Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RARE COLUMBIAS ON TCM

PrinceSaliano

Has TCM exhausted its accessible supply of rare 1930s Columbia titles? There are many that haven't been shown.

I sure hope not but sadly that might be the case.   Get-TV shows mostly Columbia titles from the 40s and some from the 30s.   TCM needs to try harder to get access to Columbia films from both decades.

• Like 1

Has TCM exhausted its accessible supply of rare 1930s Columbia titles? There are many that haven't been shown.

The TCM agreement for the very old Columbias ran out in either 2009 or 2010.  I think that GetTV has access to the very old ones now. I saw "Men in Her Life", a 1931 Columbia I had never seen before, on that channel in the recent past. I do miss seeing films like "Ann Carver's Profession", "Air Hostess", "My Woman", and "By Whose Hand?", just to name a few.

• Like 1

Has TCM ever shown The League of Frightened Men (1937)? It's the second and last of Columbia's two attempts to bring Rex Stout's great detective Nero Wolfe to the screen. I've seen a very brief clip from it, and mild-voiced Walter Connolly is just as miscast as Wolfe as Lionel Stander is as Archie Goodwin.

I have a copy of the previous Wolfe film, Meet Nero Wolfe with Edward Arnold and, regrettably, Lionel Stander again as Archie Goodwin. As almost always, the makers were afraid to depict Wolfe as Stout wrote him -- sedentary, calmly determined but capable of childish petulance -- so Arnold is boisteously over-the-top and constantly on the move. On film only Thayer David, in the '70s TV pilot, has ever really captured Stout's Wolfe (I've never seen the three or four episodes of the unaired Wolfe TV series from the late '50s, with Kurt Kasznar as Wolfe and -- are you ready? -- William Shatner as Archie).

Speaking of great detectives, I don't recall if it's a Columbia but has anyone here ever seen Connolly in the 1934 version of Father Brown? I believe it's based on Chesterton's story "The Blue Flame", as is the later and much better known film with Alec Guinness.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings