fair amount (it's one of the rarer modern titles to get a fair amount of play) and every time i have watched it, i have just shook my head at him. it's another case of his lack of enthusiasm and technical proficiency fits the character, ie- he's young and in over his head playing someone who was young and in over his head.

Well, there was no way Broderick would have won the Oscar, considering Daniel Day-Lewis' amazing winning performance in "My Left Foot." But Broderick at least deserved some recognition.

• Like 1

Well, there was no way Broderick would have won the Oscar, considering Daniel Day-Lewis' amazing winning performance in "My Left Foot." But Broderick at least deserved some recognition.

it was right after GLORY that he had his accident (see post below), and i have no doubt that incident changed the trajectory of everything for him- career and otherwise.

EDIT :

NO, I AM WRONG ON MY FACTS (AS IS OFT THE CASE)

FROM BRODERICK'S WIKIPEDIA PAGE:

1987 car accident

On August 5, 1987, Broderick was in a car accident in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland, while vacationing with Jennifer Grey, whom he had begun dating in semi-secrecy during the filming of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. The accident, which was the event through which their relationship became public, occurred when, at the wheel of a rented BMW, Broderick crossed into the wrong lane and collided head-on with a Volvo driven by Anna Gallagher, 28, accompanied by her mother, Margaret Doherty, 63, who were both killed instantly in the accident. Broderick suffered a fractured leg, fractured ribs, a concussion, and a collapsed lung. Grey received minor injuries, including severe whiplash. Broderick told authorities he had no recollection of the crash and did not know why he was in the wrong lane. "I don't remember the day. I don't remember even getting up in the morning. I don't remember making my bed. What I first remember is waking up in the hospital, with a very strange feeling going on in my leg," he said at the time. Broderick was charged with causing death by dangerous driving and faced up to five years in prison, but was later convicted of the lesser charge of careless driving and fined $175,[25][26][27][28] which the victims' family called "a travesty of justice". Martin Doherty, whose sister and mother were killed in the crash, later stated that he forgave Broderick, amid plans to meet with Broderick in 2003, in order to gain a sense of closure. In February 2012, when Broderick was featured in a multimillion-dollar Honda commercial aired during the Super Bowl, Doherty said a meeting with Broderick had not taken place and that Broderick "wasn't the greatest choice of drivers knowing his past."[29]

• Like 1

it was right after GLORY that he had his accident (see post below), and i have no doubt that incident changed the trajectory of everything for him- career and otherwise.

I'm not sure it affected his career that much. He's been a mainstay on Broadway and won a Tony for the 1995 revival of "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying." He was nominated for another in 2001 for "The Producers," but lost to co-star Nathan Lane.

• Like 1

I'm not sure it affected his career that much. He's been a mainstay on Broadway and won a Tony for the 1995 revival of "How to Succeed in Business without  Really Trying."

I EDITED MY POST BELOW TO CLARIFY SOME FACTUAL ERRORS I MADE. THE ACCIDENT HAPPENED IN 1987, VERY SOON AFTER "FERRIS BUELLER"'S RELEASE.

His career did do just fine after the accident, nonetheless there was an early nineties cooling off and lack of "prestige" projects.

• Like 1

I EDITED MY POST BELOW TO CLARIFY SOME FACTUAL ERRORS I MADE. THE ACCIDENT HAPPENED IN 1987, VERY SOON AFTER "FERRIS BUELLER"'S RELEASE.

His career did do just fine after the accident, nonetheless there was an early nineties cooling off and lack of "prestige" projects.

It's also possible that the success of his wife and the arrival of their children have prompted him to be pickier about projects.

• Like 1

I have no interest in seeing FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF again, but am really looking forward to THE KING AND I in August. Those who saw the restoration of THE KING AND I at the recent TCM Film Festival said it looked absolutely gorgeous.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this last night (first time on the big screen in 30 years), and enjoyed it. I laughed.out loud at.several points, even though I knew what was coming. However, with the rather sparse audience, it seemed like thers wdre.some long pauses between dialogue; I got uncomfortable that the younger members of the audience thought it was too slow. Everyone did clap at the end, and the interview clips afterward were fun.

I saw this last night (first time on the big screen in 30 years), and enjoyed it. I laughed.out loud at.several points, even though I knew what was coming. However, with the rather sparse audience, it seemed like thers wdre.some long pauses between dialogue; I got uncomfortable that the younger members of the audience thought it was too slow. Everyone did clap at the end, and the interview clips afterward were fun.

Thanks, Arturo.

I really wish I could have seen it on Sunday.

It was playing at theater that was minutes away from from me!

The person I wanted to see it with had to work.

Grrrrr!!!

I guess I could've gone alone . . .

Wednesday evenings are just not good for me.

Of course, there is a 3:00 PM showing this Wednesday.

Maybe i could take a day off  in honor of the movie and see it.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings