Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Movies Of 2 May 2016 Are Dedicated To ...

Palmerin

... the tender subject of love among siblings.

With what siblings did you share your growing years? I have a younger brother and a kid sister, plus a stepsister born out of wedlock whom my stepfather recognized as his child.

For you compatriots of Alcott, Cukor, and Katharine Hepburn, a language lesson.

There are two ways of translating LITTLE WOMEN into Spanish: the literal MUJERCITAS and LAS CUATRO HERMANITAS=THE FOUR LITTLE SISTERS. MUJERCITA is risky because it's often used to signify woman of low character and morals; for ex., a biography of Madame de Pompadour mentions a mujercita who tried without success to take P's place as the mistress of Louis XV.

Amazing, how tricky language can be; mistress was once the female equivalent of mister.

Sibling rivalry as high drama:

In the movies: Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

In real life: Olivia DeHavilland and Joan Fontaine

(I'm the youngest of four, with two brothers and a sister, but I haven't spoken to two of my siblings in almost twenty years.)

I had(he died five years ago last month) an older brother, I also have a much younger "KiD" half-sister( whom I DON'T think of in that term) plus a one year older tham me step brother, a three year older step sister, and had two other step sisters( blood siblings of the aforementioned) who died earlier in the 2000's.  One of THEM( Gloria) was my first sort of guitar teacher.

My mom married my stepfather(whom I always called "dad") 57 years ago last month(April 11) .

I was since 2011 struck by the coincidence that my brother died on that date.

My brother and me used to enjoy(as kids) watching old Weismuller TARZAN flicks on CBC, and "Bill Kennedy Presents" on the same channel.  His interest didn't wander into trivial knowledge or any of the ways WE discuss movies in this forum, he just liked the STORIES, and couldn't care less about who was who or who directed what.  I'd have to say JOHN WAYNE and HUMPHREY BOGART were his favorite movie "stars", as well as THE DEAD END KIDS before their tenures as THE EAST SIDE KIDS and THE BOWERY BOYS.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I had(he died five years ago last month) an older brother, I also have a much younger "KiD" half-sister( whom I DON'T think of in that term) plus a one year older tham me step brother, a three year older step sister, and had two other step sisters( blood siblings of the aforementioned) who died earlier in the 2000's.  One of THEM( Gloria) was my first sort of guitar teacher.

My mom married my stepfather(whom I always called "dad") 57 years ago last month(April 11) .

I was since 2011 struck by the coincidence that my brother died on that date.

My brother and me used to enjoy(as kids) watching old Weismuller TARZAN flicks on CBC, and "Bill Kennedy Presents" on the same channel.  His interest didn't wander into trivial knowledge or any of the ways WE discuss movies in this forum, he just liked the STORIES, and couldn't care less about who was who or who directed what.  I'd have to say JOHN WAYNE and HUMPHREY BOGART were his favorite movie "stars", as well as THE DEAD END KIDS before their tenures as THE EAST SIDE KIDS and THE BOWERY BOYS.

Sepiatone

My brother basically treats movies as an undemanding way to kill a couple of hours; he watches them, and that's it; I doubt he even remembers them. For deep cinema art conversation I have to resort to my cousins, one of which actually works in the movie industry.

• Like 1

I am not close to either of my siblings (a brother and a sister). I was the oldest (still am). I never got along with my brother growing up (5 year age difference) and there was such an age gap between me and my sister (10 years) there wasnt much there either. We dont have anything in common and I dont see them often or talk on the phone. I dont dislike them or anything, it's just like we are strangers. I envy people who have a close relationship with a sibling(s). I never had that and often feel like an outsider with my own family. I always went my own way..........

• Like 2

I am not close to either of my siblings (a brother and a sister). I was the oldest (still am). I never got along with my brother growing up (5 year age difference) and there was such an age gap between me and my sister (10 years) there wasnt much there either. We dont have anything in common and I dont see them often or talk on the phone. I dont dislike them or anything, it's just like we are strangers. I envy people who have a close relationship with a sibling(s). I never had that and often feel like an outsider with my own family. I always went my own way..........

My relationship with my own siblings was a lot more tumultuous, but once I was able to cut the cord things improved for me 5000%.  Thankfully, my parents weren't around when that happened, which would have upset them...

On a movie note, two of my siblings watched a lot of classic movies, so that helped get me interested in old movies initially (though not to the degree I am now).  My sister liked films like "Miracle on 34th Street" and "March of the Wooden Soldiers", and my brother liked Abbott and Costello, The Marx Brothers and a lot of Frankenstein/monster flicks.

My relationship with my own siblings was a lot more tumultuous, but once I was able to cut the cord things improved for me 5000%.  Thankfully, my parents weren't around when that happened, which would have upset them...

On a movie note, two of my siblings watched a lot of classic movies, so that helped get me interested in old movies initially (though not to the degree I am now).  My sister liked movies like "Miracle on 34th Street" and "March of the Wooden Soldiers", and my brother liked Abbott and Costello, The Marx Brothers and a lot of Frankenstein/monster flicks.

Yeah, sometimes you just have to do that. Just because you are related doesnt mean you will get along. It often just isnt in the cards. And no amount of family "ties" thinking is going to change that...........

• Like 1

Yeah, sometimes you just have to do that. Just because you are related doesnt mean you will get along. It often just isnt in the cards. And no amount of family "ties" thinking is going to change that...........

Luckily, I was never served rat for dinner like poor Blanche Hudson, lol...

• Like 1

Loyalty is highly prized by both my families. One of the brothers of my stepfather lost his wife and children because of his alcoholism, but his eight brothers and three sisters never deserted him. My mother still grieves the passing of two of her sisters, and I am sure she would rather die than be left behind by her other two sisters, both of whom are in very poor health.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings