Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why Do The Characters Of FARGO Have So Much Difficulty ...

Palmerin

... describing Steve Buscemi?

Here's Buscemi for you!:

a shriveled dwarf of a man, all skin and bones, with a head that looks like a skull with a rat's nest on top, with protruding eyes and a mouthful of rodent teeth.

Definitely not the most beautiful son of Brooklyn.

Palmerin, although I love the movie Fargo, I cannot remember if the description of Steve Buscemi  you just gave is a quotation from one of the film's characters, or your own assessment of the actor's appearance.

As I recall, didn't they always refer to him as "a little guy"   * in the film?

Anyway, although agreed, nobody's going to nominate Steve Buscemi for "Most Handsome Man of the Year" anytime soon, I actually have to admit that, oddly enough, I kind of like the gentleman's looks. And he's one of those guys who started out so homely that he couldn't help get better-looking as he got older. (Like Wayne Gretzky and Pete Townshend.)

And I know  everyone here is going to think I'm completely nuts after this statement, but I actually thought he was kind of sexy in Ghost World and Trees Lounge.

But I concede I have pretty off-beat tastes sometimes.

* edit: I just remembered, I think he's described as "the funny looking (little) guy" in Fargo.

• Like 1

As I best recall(got it on TAPE, and should watch it again, as I liked it a lot too....

He was usually described as not only a "little guy"  but also "sorta funny lookin'  "

Once when asked, "Funny lookin' HOW?" a guy replied, "Oh, you know, in a generally  kinda way..."

All I can say is that if  I were asked,  I can only say..."He looks sort of like a skinny STEVE JANOSIK."  (A late, great old friend of mine that Buscemi always remeinded me of...)

Sepiatone

Here's Buscemi for you!:

a shriveled dwarf of a man, all skin and bones, with a head that looks like a skull with a rat's nest on top, with protruding eyes and a mouthful of rodent teeth.

Actually he looks a lot better in Boardwalk Empire.

In THE DAY OF THE JACKAL the title character is always described by those who have glimpsed him as a fair haired Englishman; obviously the J is such a nondescript unremarkable critter that the only memorable things about him are his hair and his accent.

If that was Forsyth's intent, then Edward Fox was seriously miscast, for he is anything but nondescript: well built and ramrod straight, with a magnificent full head of hair, sharp features, piercing eyes, and a powerful commanding voice, perfect for portraying military officers such as Lieutenant-General Sir Brian Horrocks in A BRIDGE TOO FAR.

Evangeline: What does he look like?

Walter Burns: He looks like that fellow in the movies. You know... Ralph Bellamy.

-- Rosalind Russell and Cary Grant in His Girl Friday

• Like 1

I love the way he's described by Jack Warden in 'Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead' (1995).

"Now, you wanna take care of business, you gotta do it in close, know what I mean. They call in a guy from El Paso - a Mr. Shush. They call him Mr. Shush 'cause he don't say much - you can't even see his face, he won't even say five words unless you beg him. He's a turtle (chuckle). Yeah, I wanna call him a turtle - yeah, he's a turtle. The most lethal contract killer west of the Mississippi. They say he's clipped over two hundred believers. Yes sir, when Mr. Shush accepts your "buckwheats" paper, it's time to kiss the day goodbye and get real cozy with the notion of eternity".

As Warden is over-voicing this ominous dialogue, we see arriving at the bus station a small figure in a hat and suit, looking very much like Barney Fife in his salt and pepper Sunday do's, walking slightly stooped with his heavy suitcase, and even getting bumped by a passer-by and nearly knocked over.

Beautiful stuff.

I can't remember what movie it was - maybe 'Ghost World' - but on the commentary track I remember the director revealing how he'd found out that Buscemi is enormously popular with actresses - he attracts them likes bees to pollen.

So, make fun of him all you want. He's laughing all the way to the bedroom, as well as the bank.

• Like 1

Okay, I gotta admit I never got into those Peter Jackson "Middle Earth" flicks, BUT from just being a casual observer of 'em and knowing and seeing a few of the characters in 'em over the years...well...does THIS little guy HERE remind anyone of a certain actor???....

gollumx2.jpg

I love the way he's described by Jack Warden in 'Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead' (1995).

"Now, you wanna take care of business, you gotta do it in close, know what I mean. They call in a guy from El Paso - a Mr. Shush. They call him Mr. Shush 'cause he don't say much - you can't even see his face, he won't even say five words unless you beg him. He's a turtle (chuckle). Yeah, I wanna call him a turtle - yeah, he's a turtle. The most lethal contract killer west of the Mississippi. They say he's clipped over two hundred believers. Yes sir, when Mr. Shush accepts your "buckwheats" paper, it's time to kiss the day goodbye and get real cozy with the notion of eternity".

As Warden is over-voicing this ominous dialogue, we see arriving at the bus station a small figure in a hat and suit, looking very much like Barney Fife in his salt and pepper Sunday do's, walking slightly stooped with his heavy suitcase, and even getting bumped by a passer-by and nearly knocked over.

Beautiful stuff.

I can't remember what movie it was - maybe 'Ghost World' - but on the commentary track I remember the director revealing how he'd found out that Buscemi is enormously popular with actresses - he attracts them likes bees to pollen.

So, make fun of him all you want. He's laughing all the way to the bedroom, as well as the bank.

Well, I'm not an actress, but as I said, I too actually find Mr. Buscemi kind of attractive. Good to know I'm not alone - and in the company of actresses, yet !

Well, I'm not an actress, but as I said, I too actually find Mr. Buscemi kind of attractive. Good to know I'm not alone - and in the company of actresses, yet !

Yeah, well, I guess I gotta admit there were times I thought Dame Judith Anderson was kind'a hot too.

(...especially if she would've had that damn mole removed from her chin...but alas, that never was to be)

LOL

Okay, I gotta admit I never got into those Peter Jackson "Middle Earth" flicks, BUT from just being a casual observer of 'em and knowing and seeing a few of the characters in 'em over the years...well...does THIS little guy HERE remind anyone of a certain actor???....

Peter Lorre.

gollumx2.jpg

Andy Serkis.

Sorry to give a serious answer when you were just having fun. But I really like the actor Andy Serkis, and I think he did an amazing job of inhabiting, so to speak, the soul of this strange, sad, ambivalent character. Poor Gollum.

Andy Serkis also gave an unforgettable portrayal of a creepy, scheming psycho killer in the television series, "Little Dorrit".

char_lg_rigaud.jpg

Isn't it annoying, how inarticulate some people are when it comes to giving a description?

In LAW AND ORDER:SVU and several other police shows, the detective interrogates a potential witness. He asks: was the man black, white, tall, short, fat, thin?--and all that the hapless witness can say is that the suspect is AVERAGE: a pitiful admission that the ,,witness'' did not see a damn thing.

Isn't it annoying, how inarticulate some people are when it comes to giving a description?

In LAW AND ORDER:SVU and several other police shows, the detective interrogates a potential witness. He asks: was the man black, white, tall, short, fat, thin?--and all that the hapless witness can say is that the suspect is AVERAGE: a pitiful admission that the ,,witness'' did not see a damn thing.

So in other words, like all the people around here who can't see the obvious facial similarities between Buscemi and Gollum, RIGHT?!!!

;)

LOL

• Like 1

My very flattering portrait of the costar of RAUL JULIA in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN:

an oval with two eyebrows drawn together in a frown of pain, on top a receding hairline.

Here's Buscemi for you!:

They have trouble describing him because at the time he seems unimportant to them. To the two hookers he was just another john. And to all of the other people who saw him, he was not doing anything out of the ordinary, even when he was vaguely bragging to the one guy who was shoveling snow about having done something big, he just probably blew him off at the time as unimportant. After all he's not Shrek ugly, he's just ugly in a nondescript kind of way, and people like that have a way of blending into the background. Good news if you are a criminal.

Here's Buscemi for you!:

I kinda think he is adorable!

Much more attractive than Ben Affleck.

• Like 1

gollumx2.jpg

Uh, Klaus Kinski?

• Like 1

My very flattering portrait of the costar of RAUL JULIA in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN:

an oval with eyebrows drawn together in a frown of pain, on top a receding hairline.

That's probably why he was picked for the Addams role since he can look like a cartoon figure.

They have trouble describing him because at the time he seems unimportant to them. To the two hookers he was just another john. And to all of the other people who saw him, he was not doing anything out of the ordinary, even when he was vaguely bragging to the one guy who was shoveling snow about having done something big, he just probably blew him off at the time as unimportant. After all he's not Shrek ugly, he's just ugly in a nondescript kind of way, and people like that have a way of blending into the background. Good news if you are a criminal.

SB looks like a live version of a cartoon; people like that always attract attention; remember how cartoonish Laurel and Hardy are?

More important, Carl Showalter is an unpleasant jerk who is always insulting other people and getting into their faces. Slimy buggers like him are hard to miss or forget.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings