Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Life Imitates Art

CaveGirl

I heard the news today that the body of a climber was found after sixteen years on Mount Everest and his wife says that he seemed frozen in time. He was preserved by the ice and that and his clothing were the keys to identifying him.

This reminded me of a famous "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" episode called "The Crystal Trench" wherein a man is trapped in ice in an avalanche and his wife tries for years to find his body, which finally is discovered in the same state as the climber written about below.

AFP synopsis:

When Stella Ballister's husband dies in a mountain-climbing accident, he falls into a crevasse and is frozen within a glacier. Stella waits for the glacier to move so that she can see the frozen and perfectly preserved body of her husband. When it finally does so, she is shocked to discover that her husband's corpse is wearing a locket that contains a picture of another woman. 

Can you name a movie or tv episode which seemed prescient in this way?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/02/world/alex-lowe-climber-body/

I heard the news today that the body of a climber was found after sixteen years on Mount Everest and his wife says that he seemed frozen in time. He was preserved by the ice and that and his clothing were the keys to identifying him.

This reminded me of a famous "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" episode called "The Crystal Trench" wherein a man is trapped in ice in an avalanche and his wife tries for years to find his body, which finally is discovered in the same state as the climber written about below.

IIRC that short story was inspired by real life incidents, so it wasn't exactly "prescient".

Anyway, a 1970s Ellery Queen episode concerned a conceited movie star (Tab Hunter) who is killed on the set when a prop gun turns out to be loaded with live cartridges. In the '90s Brandon Lee (Bruce's son) would be killed in the same manner on the set of a film called The Crow.

IIRC that short story was inspired by real life incidents, so it wasn't exactly "prescient".

Anyway, a 1970s Ellery Queen episode concerned a conceited movie star (Tab Hunter) who is killed on the set when a prop gun turns out to be loaded with live cartridges. In the '90s Brandon Lee (Bruce's son) would be killed in the same manner on the set of a film called The Crow.

Yes, after seeing that episode I got the story it was based on and read it. Just didn't want to put too much info on the post, since more people have probably seen the AHP episode than read the tale.

Your entry is very eerie, since other than the "conceited" bit it does seem to be quite prescient.

I forgot to mention the irony that in the AH episode, the point of the story is that the widow of the climber waited years and never married the man who was with her when the climb went wrong, but in real life the climber found on Everest's widow married his best friend, another climber and did not wait years for his body to be found. Can't blame her though.

Thanks, Sam...oops, I mean Richard!

Your entry is very eerie, since other than the "conceited" bit it does seem to be quite prescient.

The Brandon Lee incident was an accident (last I heard, at least). Of course the other being an Ellery Queen episode, while believed to be accidental at first, turns out to really be murder. Don't want to say anymore as that might give away the whodunnit.

Anyone curious can watch the episode at Hulu. It's set in a 1940s movie studio and is quite entertaining. Vincent Price plays a movie director.

• Like 2

I doubt this fits...

But the other day I watched a rerun of "Law and Order: SVU"  in which a kid shot and crippled by one of the squad was named YUSEF.

About three or so minutes after the episode ended, I signed into a music forum I bleong to and from another member's thread learned of the death of long time jazz saxophone giant YUSEF LATEEF!

Sepiatone

I doubt this fits...

But the other day I watched a rerun of "Law and Order: SVU"  in which a kid shot and crippled by one of the squad was named YUSEF.

About three or so minutes after the episode ended, I signed into a music forum I bleong to and from another member's thread learned of the death of long time jazz saxophone giant YUSEF LATEEF!

Sepiatone

Well, that kinda fits in a sort of offshoot way, Sepia!

A man I worked with, said he once started thinking about the song "Hillbilly Heaven" and the next thing he heard on the tv, was that Tex Ritter had died.

AFP synopsis:

When Stella Ballister's husband dies in a mountain-climbing accident, he falls into a crevasse and is frozen within a glacier. Stella waits for the glacier to move so that she can see the frozen and perfectly preserved body of her husband. When it finally does so, she is shocked to discover that her husband's corpse is wearing a locket that contains a picture of another woman. 

Those are 2 different incidents, the climbers were buried in an avalanche and Stella's husband fell into a crevasse which are quite deep.  She must had a l-o-n-g wait for the glacier to move.  His name wouldn't be Ötzi? :huh: 

Far as life imitating art, the politics / big brother watching you in "Babylon 5" is coming true.

seesay_0.jpg

Babylon 5

the-fall-of-night-08.jpg

Those are 2 different incidents, the climbers were buried in an avalanche and Stella's husband fell into a crevasse which are quite deep.  She must had a l-o-n-g wait for the glacier to move.  His name wouldn't be Ötzi? :huh: 

Far as life imitating art, the politics / big brother watching you in "Babylon 5" is coming true.

seesay_0.jpg

Babylon 5

the-fall-of-night-08.jpg

OMG, are you trying to put me in a home, Hamradio?

Must we quibble that the one guy was in the Alps and the other was in the Himalayas, when my point was that both were found years later preserved in ice, and both had wives who have aged yet both of the lost mountaineers seemingly has been preserved in the ice at a younger age and appearance.

Don't make me come beat on you with a dvd copy of Babylon 5.

Life imitating art, does not have to have every exact element of the original story to be the same, just the most salient points for clarification if anyone else decides to nitpick, and then I will smack them with a mountain goat's wet goatee.

What about Jon-Erik Hexum's accidental death on the set of the 80s crime series Cover-Up...?

OMG, are you trying to put me in a home, Hamradio?

Must we quibble that the one guy was in the Alps and the other was in the Himalayas, when my point was that both were found years later preserved in ice, and both had wives who have aged yet both of the lost mountaineers seemingly has been preserved in the ice at a younger age and appearance.

Don't make me come beat on you with a dvd copy of Babylon 5.

Life imitating art, does not have to have every exact element of the original story to be the same, just the most salient points for clarification if anyone else decides to nitpick, and then I will smack them with a mountain goat's wet goatee.

You are correct that both scenarios of the climbers and Stella's husband are similar in that both were encase in ice.  The "waiting for the glacier to move" is what got my attention.

You are correct that both scenarios of the climbers and Stella's husband are similar in that both were encase in ice.  The "waiting for the glacier to move" is what got my attention.

Snookums, I just find that bit about both bodies being able to be seen through the ice, sounds like something out of a Poe story.

I shall have to reread the original story. The bit in the AHP episode where the naive wife looks through the crystal trench to see the young face of her hubby and then spots the locket, is unbelievably sad. Particularly since she is now aged and has refused to marry the faithful suitor for lo those many years, thinking that she had the perfect husband and marriage.

What about Jon-Erik Hexum's accidental death on the set of the 80s crime series Cover-Up...?

Wasn't that some sort of Russian Roulette? The Ellery Queen episode concerned an actor being shot on the set by another actor with a prop gun, as part of a scripted filming, which is what happened on the set of The Crow.

• Like 1

Wasn't that some sort of Russian Roulette? The Ellery Queen episode concerned an actor being shot on the set by another actor with a prop gun, as part of a scripted filming, which is what happened on the set of The Crow.

Yes. I think Hexum's death was the result of a prank that turned deadly. But I remember a big deal was made about it and about safety with firearms on Hollywood sets.

I want to chastize myself for admittedly somewhat desecrating the original meaning of "life imitating art" which is a bit more about that, for example one seeing a Turner landscape in an oil, would then view a real landscape influenced by the way it was painted.

So it is not just about the same storyline being recreated.

Just wanted to clear up that both ideas work for me in this post.

Mea culpa!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings