Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for an Eastwood movie

dmedsnoman

I am looking for a Clint Eastwood movie. I do not know the name or when it was made. I do remember a scene from the movie.

The scene is set in a town square, Clint Eastwood is going against a gun fighter that doesn't miss. I believe that there is a gentleman keeping score on how many shots were fired against Eastwood. At the end of the fight Eastwood throws up his poncho and he has a metal plate underneath it with all the bullets hitting him in the heart.

I seen this movie when I was younger and I haven't seen it since. Any help would be great.

This was either "Fistful of Dollars" or "For a Few Dollars More." I'm not sure which, but I know it was one of the follow-up spaghetti westerns to "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly." One of the more informed members will be along soon to tell you which of the two it was.

CharlieT

And, just to straighten out the details, the correct order was:

1. A Fistful of Dollars

2. For a Few Dollars More

3. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The order really doesn't matter though because they do not contain a continuous storyline.

Hey Charlie T,

Do you really live near the filming location of Home in Indiana? I just watched that the other day and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yep, the final racing scenes were shot at the county fairgrounds. I lived about 500 feet from the fence that separated the fairgrounds from our neighborhood. The grandstand that is shown in the final racing scenes was one of my playgrounds along with the livestock barns (not the horse barns, though.) My mom said she remembered seeing Ward Bond and Walter Brennan. One of the older guys I worked with claimed he took out June Haver while they were in town. The biggest difference in the look of the racetrack was that it was filmed before the Veteran's Memorial Coliseum was built at the north end of the track. Other than that, it was almost exactly as I remembered it growing up. I always try to catch the film whenever it is on just to step back in time to those callow days of my misspent youth. :)

I now live on the other side of town and the grandstands have been torn down and replaced by a more modern style and most of the trees that were in the infield of the track have been cut down and the original horse barns have burned down and been replaced, but the memories are still there.

Thanks for asking.

CharlieT

Thanks for the memories, Charlie T. I always enjoy rural movies because of their settings and the kind of folks that inhabit them. Typically, the horse-racing yarns seem to fit these settings best. I always wondered if movies like Home in Indiana and State Fair (1945) utilized actual places for their backgrounds. It's sad to hear that most of the original structures are no longer in existence, but at least you still have the memories.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree totally, Gerb. There's another of this sub-genre I'd like to catch or rent, Green Grass of Wyoming starring Charles Coburn as the nasty guy, Robert Arthur in the Lon McCalister role and some other notables including Lloyd Nolan, Burl Ives, and an appearance by Marilyn Monroe IMDB says is unconfirmed. Peggy Cummins provided the love interest. Released in 1948.

As I remember it's about sulky racing and trotters or pacers. Sounds a bit out of place or character for Wyoming but it's about rural folks and setttings, so why not cut it some slack.

Wonder if someone's compiled a list of films with rural settings? Quite a refreshing change from the urban settings dominating films today. I'm thinking of more light and pleasant fare than The Grapes of Wrath and The River, etc. More on the order of The Egg and I, the Kettle series, and some of the films mentioned, including the Flicka films, Ol' Yellar. Anyone have some favorites that may have slipped into obscurity?. My favorite might be The Sun Comes Up with Jeannette MacDonald, Lloyd Nolan, Percy Kilbride, Margaret Hamilton, and my boyhood hero, Claude Jarman, Jr.

When I was working on compiling a complete filmography of 20th Century-Fox films from the first crack of the sound barrier to 1960, I noticed how often this genre popped up. "Green Grass of Wyoming" is one of the many that I noticed. I've never seen it, but it sounds interesting. FMC is notorious for replaying "Nerds" and other newer movies way too much, but at least they manage to slip in a few "new" old ones on me each month. Maybe this one will come on some time in the near future. Another rustic-sounding series from Fox in the late 30s starred the Jones Family. I've never seen any of them, but I've read a lot about them. I think there were 17 in all. I'm guessing that they are similar in nature to the Kettle movies.

• 3 months later...

Archived