Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I think the commentary on  Robert Ryan learning about the BILLY BUDD project and  then offering to participate says a lot about Ryan. He recognized a good role and went for it.  His Claggert was very  subtle but oh,  so sinister. Only briefly does he let his guard down and  show a human side to Budd , but that doesn't  last.  He wants to bring Budd down to his level so he provokes Budd. I like that way that Ryan lies there after being knocked down and hitting his head. He smiles for a moment, then dies. It's as if he knows that he's succeeded in inflicting more misery on someone.

• Like 3

Robert Ryan's westerns are airing this Friday.

I did eventually see The Wild Bunch for Ryan and William Holden but there were a few scenes like the ones with the scorpians where I fast forwarded scenes.  That film is actually airing later his the "older Ryan" segment.

Earlier in the day are some westerns I've seen others new to me.

My favourite Robert Ryan western of the ones I've seen so far is The Naked Spur.

• Like 1

an interview (from 2009) with Ryan's children, commenting on their father...

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/film-noir-icon-robert-ryan-his-chicago-childhood-the-ryan-construction-fire/Content?oid=1223003

along with the text of a letter he'd written to his children....

"Nostalgic and sometimes drily witty, it offers a revealing glimpse into Ryan's stoic personality as well as evocative recollections of Chicago in the teens and 1920s. It also alludes to some of the pressures and traumas that may have shaped him,..."

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/actor-robert-ryans-letter-to-his-children/Content?oid=1223014

• Like 1

an interview (from 2009) with Ryan's children, commenting on their father...

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/film-noir-icon-robert-ryan-his-chicago-childhood-the-ryan-construction-fire/Content?oid=1223003

along with the text of a letter he'd written to his children....

"Nostalgic and sometimes drily witty, it offers a revealing glimpse into Ryan's stoic personality as well as evocative recollections of Chicago in the teens and 1920s. It also alludes to some of the pressures and traumas that may have shaped him,..."

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/actor-robert-ryans-letter-to-his-children/Content?oid=1223014

Thankyou so much for these links, mr6666

:)

edit: I just finished reading the article.  It took me about an hour.

Fantastic. 

Edited by ColumboFan
  • Like 1

I cannot believe there's a thread devoted to Robert Ryan and I have not as yet posted on it. Every day I see this thread and keep meaning to say something on it, but then forget to get around to it.

And now we're half-way through May and his Star of the Month time is running out (well, two more weeks...)

And by now there's probably nothing I can say about him here that hasn't already been said. Serves me right for taking so long to get around to posting on this thread.

Oh well, anyway:  I really love Robert Ryan, he's one of my top ten favourite classic movie actors. He's such a good actor, he conveys so much just in his face, in his eyes. As I'm sure just about everyone else here has already said (full disclosure: I've not read the whole thread yet), even when he's playing a really horrible person (and we all know how good he was at that), there's something in his eyes that elicits your sympathy. For instance, the loathsome character he plays in Crossfire is both contemptible and sad. Those Robert Ryan eyes somehow make us feel sorry for him - as well as detesting him, of course ! It's as though Ryan knows how messed-up a person like that is, and finds the lonely insecure mentally ill sadness in him as well as the monster.

A list of a few other Robert Ryan films I think are great ( but guess what, I won't be providing an "explanation" of why I've picked these !  - - for the simple reason that I don't have the time right now, maybe I'll come back and edit in " a few words" for each pick)

Act of ViolenceThe Naked Spur, and The Racket  (this last, I love the way he keeps calling Lizabeth Scott, "dime a dozen".)

• Like 3

I could talk endlessly about Robert Ryan movies and the man himself and say things I have already stated or others would  have stated, MissWonderly  and not tire of repeating it.

The first Robert Ryan film I saw where I knew who he was : The Dirty Dozen.

I cannot remember what the actual first film I saw him in before I knew who he was.

I have a feeling with my love of Robert Mitchum and Robert Young that it was likely Crossfire.

[. . . . ]even when he's playing a really horrible person (and we all know how good he was at that), there's something in his eyes that elicits your sympathy. For instance, the loathsome character he plays in Crossfire is both contemptible and sad. Those Robert Ryan eyes somehow make us feel sorry for him - as well as detesting him, of course ! It's as though Ryan knows how messed-up a person like that is, and finds the lonely insecure mentally ill sadness in him as well as the monster.

Thanks.  That's a new way of looking at his performances I'll have in mind the next time I watch his movies.

• Like 1

Thanks.  That's a new way of looking at his performances I'll have in mind the next time I watch his movies.

Have you read the links that mr6666 shared.

He shares a lot of pain in that letter.

Have you watched About Mrs. leslie yet, slaytonf?

It's the most beautiful film I've seen.

Have you read the links that mr6666 shared.

He shares a lot of pain in that letter.

Have you watched About Mrs. leslie yet, slaytonf?

It's the most beautiful film I've seen.

I haven't read the articles.  Not sure if I will.  I'm ambivalent about how people's experiences are used in explaining their actions or thinking.  I started watching About Mrs. Leslie, but I have to admit, it didn't resonate with me.  I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I haven't read the articles.  Not sure if I will.  I'm ambivalent about how people's experiences are used in explaining their actions or thinking.  I started watching About Mrs. Leslie, but I have to admit, it didn't resonate with me.  I'm glad you enjoyed it.

The article has little to do with his acting.  It has more to do with his life growing up and how his father's construction business was involved in Chicago's changing regulations about safety.

I admit that I am not sure when, or if, I will be ready to read Glenn Ford: a Life which his son wrote.

I'm a big Glenn Ford fan.

For those here who revere Robert Ryan, you might enjoy seeing his appearance on the tv show, "What's My Line" from October, 1962.

He was on the show with his Broadway co-star, Nanette Fabray as the Mystery Guests with the usual suspects on the panel of Bennett Cerf, Arlene Francis, the annoying Dorothy Kilgallen and guest panelist, Harry Belafonte.

I noticed Ryan has very very interesting handwriting.

Check it out:

Oh, postscript time!

Just found another "WML" episode with Ryan as a panelist from May 11, 1958 to advertise his film "God's Little Acre". Check this one out too:

• Like 5

The Naked Spur

I just finished watching Ryan in the "Naked Spur" .  This is the way I like Ryan the best, he plays a rascal so well that you can tell he is absolutely enjoying the part.  As said many times before he can play it all.  But I think he is best when playing the dirty rascal.  I love him in this film, all of his films for that matter.  The "Naked Spur" has to be my favorite performance of his.  What a legend!!!!

• Like 4

The Naked Spur

I just finished watching Ryan in the "Naked Spur" .  This is the way I like Ryan the best, he plays a rascal so well that you can tell he is absolutely enjoying the part.  As said many times before he can play it all.  But I think he is best when playing the dirty rascal.  I love him in this film, all of his films for that matter.  The "Naked Spur" has to be my favorite performance of his.  What a legend!!!!

The Naked Spur is one of my favourite Robert Ryan films.

I meant to watch it as it aired today, but I was busy, so I recorded it instead to watch later.

I think I`ve recorded over half of the films of Ryan`s SOTM so far whether the films are new to me or one of my favorites.

I am going to start reading "Robert Ryan:  A Biography and Critical Filmography" by Franklin Jarlett (McFarland).  Last night I read some of his interesting comments in the Filmography section.  Also caught The Naked Spur which I've seen before but I always manage to miss the first 15 minutes or so which I did again yesterday.  Loved Ryan's performance and how he played on the other characters' weaknesses.  Jimmy Stewart is no slouch, either.