Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Olivia de Havilland interview--Vanity Fair May 2016 Issue

speedracer5

There is a new Olivia de Havilland interview that will be in this month's issue of Vanity Fair.  For those who don't want to purchase the magazine, here is the article:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/04/olivia-de-havilland-joan-fontaine-sibling-rivalry

There is a very bittersweet anecdote about a reunion between de Havilland and nine-time screen paramour, Errol Flynn, in 1957. 

Then of course, there's the story of her famous rivalry with sister Joan Fontaine.

• Like 6

Although I like both Olivia and Joan as actresses who deserved their Oscars, if I had to pick sides regarding The Feud there is no question. Joan LOVED keeping it going and adding more gasoline to the fire, publishing a "tell all" book. Olivia was simply exhausted.

A few amusing IMPRESSIONS... not based on specific facts, mind you... just my overall "feel" of the situation.

REBECCA started filming immediately after GONE WITH THE WIND (what two weeks later?) and you can't help but wonder if David O'Selznick and Alfred Hitchcock both saw through Joan like X-ray machines. She is absolutely wonderful in the lead role, with her "I'll go away" to Lawrence Olivier's Maxim practically putting me in tears. Yet make no mistake about it. She is trying desperately to out-"sweeten" Olivia's Melanie and the fellow cast-members aren't exactly "buying it"... Lawrence looks so easily distracted, Florence Bates is hilariously condescending ("Tennis lessons my foot!"), George Sanders' Jack sports the same facial expressions as with Anne Baxter a decade later in ALL ABOUT EVE,  and, of course, we also have Judith Anderson's Danvers accusing her of taking somebody's place. (One wonders if Danver's speech about "he's still in love with her" was simply... in that moment... switching Lawrence's Maxim with Lesley Howard's Ashley... even though the original Maxim-Rebecca relationship was nothing like Ashley-Melanie.)

Don't get me wrong. Joan is still absolutely adorable in that movie. Just that something is definitely... off. Even the dress that shocks everybody at the party looks suspiciously like something Melanie would wear in GWTW.

I also find the relationship between Olivia and Bette Davis fascinating. They started out as rivals, but quickly becoming friends. This may be because Bette reminded her of Joan in some oddball way. In HUSH HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE, it almost seems like Bette is playing the Olivia she knows well, outspoken yet honest (if ready for THE SNAKE PIT), while Olivia plays Joan, sweet and deceptive.

• Like 4

There is a new Olivia de Havilland interview that will be in this month's issue of Vanity Fair.  For those who don't want to purchase the magazine, here is the article:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/04/olivia-de-havilland-joan-fontaine-sibling-rivalry

There is a very bittersweet anecdote about a reunion between de Havilland and nine-time screen paramour, Errol Flynn, in 1957. 

Then of course, there's the story of her famous rivalry with sister Joan Fontaine.

Reading this terrific article (yesterday), I guess I'm a little surprised that Olivia mentioned Joan at all, given the feud, but maybe at this late age she's decided to take a higher road?  Still, she's talking to a journalist, not a close friend...

Yes, the story she tells of her "reunion" with Flynn is very bittersweet, not only for the condition of Flynn's health but the way the interaction ended.

• Like 1

Obviously none of us know... or knew... the complete story, but I have always had the overall feeling that Joan took the feud more seriously than Olivia did. Sometimes a sibling may... hmmmm... not necessarily be jealous... but love the competitive spirit more than the other. No doubt Joan enjoyed the feud.

Little astrology fun, for those who want to view this in another direction. Ha ha!

Joan had a lot of "air" (mostly Libra) and "fire" on her chart and a moon in ambitious, earthy Capricorn (like Napoleon and Hitler... and Washington and Lincoln too), but only one Cancer sign (Pluto, the sun sign of her sister... suggesting some "intensity" there). She was more career-oriented than Olivia and may have resented her sibling's "easier" fame. Also all of that Leo probably made her a bit more of a drama queen off camera, even if she had plenty of sweet well-mannered Libra on camera.

Olivia had a ton of Cancer on her chart... and she was obviously the one closest to Mummy. It could be that Olivia never took Joan as seriously as the gossip columnists and public milking up the "conflict" did whenever she discussed about their "feud"... and, in Olivia's mind, the less you discuss something, the better.

Intriguingly both Errol Flynn and Olivia are Lunar Cancerians (he being a Gemini and she a Sun Cancer as well), so this may be why they related so comfortably in movies together.

• Like 2

Awww... you didn't have to delete because you are a Libra. (I get the emails of the messages before they get changed. *chuckle chuckle*)

I'm a Crab myself... like Olivia.

I had the women and the signs mixed up, lol.

Yes, I'm a Libra, like Carole Lombard and Jean Arthur, two of my favorites. :)

Olivia is another favorite.

• Like 1

I had the women and the signs mixed up, lol.

Yes, I'm a Libra, like Carole Lombard and Jean Arthur, two of my favorites. :)

Olivia is another favorite.

I am a Cancer just like Olivia.  Usually I am either the first or second day of Cancer.  On some charts, I've even seen my birthday being the last day of Gemini.  My birthday is two days after Errol's! 

Maybe that's why I am such a big fan of the Errol/Olivia combo.  

It seems to me that both Olivia and Joan were somewhat petty in their feud, but it also seemed like Olivia tried to take the high road and attempt to end the feud and Joan was intent on keeping it going.  Of course, we're only reading Olivia's side of the story.  I suppose Joan told her side in her autobiography that Olivia mentioned... I imagine the real truth is probably somewhere in the middle of Olivia and Joan's accounts of the feud.  I am a fan of both ladies, it's a shame they had such an intense rivalry.  It would have been interesting to have seen them make a movie together. 

• Like 2

My may issue of Vanity fair hasn`t arrived yet, but I read the article. Olivia`s opinion of Joan made me think of her roles as Christabel in BORN TO BE BAD 1950 and Kendall the benefactor with other motives in one of my two favorite Mario Lanza films SERENADE 1956.

• Like 1

Wow! Now THIS is weird!

Ya see, just this morning I read my horoscope and it said...

"Pisces: This is a good day to learn more about why Olivia de Havilland and her sister were always at each other's throats."

(...like I said...weird, HUH?!!!)

;)

• Like 4

I am a Cancer just like Olivia. Usually I am either the first or second day of Cancer. On some charts, I've even seen my birthday being the last day of Gemini. My birthday is two days after Errol's!

In my top-5 favorite actresses list, two are Cancers (DeHavilland, Stanwyck), two are Libras (Lombard, Arthur), and one is a Sagittarius (Irene Dunne).

But anyway, this is getting too far off topic. Must be something in the stars, lol...

I wonder what an Olivia/Joan film would look like. Given Joan's talked-about competitiveness, I wonder if behind the scenes it would look like the set of a Bette Davis/Miriam Hopkins film, with one accusing other of stealing scenes... Anyway, I've always enjoyed Olivia's films a little more, though I liked Joan in Jayne Eyre, which I saw on LornaHansonForbes' recommendation (thanks!).

Did Errol Flynn really ever look that bad? Sounds like hooey to me.

Another alternative to purchasing is reading the whole article at the newsstand. As long as there's no security guard.........

• Like 1

I just placed a hold on this at my library.  Thanks!   :)

I had fun just reading the Amazon reviews.

Gotta hand it to Joan. That gal must have had SPUNK. Of course, we all know what Ed Asner would say.

Apparently there must be a LOT of discussion about her "Woah is me" childhood, but I speculate that the reason she dwells so much on it was simply to compensate her jet-set "I'm doing anything I darn well please" life later on... which, at least in the seventies, would prompt some readers to be too judgmental of her otherwise. However readers, on the whole, are less hypercritical of multiple marriages, custody battles, sibling rivalries and suffering-in-pearls as long as that silver spoon was yanked out of your mouth when you were a tiny tot. Lol!

Yet this HAS to a great read... so full of juice. Granted, I am mighty curious why she downsized her relationship with George Stevens here, while a later tell-all book on HIM hints that quite a bit more was happenin' behind closed doors while GUNGA DIN was in production. (*wink wink*) You never know what gossip to believe though,

And to think I would have never noticed this book had her wholesome centenarian sister not reminded us of it in Vanity Fair!

I wonder if Robert Osborne would be willing to fly over to France for an exclusive interview. We are not expecting her to look as great as the younger Maureen O'Hara did, although she looked good last year: http://www.oliviadehavillandonline.com/blog/olivia-de-havilland-is-99

First her interview with Entertainment Weekly and now this, she is probably at her most talkative right now.

• Like 2

Has anyone read Joan's biography? I think it was talked about on the board? Was it a one-sided hatchet job?

YES. I read it when it came out (great cover) and just a few years ago after Joan died as I'd forgotten a lot of it. It's well written. The first part of the book is very good, but it gets less interesting towards the end. How true Joan's stories about Olivia are is anyone's guess. She really doesnt talk about her that much (but when she does, it's usually not in a favorable light) Olivia's recollections sound a bit too syrupy to me. I expect the truth is somewhere in the middle. I've no doubt the sibling rivalry was there, and Joan always resented her mother favoring Olivia and it colored their relationship from then on. The fued seemed like an off and on thing to me. Peaking when Joan's book came out. But it made good copy and so it acquired a life of its own over the years.........

• Like 2

Did Errol Flynn really ever look that bad? Sounds like hooey to me.

In "The Sun Also Rises," made two years before his death, he definitely looks older than his 48 years. His voice is gruffer. He's definitely not the lithe Robin Hood he'd been twenty years prior, he was definitely thicker. However he didn't let himself go like Marlon Brando. Flynn looked better in this film than Tyrone Power did. Flynn has a bit of world weariness about him (which works for his character), but he still has some panache and charm. Frankly, he didn't look as bad as I was anticipating.

A tad snide concerning Joan Fontaine....

Are you referring to the line in the article where Olivia refers to Joan not by name but as "my sibling"?  If so, that stood out to me, also.  Otherwise, I didn't get too much venom from it (but as I mentioned earlier, she's talking to a reporter here).

Another alternative to purchasing is reading the whole article at the newsstand. As long as there's no security guard.........

Since when do Trader Joe's have newsstands???

(...oh, wait...right next to the Two Buck Chuck wine selection, right?!)

;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings