Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

To all the TCm fans who love film noir like myself, I found a Robert Ryan noir that I can recommend. Ten years ago I saw CAUGHT 1949 at the Dryden Theatre which is part of the George Eastman House in Rochester, N.Y. The films of Max Ophuls were being honored. Barbara BelGeddes is Leonora a young model who marries Smith Ohlrig(Robert Ryan) a powerful millionaire who is ruthless. James Mason`s role is Dr. Quinada who helps Leonora.

Go to YOU TUBE.COM and type in CAUGHT 1949 film noir, and the film will come up.

• Like 1

As I said in my post, I was watching Mansfield on the screen, and hearing her being discussed, as I was writing the post on THE TALL , MEN, so while I was thinking Russell, I guess my mind had the other one in he subconscious. I DID spell it Jane, like Russell, not Jayne, like Mansfield.

Btw, Mansfield was.not hired by her studio to be their version of Monroe, since both were under contract to 20th Century Fox. Rather, she was hired to be their replacement for a recalcitrant Monroe, who had fled to New York, after rejecting script after script. If Monroe didn't come around, they needed someone else. They had tried Sheree.North, but while sexy, attractive.and talented, she wasn't quite equiped to compete.as effectively as Mansfield.

Arturo, not really necessary to explain, since most here KNOW that you are very knowledgeable about FOX films and FOX stars. You've had that FOX thread on the boards for a long time and it's always been a go to thread to many here.

I agree about that 2nd photo of Sophia. The one most are referring to as the photo that's well known is NOT the one they showed in the Loren interview. You are correct, I noticed that also.TCM showed another photo that is much more revealing and again Arturo, you are correct the look on Sophia's face was priceless and much more disapproving than the photo that's usually shown, especially the look in Sophia's eyes is hilarious.

• Like 2

Truly remarkable, how Robert Bushnell Ryan constantly played villains who were so charismatic they made the heroes look insipid by comparison.

In so many movies what you say is the case.   This is why Bad Day at Black Rock is such a solid and well written, well acted film.

At the start the Tracy character, being war weary,  older,  and disabled is viewed by the folks in the town and I assume most of the audience as insipid in comparison to the Ryan character.    After the café scene it is clear that what the Tracy character said is correct;  it is only a matter of time before the Ryan character is going down.       

• Like 3

Movies I planned to record overnight last night/this morning  did not work because the TV signal was lost. 

Oh, well. So I'll have to record those Ryan films I had not seen another time.

I am sorry that you weren`t able to record  the movies. The retirement home where I live has Senior Cable. My son gave me a Tvio for Christmas, since he knows how much I like to record films from TCM. The service isn`t a satellite, and on the average of three times a week it drops channels. I know how to reset, but it is a pain. Evidently the signal isn`t strong enough.

• Like 1

I am sorry that you weren`t able to record  the movies. The retirement home where I live has Senior Cable. My son gave me a Tvio for Christmas, since he knows how much I like to record films from TCM. The service isn`t a satellite, and on the average of three times a week it drops channels. I know how to reset, but it is a pain. Evidently the signal isn`t strong enough.

I called my provider to make sure it wasn't something wrong with the equipment.  No, it was out lots of places  near me.  I don't have satellite either - too expensive for me.

Tonight I watched as they aired the three films which are called the "Holy Trinity of Intolerance' in the Robert Ryan biography.  I have seen Bad Day at Bad Rock and Crossfire several times.  However, this was the first time I had seen Odds Against Tomorrow.

To watch those three films in the same evening.....WOW!

They are all great movies.

There is a guest host for Robert Osbourne.  She talked about how Ryan wanted his daughter to avoid watching any of the movies where he dies.  She saw that Bad Day at Bad Rock was going to air and called him about it and he told her NOT to watch it. His daughter watched it anyways.  Afterwards, his daughter called Ryan to find out if he was okay and he told her;

"I TOLD YOU NOT TO WATCH IT!"

• Like 2

Actress Madeline Stowe did a fine hosting job filling in for Robert, but I was hoping that author J.R. Jones would be included. A year ago his biography of Robert entitled THE LIVES OF ROBERT RYAN 2015 was released. He was interviewed on Eddie Muellers web site on You Tube Noir City SF. Mr Jones was very interesting and imformative. He graduated from the same high school in Chicago as Robert Ryan had.

• Like 3

I thoroughly enjoyed J.R. Jones' biography of Robert Ryan and recommend it to RR fans. He would make an excellent host to talk about Ryan's films.

Thank you for sharing that you have read THE LIVES OF ROBERT RYAN.The author was very knowledgable when I watched his interview on YOU TUBE.

I thoroughly enjoyed J.R. Jones' biography of Robert Ryan and recommend it to RR fans. He would make an excellent host to talk about Ryan's films.

I have not read it. thanks for the recommendation.  I have heard great things about it.

Marie Dressler is SOTM for June?!

Dang, I mean, I'm totaly cool with it, but they're going old school with this one.

(more power to them on it.)

I love how they are doing a Canadian actress.

Friday, May 13th Robert Ryan dramas are the focus.

The lineup starts with The Iron Major at 3:30pm EST/12:30pm PST and continues until Act of Violence overnight.

Several of these films I have seen many times - others are ones I have never seen and am looking forward to it.

For communicating a threatening undercurrent in every word he spoke, Robert Ryan was supreme.  He had a presence on screen that made even his gentlest, caring motions taut with menace.  Even in roles where he was not subject to outbursts of violence, he could still be forbidding, angry, retributive.  In some of his best roles, he created towering villains of cinema, including the ones in Crossfire (1947), Beware, My Lovely (1951), and The Naked Spur (1953).

Or that is the common image of him.   But even a glance at his filmography reveals as many positive roles, if not heroes.  The best of them including The Set-Up (1949, and my favorite of his movies), On Dangerous Ground (1951, yes, he starts out a villain, but ends up a hero--my favorite of his movies), and Act of Violence (1948), where he is portrayed a villain, but turns out a good-guy.  It's my favorite movie of his.

If there ever was an actor whose on-screen persona conflicted with his real life personality, this is the guy.  While he is remembered for portraying violent, bigoted, or vindictive people, he personally campaigned for tolerance, even-handedness, civil liberties, and civil rights.  He was one of the few who vocally opposed McCarthy's witch-hunting, and supported the blacklisted Hollywood Ten.  And didn't cave to pressure dissuading him from doing it, unlike some others.  He was involved with the creation of social- and civil-activitst groups, a number of theater groups, and a private school.  

His early life reads like a tale of a poor depression boy:

After a failed attempt to become a journalist in New York City, the young Ryan grabbed a ship bound for Africa and worked as an engine room janitor for two long years. He dug subway tunnels in Chicago, mined for gold and punched cattle in Montana and, back in Chicago, sold cemetery plots and steel products. The low point came with a stint as a bill collector for a loan company, shaking poor people down for money they didn’t have (from http://dartmouthalumnimagazine.com/articles/actor-who-knew-too-much).

Yet he was just the opposite.  All of this bumming around came after his graduation from--Dartmouth, the son of a wealthy Chicago contractor.  While there, in addition to being the heavyweight champion each of his years, he became acquainted with the theater, starting out in the direction of playwright.  It was that which eventually got him work, and a career, starting out directing theater at a private school.  A good summary of his life can be found here: 

http://www.filmnoirfoundation.org/sentinel-article/RobertRyan.pdf.

He's another one of those conflicted actors, like Sterling Hayden, or Robert Mitchum, who felt ambivalent, or outright disdainful (or so they said) of their profession.  But like them he also took his work seriously.  Some speculate his low view of his worthiness is what drove him to his activism.  But I withhold from adopting such psychological rationales.  The motivations of people's actions are complex, and subtile.  Facile cause-and-effect speculations I am confident never have great explanatory power.  

Some of my regrets for TCM's STOM tribute are the lack of his final performance in The Iceman Cometh (1973), and some of his TV work, including his appearance as Jay Gatsby opposite Jeanne Crain in the 1958 Playhouse 90 adaptation of The Great Gatsby.  Now I think of it, didn't TCM show his appearance as Lincoln in the Screen Director's Playhouse adaptation of "Lincoln's Doctor's Dog?"

My final regret is one beyond TCM's control.  He evidently was slated to play Commodore Matt Decker in the Star Trek episode "The Doomsday Machine."  Though William Windom did a fine job, it still would have been killer to see Mr. Ryan in it.

Love your write-up on Ryan, Slayton!

I think he was so good at playing so many different types of parts, due to the many occupations you mention that he had been involved with earlier in his life. I think I've read also that he did time as a ship stoker, was a male model and as you say a ranch hand and bill collector. Didn't he also go to Dartmouth, and of course his physical prowess as a heavyweight champion in college was utilized well in films.

I think I remember him also playing in theatrical classics like "Antony and Cleopatra" in his later years on stage and also shows like "Mr. President" with Nanette Fabray and of course "The Front Page" revival. His part in "Billy Budd" is one of the most despicable I've ever witnessed and it takes real acting to appear to be that diabolical for sure.

Totally looking forward to all his films that TCM is showing tonite and then again later in the month. I wonder if Ryan ever appeared on a talk show as it would have been wonderful to see him in his true persona.

• Like 2

Love your write-up on Ryan, Slayton!

I think he was so good at playing so many different types of parts, due to the many occupations you mention that he had been involved with earlier in his life. I think I've read also that he did time as a ship stoker, was a male model and as you say a ranch hand and bill collector. Didn't he also go to Dartmouth, and of course his physical prowess as a heavyweight champion in college was utilized well in films.

I think I remember him also playing in theatrical classics like "Antony and Cleopatra" in his later years on stage and also shows like "Mr. President" with Nanette Fabray and of course "The Front Page" revival. His part in "Billy Budd" is one of the most despicable I've ever witnessed and it takes real acting to appear to be that diabolical for sure.

Totally looking forward to all his films that TCM is showing tonite and then again later in the month. I wonder if Ryan ever appeared on a talk show as it would have been wonderful to see him in his true persona.

Here is a link to the page of his biography that talks about what talk shows he was on including Carson, Cavitt, and Allen.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=wF9cCAAAQBAJ&pg=PA301&lpg=PA301&dq=Robert+Ryan+on+talk+shows&source=bl&ots=1OOTGelve3&sig=4i1jJHtH_oaVY5AlEdCEvnYNx3w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwju-aqU6dfMAhVV-mMKHcXvDQoQ6AEIKjAD#v=onepage&q=Robert%20Ryan%20on%20talk%20shows&f=false

Im looking forward to ABOUT MRS. LESLIE tonight. I've seen ACT OF VIOLENCE. It's quite good and has Van Heflin, another under-rated actor, in it as well. If you're a fan of either one, or both, and haven't seen it, check it out.

• Like 1

Im looking forward to ABOUT MRS. LESLIE tonight. I've seen ACT OF VIOLENCE. It's quite good and has Van Heflin, another under-rated actor, in it as well. If you're a fan of either one, or both, and haven't seen it, check it out.

Act of Violence is one of my favourite Van Heflin movies.  It is a must see for fans of Ryan, Heflin, Leigh and Astor.