Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Narration

CaveGirl

Now I'd like to be classy and say my favorite movie narrator is the great Kim Stanley, as the adult Scout in "To Kill a Mockingbird" but I'd be lying.

My favorite is really Ed MacMahon as the narrator of the classic "Daughter of Horror" [aka "Dementia"] which if you don't remember is the film being shown at the movie theatre, in "The Blob" with Steve McQueen.

Who do you enjoy most as a narrator?

• Like 2

Who do you enjoy most as a narrator?

Stock film of battleships, steaming on the seas. Stirring music plays over.

JOHN CLEESE (booming): There have been many stirring tales told of the sea, and also some fairly uninteresting ones only marginally connected with it, like this one. (meekly) I'm sorry, this isn't a very good introduction.

Stock film of battleships, steaming on the seas. Stirring music plays over.

JOHN CLEESE (booming): There have been many stirring tales told of the sea, and also some fairly uninteresting ones only marginally connected with it, like this one. (meekly) I'm sorry, this isn't a very good introduction.

Great choice!

I'd listen to anything Basil Fawlty narrated.

• Like 1

(Stock footage of Welsh mountains, then a Welsh coal mine)

JOHN CLEESE (booming) The coal miners of Wales have long been famed for their tough rugged life hewing the black gold from the uncompromising hell of one mile under. This is the story of such men, battling gallantly against floods, roof falls, the English criminal law, the hidden killer carbon monoxide and the ever-present threat of pneumoconiosis which is... (flustered) er, um... a disease miners get.

Can't argue against any listed so far.

Can only add:

MORGAN FREEMAN (narration of "March Of The Penguins")

DAVID McCOLLOUGH( narration of "Seabiscuit"--2003)

PETER BULL (narration of A CHRISTMAS CAROL--1951)

There's some slight narration JIMMY STEWART does in his movie "Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacaction" that he handles very well.  as does SPENCER TRACY in "Father Of The Bride".

The ones I mentioned up there I think offer narration in other movies I can't think of right now.  But one thing is CLEAR----

The WORST and MOST BORING narration done by ANY actor in ANY movie is KEVIN COSTNER narrating ANYTHING!

He comes off like the dumbest kid in class reading an assignment out loud.  Why, a DEAD LEAF shows more emotion!

Sepiatone

Linda Manz, who plays Richard Gere's little sister in Terrence Malick's "Days of Heaven" (1978), was an interesting -- and unforgettable -- choice to provide the movie's narration.

• Like 1

Martin Sheen's voiceovers for Francis Ford Coppola's "Apocalypse Now" were so brilliant...

...you couldn't help thinking about them when his son Charlie performed the same duties for "Platoon" (1986).

• Like 3

Ahhhh...and THEN there's Dan Aykroyd's spot on Jack Webb-esque narration in the 1987 movie DRAGNET here...

(...only the names were changed to protect the innocent...dum dee DUM dum)

• Like 2

The stentorian voice of Reed Hadley in those Fox docudramas of the late 1940s.

I LOVE Reed Hadley and you are so right about the voice, and the word "stentorian" really captures his sound.

Thanks, Fedya!

James Mason in the animated short "The Tell-Tale Heart"  (1953).

Vincent Price narrating the AIP E. A. Poe films (any of them).

Orson Welles narrating "Rikki Tikki Tavi" (1974, animated).

Wow, three of the best voices to hear on film. Thanks, FL!

• Like 1

Can't argue against any listed so far.

Can only add:

MORGAN FREEMAN (narration of "March Of The Penguins")

DAVID McCOLLOUGH( narration of "Seabiscuit"--2003)

PETER BULL (narration of A CHRISTMAS CAROL--1951)

There's some slight narration JIMMY STEWART does in his movie "Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacaction" that he handles very well.  as does SPENCER TRACY in "Father Of The Bride".

The ones I mentioned up there I think offer narration in other movies I can't think of right now.  But one thing is CLEAR----

The WORST and MOST BORING narration done by ANY actor in ANY movie is KEVIN COSTNER narrating ANYTHING!

He comes off like the dumbest kid in class reading an assignment out loud.  Why, a DEAD LEAF shows more emotion!

Sepiatone

Hey, Sepia you just taught me something.

I love ACC from 1951 but I guess am usually so engrossed in the story that I never paid attention to the narration. Thanks for the reminder of who it was, and I can hear now in my head the ending bit, where the narrator says something about that Scrooge was afterwards noted for something like "how well he kept Christmas" or whatever.

Next time I shall pay attention to Bull.

Linda Manz, who plays Richard Gere's little sister in Terrence Malick's "Days of Heaven" (1978), was an interesting -- and unforgettable -- choice to provide the movie's narration.

Ya know, interesting you say that, Jakeem because I once had an argument with someone was was totally disgusted with Manz and her readings but I liked her and the sound of her voice. She truly sounded like a kid who had no schooling and was a bit itinerant which is what the movie calls for, which made sense that she was pronouncing some words oddly.

Of course, I like all Malick films and that one is my favorite. Thanks!

Ahhhh...and THEN there's Dan Aykroyd's spot on Jack Webb-esque narration in the 1987 movie DRAGNET here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcMSiqo3g7k

(...only the names were changed to protect the innocent...dum dee DUM dum)

Ya know, Dargo they say that Jack Webb would work incidental actors on the set, over and over again in reading their lines because he wanted no intonation or expressive feeling in their line takes.

I kinda dig that very unexpressive style too. So much better than overacting for sure. My favorite episode is the one with Michael Burns as I think, the Blue Boy? Thanks for your as always astute observations.

• Like 1

Just wanna say here I thought Sigourney Weaver did a great job at narrating the "Cinema's Exiles" documentary I watched last evening on TCM.

(...nice to hear a woman's voice for once in these kinds of things...seems a seldom occurrence) 

• Like 3

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings