Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Remakes, Sequels & Adaptations

I love Grumpy Old Men.  I just can't with the remake.

I've also read that they're remaking Bewitched.  Except for instead of a witch married to a mortal, it's going to be an interracial couple.  I haven't figured out whether magic is in the show? 

A remake of The Twilight Zone is coming.  Jordan Peele who wrote Get Out is set to narrate.  Why he couldn't just start an original anthology series is beyond me.

Last night, I just read that Hollywood is going to produce a live-action version of The Jetsons.  I'm sure so much CGI will be involved, that they may as well just re-air the original cartoon from the 60s and 80s.  It'll have about the same amount of realism. 

One reboot that was really good was Disney's reboot of my beloved early 90s cartoon, DuckTales.  The new series is actually really good.

I've just reviewed a staggering list of anticipated reboots and remakes and I only made it halfway down one page because I was so irritated.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I've also read that they're remaking Bewitched.  Except for instead of a witch married to a mortal, it's going to be an interracial couple.  I haven't figured out whether magic is in the show? 

A remake of The Twilight Zone is coming.  Jordan Peele who wrote Get Out is set to narrate.  Why he couldn't just start an original anthology series is beyond me.

That's pretty much for the reason for half the "Black-washed" remakes:

First, that black urban audiences are more in touch with the media available on free-TV than on Cable and streaming, but second, the idea that these were, quote, "white" shows, and would be funnier in a more FUBU context.  Which was pretty much the reason that Cedric the Entertainer bought up an 80's limbo-hell movie remake of "The Honeymooners", and made Ralph Kramden a ghetto bus driver...Before trying to do the Rodney Dangerfield "Back to School" remake that Melissa McCarthy ended up getting instead.  As for why Chris Rock wanted to remake "Heaven Can Wait", think he had some "social" race-relation point he wanted to make.

The all-white 00's Bewitched remake we got with Nicole Kidman was back when Sony was (still) trying to find their "House icon"--in addition to selling UA's Pink Panther with cartoons and Steve Martin remakes--and thought their collection of Screen Gems TV series would conjure up nostalgia.  We got two "Charlie's Angels" movies, an Eddie Murphy "Fantasy Island" spoof died in limbo, and it was Nora Ephron making a bizarre feminist-apology breakfast out of "Bewitched"'s plot (see, Samantha's not really a housewife, she just plays one on TV!) that stopped us from getting Lisa Kudrow in an updated "I Dream of Jeannie".  Oh, and franchise-hungrier Sony is reportedly planning to take ANOTHER bash at Charlie's Angels, only now Charlie is part of an international spy organization.

As for Jordan Peele's TZ, settle in for at least five meal-ticket years (or three films, whichever comes first) of flavor-of-the-week "100 Ways to Try and Make Get Out Happen Again for Whoever Hires Him", both on TV and movies.  Will he be a One-Hit Wonder?--Let's wait and see.

Last night, I just read that Hollywood is going to produce a live-action version of The Jetsons.  I'm sure so much CGI will be involved, that they may as well just re-air the original cartoon from the 60s and 80s.  It'll have about the same amount of realism. 

That one's been in limbo since the 80's:  Warner's Hanna-Barbera originally wanted to produce a trilogy of the live-action "Flintstones" we got with John Goodman, the live-action "Jonny Quest" we almost got with Dwayne Johnson as Race Bannon, and that darn live-action "Jetsons" that's frustrated every poor producer for thirty years.  When last we heard, Robert Rodriguez was planning to tackle it, fresh off his obnoxious CGI-fetish "Spy Kids" kiddy-films, but looks like one more brave warrior has fallen by the wayside.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

One reboot that was really good was Disney's reboot of my beloved early 90s cartoon, DuckTales.  The new series is actually really good.

I've just reviewed a staggering list of anticipated reboots and remakes and I only made it halfway down one page because I was so irritated.

Why are you so irritated?   One can just ignore what they feel is going to be crap,  right?

So who and what are you irritated at?    

20 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Why are you so irritated?   One can just ignore what they feel is going to be crap,  right?

So who and what are you irritated at?    

Well James, I DO hear another thing that mildly irritates Speedy sometimes is when people finish a sentence with a preposition.

(...oh, wait...that's not Speedy, that's one of MY little irritants...YOU know, like that whole superfluous-u thing) ;)

LOL

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, EricJ said:

First, that black urban audiences are more in touch with the media available on free-TV than on Cable and streaming, but second, the idea that these were, quote, "white" shows, and would be funnier in a more FUBU context.  Which was pretty much the reason that Cedric the Entertainer bought up an 80's limbo-hell movie remake of "The Honeymooners", and made Ralph Kramden a ghetto bus driver...Before trying to do the Rodney Dangerfield "Back to School" remake that Melissa McCarthy ended up getting instead.  As for why Chris Rock wanted to remake "Heaven Can Wait", think he had some "social" race-relation point he wanted to make.

The all-white 00's Bewitched remake we got with Nicole Kidman was back when Sony was (still) trying to find their "House icon"--in addition to selling UA's Pink Panther with cartoons and Steve Martin remakes--and thought their collection of Screen Gems TV series would conjure up nostalgia.  We got two "Charlie's Angels" movies, an Eddie Murphy "Fantasy Island" spoof died in limbo, and it was Nora Ephron making a bizarre feminist-apology breakfast out of "Bewitched"'s plot (see, Samantha's not really a housewife, she just plays one on TV!) that stopped us from getting Lisa Kudrow in an updated "I Dream of Jeannie".  Oh, and franchise-hungrier Sony is reportedly planning to take ANOTHER bash at Charlie's Angels, only now Charlie is part of an international spy organization.

As for Jordan Peele's TZ, settle in for at least five meal-ticket years (or three films, whichever comes first) of flavor-of-the-week "100 Ways to Try and Make Get Out Happen Again for Whoever Hires Him", both on TV and movies.  Will he be a One-Hit Wonder?--Let's wait and see.

That one's been in limbo since the 80's:  Warner's Hanna-Barbera originally wanted to produce a trilogy of the live-action "Flintstones" we got with John Goodman, the live-action "Jonny Quest" we almost got with Dwayne Johnson as Race Bannon, and that darn live-action "Jetsons" that's frustrated every poor producer for thirty years.  When last we heard, Robert Rodriguez was planning to tackle it, fresh off his obnoxious CGI-fetish "Spy Kids" kiddy-films, but looks like more brave warrior has fallen by the wayside.

I hadn't heard of "FUBU" but I looked it up in the Urban Dictionary, so I am assuming that FUBU means "For Us, By Us."  That seems to make the most sense in the context of this conversation.  While I suppose anyone has the right to remake anything they want, as long as they procure the necessary legal rights, it just seems pointless.  Maybe, Maybe, these remakes will be successful.  Some of the remakes have been successful, like Hawaii 5-0 though I understand that people are upset about the lack of diversity on the program. 

These remakes are inevitably going to draw comparisons to the original.  If they cannot capture whatever quality the original had, it's not going to be successful.  Of course, there will also be those who are unfamiliar with the original source material and could make the program successful, maybe.  I think Jordan Peele will have the toughest time, as he will inevitably draw comparisons to Rod Serling.  I think he could have had just as big a shot if he'd created his own weekly anthology series, rather than appearing in a remake.  I am going to assume that he's doing a remake, so he can use the Twilight Zone brand to give his show a better shot.  I do agree though that Peele will be around for the next few years, if only to capitalize on Get Out and I believe his Key and Peele show was popular too. 

I wish that Hollywood would come up with some original ideas, instead of re-hashing old shows.  Obviously there are new ideas to be had, Netflix, Amazon and Hulu are full of original programming.  I know the networks are probably struggling to compete with streaming and cable--who don't have restrictions on content.

I wonder what would happen if someone decided to remake The Jeffersons or Good Times with all white actors?

48 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

These remakes are inevitably going to draw comparisons to the original.  If they cannot capture whatever quality the original had, it's not going to be successful.  Of course, there will also be those who are unfamiliar with the original source material and could make the program successful, maybe.  I think Jordan Peele will have the toughest time, as he will inevitably draw comparisons to Rob Serling.  I think he could have had just as big a shot if he'd created his own weekly anthology series, rather than appearing in a remake.  I am going to assume that he's doing a remake, so he can use the Twilight Zone brand to give his show a better shot.  I do agree though that Peele will be around for the next few years, if only to capitalize on Get Out and I believe his Key and Peele show was popular too. 

CBS approached Jordan Peele about heading up their reboot of The Twilight Zone. He didn't approach them with the idea. CBS is desperately trying to generate content for their CBS All Access streaming service, and after Get Out was a big hit, they went after Peele for the already-planned TZ reboot. And just a reminder, this will be the fourth Twilight Zone TV series, following the original (1959-1964), the 80's series (1985-1989), and the last series (2002) which had Forest Whitaker as the host. I don't hold out much hope for the new series, as I tend to be a pessimist regarding TV, but who knows? It might be good.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

CBS approached Jordan Peele about heading up their reboot of The Twilight Zone. He didn't approach them with the idea. CBS is desperately trying to generate content for their CBS All Access streaming service, and after Get Out was a big hit, they went after Peele for the already-planned TZ reboot. And just a reminder, this will be the fourth Twilight Zone TV series, following the original (1959-1964), the 80's series (1985-1989), and the last series (2002) which had Forest Whitaker as the host. I don't hold out much hope for the new series, as I tend to be a pessimist regarding TV, but who knows? It might be good.

Thank you  I didn’t know it was CBS’ idea.  So the show is only going to be streaming? That’s a pretty ballsy move on CBS’ part.  I could see shows just outright failing because of a low subscriber turnout. 

I didn’t know there was an 80s series. But between 85-89, I was 1-4. So I probably wasn’t into Twilight Zone. I don’t even remember the 2002 one. Goes to show how much I paid attention. I would like to see all the original episodes. I believe they’re on Netflix & Hulu. Night Gallery is on Hulu too. 

Just now, speedracer5 said:

Thank you  I didn’t know it was CBS’ idea.  So the show is only going to be streaming? That’s a pretty ballsy move on CBS’ part.  I could see shows just outright failing because of a low subscriber turnout. 

I didn’t know there was an 80s series. But between 85-89, I was 1-4. So I probably wasn’t into Twilight Zone. I don’t even remember the 2002 one. Goes to show how much I paid attention. I would like to see all the original episodes. I believe they’re on Netflix & Hulu. Night Gallery is on Hulu too. 

I liked the 80's series, although it's as much for the 80's style time-capsule as it is for the actual stories.

CBS has already had two shows premiere on their streaming service, a spin-off of The Good Wife entitled The Good Fight, and the latest Star Trek show, Star Trek: Discovery. They were both considered successful, and I'd watch both of them, but I'm not paying for another streaming service.

• Like 2

Remakes: I have no problem with them. Quite often, the original film is based on literature, so in fact, all the versions are just different interpretations of the same original source material. There have been some crappy remakes out there, but also a lot of decent ones (mostly classics). Also, I think that a lot of people might not realize that some of their faves are actually remakes (for example, the 1961 film The Parent Trap is a remake).

Sequels: In almost all cases, the sequels aren't nearly as good as the first film. Over the years, I've noticed that, with sequels, the filmmakers are trying to beat a dead horse. Some of the worst sequels are the sequels to the original The Pink Panther. Oy...what were the filmmakers thinking? What was Peter Sellers thinking? The first film is a masterpiece...

Adaptations: Quite a few films are adaptations of literature. I'm fine with this, but sometimes the changes made from the literature to the film are ridiculous. With mysteries, I've noticed that the changes usually result in major plot holes. If they're going to adapt a story, they should stick to the story instead of trying to be oh-so creative.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Corporations have always preferred to go with well known names over anything new. Especially since 2008.

6 hours ago, EricJ said:

This has nothing to do with "black audiences". All audiences today prefer diversity in entertainment. Release a big budget film with an all white cast, expect it to under perform. And that's not just black audiences staying away. Its the general movie going public that is speaking with their dollars.

My issue with "black washed" remakes is that the talent has to measure up to the original or it will pale in comparison. Cedric isn't close to Jackie Gleason, who helped create the sit com for television. Same with USA trying to revive Kojak with Ving Rhames. That wasn't just another cop show. Telly Savalas was a very successful movie star and a Greek Icon. Frankly, only another Greek actor could have pulled that off. Or of course, call it something else.

Chris Rock on the other hand, has the talent to do HCW if he chose to.

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I hadn't heard of "FUBU" but I looked it up in the Urban Dictionary, so I am assuming that FUBU means "For Us, By Us." 

I wish that Hollywood would come up with some original ideas, instead of re-hashing old shows.  Obviously there are new ideas to be had, Netflix, Amazon and Hulu are full of original programming.

FUBU is simply a clothing company. If you watch the show Shark Tank, you'll see the founder there most weeks.

I wonder what would happen if someone decided to remake The Jeffersons or Good Times with all white actors?

Well, when I was growing up, my family didn't care for either show (that's a story for another thread). There have been shows similar to Good Times that have been tried. And protests got them off of the air rather quickly.

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I wish that Hollywood would come up with some original ideas, instead of re-hashing old shows.  Obviously there are new ideas to be had, Netflix, Amazon and Hulu are full of original programming.  I know the networks are probably struggling to compete with streaming and cable--who don't have restrictions on content. 

No, corporations would rather let someone else take the risk, then cash in after the fact with some copy cat series. Remember when Mad Men was all the rage ? The networks tried Pan Am and the Playboy Club. And protest took them right off of the air.

So now we get new Magnum P.I. , new Hawaii 5-0, new Murphy Brown etc...

1 hour ago, kjrwe said:

Sequels: In almost all cases, the sequels aren't nearly as good as the first film. Over the years, I've noticed that, with sequels, the filmmakers are trying to beat a dead horse. Some of the worst sequels are the sequels to the original The Pink Panther. Oy...what were the filmmakers thinking? What was Peter Sellers thinking? The first film is a masterpiece...

Actually, the Inspector Clouseau character was created in the original French play of A Shot in the Dark, and Blake Edwards created the first Pink Panther as a sequel.  Then, for some reason, decided the jewel-robbery story would be better released first.

Return of was a fair attempt to revive it for the 70's (after Alan Arkin was no Sellers-replacement), and Sellers grudgingly needed the work.  Strikes Again was a hit, so they thought Revenge of would be, and not too many people ever found out that the posthumous Trail of and Curse Of ("Why is Blake still trying to grind them out without Sellers??") were an intentionally connected two-part finale movie for Clouseau.  Probably because nobody ever bothered to WATCH them.   ?

Of course, Edwards had gotten so used to Sellers just letting the improv roll and creating the scenes out of nothing, Blake seemed to have forgotten how to direct, and couldn't get used to finding another actor to write his own movies for him.  He lucked out when he wanted to be the first to bring Roberto Benigni to the US in Son of, and he was even luckier that Benigni already had a more competent knowledge of how to direct comedy by that point to take over for him.

“Carol” Producer Plans An “Ikiru” Remake

“Carol” and “Colette” producer Stephen Woolley is reportedly at work on a remake of famed Japanese filmmaker Akira Kurosawa’s 1952 cinema classic “Ikiru,” this one set in the UK.

Deadline reports the news was revealed in a foreword in his new book “Scala Cinema: 1978 to 1993” with the piece saying: “I’m reading a screenplay today for a version I commissioned that will be set in 1950s London, and which I hope to shoot next year.”

The original film was partly inspired by Leo Tolstoy’s 1886 novella “The Death of Ivan Ilyich” and starred Takashi Shimura in the story of a terminally ill, middle-aged Tokyo bureaucrat and his final quest for meaning in his life.

Source: Deadline

12 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

speedracer5

I'd like ta kiss ya, but I just washed my hair.

12 hours ago, EricJ said:

Actually, the Inspector Clouseau character was created in the original French play of A Shot in the Dark, and Blake Edwards created the first Pink Panther as a sequel.  Then, for some reason, decided the jewel-robbery story would be better released first.

Return of was a fair attempt to revive it for the 70's (after Alan Arkin was no Sellers-replacement), and Sellers grudgingly needed the work.  Strikes Again was a hit, so they thought Revenge of would be, and not too many people ever found out that the posthumous Trail of and Curse Of ("Why is Blake still trying to grind them out without Sellers??") were an intentionally connected two-part finale movie for Clouseau.  Probably because nobody ever bothered to WATCH them.   ?

Of course, Edwards had gotten so used to Sellers just letting the improv roll and creating the scenes out of nothing, Blake seemed to have forgotten how to direct, and couldn't get used to finding another actor to write his own movies for him.  He lucked out when he wanted to be the first to bring Roberto Benigni to the US in Son of, and he was even luckier that Benigni already had a more competent knowledge of how to direct comedy by that point to take over for him.

That's incorrect. A Shot in the Dark was filmed after the original Pink Panther was completed. I don't think the Sellers character was in the original play (at least as portrayed in the Pink Panther). Edwards rewrote the script to accomodate Sellers.

I had some FUBU shoes for a number of years. I had banged the toes on my left foot on a brick step pretty bad so to protect the bandaged wounded toes I put on these FUBU shoes. very nice. but then I stored them away for a number of years and earlier this year I broke them out and started to walk in them...

well sir...

they had deteriorated stored in a drawer and as I walked the sole material started flaking and breaking off leaving a trail of debri. hadda take them off and dispose of them.

the guy I got them from got them at a salvation army post for fifteen dollars unfortunately they were not made from long lasting material.

so those FUBU guys cut corners somewhere. never have I seen footware break up like that.

:D

looked something like these

Image result for fubu shoes 1999

• Haha 1
On 4/29/2016 at 12:58 PM, LawrenceA said:

I thought I'd start a thread to discuss the title phenomena. New or old, pro or con, anything's up for debate.

I was inspired to create this thread after just reading that Ben Wheatley (High-Rise) is currently writing, with an eye to direct, another remake of Wages of Fear. The original, widely regarded as one of the greatest suspense films ever made, was a French film starring Yves Montand, and released in 1953. It followed a group of desperate characters who are driving trucks laden with volatile nitroglycerin over unpaved roads, where any one of the many bumps or jostles could send the trucks sky high. It was remade by William Friedkin in (mostly) English in 1977, starring Roy Scheider, and renamed Sorcerer. The remake was decent, but not up to the original. As far as the proposed new remake, I don't really see the need. With all of the unproduced screenplays and unadapted great works previously published, I would much rather see something new on screen. I know the usual argument is that studio execs are scared and only want to produce something they "know" is going to work. Obviously, that knowledge only goes so far, as many sure bets flop every year, and there are at least one or two big hits that no one expected. But I don't see there being a big public desire for, or even a recognition of, Wages of Fear, despite it being one of my personal favorites.

I own the original on dvd, and can see right now in my mind that famous scene where he keeps backing the truck up, near a possible disaster and it is spine-tingly, and you are so right that the remake was not up to par!

I think, if one is going to remake something, why not pick a real clunker, and make it better, rather than starting to remake a near perfect film. Isn't that a bit like gilding the lily, or trying to rehab the Taj Mahal?

If "Satan Met a Lady" can get better with a rewrite and refilming, why not something like "Girl in Black Stockings"?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Dargo said:

Well James, I DO hear another thing that mildly irritates Speedy sometimes is when people finish a sentence with a preposition.

(...oh, wait...that's not Speedy, that's one of MY little irritants...YOU know, like that whole superfluous-u thing) ;)

LOL

Better to end a sentence with a preposition than a proposition, during the MeToo! movement, Dargo.

Such "ardour" can be problematic...

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

1.  Corporations have always preferred to go with well known names over anything new. Especially since 2008.

2.  This has nothing to do with "black audiences". All audiences today prefer diversity in entertainment. Release a big budget film with an all white cast, expect it to under perform. And that's not just black audiences staying away. Its the general movie going public that is speaking with their dollars.

3.  My issue with "black washed" remakes is that the talent has to measure up to the original or it will pale in comparison. Cedric isn't close to Jackie Gleason, who helped create the sit com for television. Same with USA trying to revive Kojak with Ving Rhames. That wasn't just another cop show. Telly Savalas was a very successful movie star and a Greek Icon. Frankly, only another Greek actor could have pulled that off. Or of course, call it something else.

4.  No, corporations would rather let someone else take the risk, then cash in after the fact with some copy cat series. Remember when Mad Men was all the rage ? The networks tried Pan Am and the Playboy Club. And protest took them right off of the air.

5.  So now we get new Magnum P.I. , new Hawaii 5-0, new Murphy Brown etc...

1. Agree, but goes all the way back.  Look at all the 50's and 60's westerns, PI shows, etc.

2. Disagree.  I think a movie with an all white cast that is well written, well directed and with quality acting would be very successful.  There are probably lots of them out there now actually.  People go to a movie for entertainment not diversity.  Not against diversity, but it is not a selling point for movies or TV shows.

3. Agree

4.  Mad Men was on a non-broadcast network and they allow more time for series to develop a following.  The "Big Four" (broadcast) want big following within a few months or shows are dead.  I think the other networks are following their lead.  I purchased the DVD set of TNT's King & Maxwell a year or so ago.  Had some flaws, but it was a fairly good series.  Cancelled after about 13 shows. 

Some of the worst sequels are the sequels to the original The Pink Panther. Oy...what were the filmmakers thinking? What was Peter Sellers thinking? The first film is a masterpiece..

Eh? H'mm. The Panther had multiple installments including 'A Shot in the Dark' with ...Alan Arkin? Which one are you considering 'the first'?

I consider 'The Return of the Pink Panther' the best of the lot. Although it was slightly flawed by Christopher Plummer, in the sense that he walks on at the finale and almost steals the flick with his swagger and stature.

On 9/25/2018 at 3:13 AM, GGGGerald said:

Remember when Mad Men was all the rage ? The networks tried Pan Am and the Playboy Club. And protest took them right off of the air.

So now we get new Magnum P.I. , new Hawaii 5-0, new Murphy Brown etc...

For some reason this thought came back to me.  One reason Mad Men was so successful is that they did a heck of job with it.  Very good cast, director and writers.  The people in charge of props and sets did a fantastic job.  I watched Pan Am and the Playboy Club - boring!!!!  Poorly written, poorly acted and poorly directed.

• Thanks 1

It seems like they remake King Kong every five years, but maybe I'm off on that fact. However, I think Godfather II is probably the most successful sequel ever made. I know the Star Wars series, the Indiana Jones movies, and the Lord of the Rings flicks could have maybe made more money, but I think GF II is the only sequel to win the Academy Award for Best Picture. Also, my apologies to the Harry Potter fans. Those were pretty good too.

35 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

It seems like they remake King Kong every five years, but maybe I'm off on that fact. However, I think Godfather II is probably the most successful sequel ever made. I know the Star Wars series, the Indiana Jones movies, and the Lord of the Rings flicks could have maybe made more money, but I think GF II is the only sequel to win the Academy Award for Best Picture. Also, my apologies to the Harry Potter fans. Those were pretty good too.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) won Best Picture. It was the third film in the series.

36 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) won Best Picture. It was the third film in the series.

Going My Way (1944) was also technically the sequel to Bing Crosby & Ingrid Bergman in "The Bells of St. Mary's", but was released first, since Bing had more songs in that one.

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Going My Way (1944) was also technically the sequel to Bing Crosby & Ingrid Bergman in "The Bells of St. Mary's", but was released first, since Bing had more songs in that one.

Yeah, since Going My Way was filmed, released, and won its Oscars before shooting began on The Bells of St. Mary's, I think we can disregard the former movie as a sequel, regardless of the order in which the original scripts were written.