Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Title of Movie - Musical with a Brilliant Harmonica Solo

Hi, first post.

I'm wondering if someone might know this movie?

It may be a Fred Astaire movie from the early 50s but I can't be sure. What I am sure of is there is a scene in a restaurant with a big orchestra and the conductor belts out this amazing harmonica solo.

I think another actor that might be in the picture is a chain smoking pianist with a dry sense of humour. I'm pretty sure he played the same type of character as side kick to Fred in many movies.

Any help?

Hi. I can only take a stab at this. You could check some titles on Larry Adler's filmography, an amazing harmonica player who made a few film appearances; always in musical bits, of course. He had a memorable segment in the film Music for Millions (1944) where he played Clair de Lune in a restaurant. This is what I thought of when I read your post. What you say about the pianist doesn't ring a bell, though.

Well, in Music For Millions Jimmy Durante plays "Toscanini, Iturbi, and Me" on the piano which is certainly humorous, if not dry.

I'd tend to agree with looking at Oscar Levant as dry humor and a pianist.

I don't think Larry Adler and Oscar Levant were ever in a film together but not sure.  Your description definitely sounds like it's the 2 of them but I think the film you're thinking about is still unsolved. Please let us know if you do find the title of the film or remember some more clues to the film  :) 

This won't answer the question, but here's a connection between Larry Adler and Oscar Levant. They both played the George Gershwin piece "Rhapsody in Blue." Levant was a friend of Gershwin's and appeared in the biopic about Gershwin (Rhapsody in Blue).  Both Adler and Levant recorded the piece and played it in concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjhrNeqSDOo

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings