Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
hlywdkjk

LATimes talks to Dick Cavett

This past Sunday's LATimes included a brief interview with Dick Cavett about his upcoming appearances on TCM. Here's a link to the article -

http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/video/cl-ca-brief3sep03,0,1524596.story

He sounds truly thrilled that TCM is showing the old shows and excited about the new Mel Brooks interview. I am actually looking forward to all of them too. (I know. I know. I wasn't too thrilled when they were first announced. What can I say. Just fickle, I guess.)

Check it out.

Kyle In Hollywood

I'm really looking forward to seeing these shows again, I was around for the first time, and remember them fondly. He does sound like he's hyped. It will be good to se him again.

Anne

I wonder if they will show the interview with John Lennon I remember that one and am much looking forward to the many actors and actresses interviews

One of the interviews that sticks in my mind is one he did with Katharine Hepburn. Cavett was asking her about not using drugs or alcohol, and she said, "Cold sober, I find myself utterly fascinating." I hope TCM runs that one so I can find out if I've remembered her words verbatim.

DavidE

DavidEnglish -

TCM has scheduled two Katharine Hepburn/Dick Cavett episodes in October. The first episode airs Thursday, October 19th and the second Thursday October 26th. Both episodes are listed as having been originally broadcast in 1973.

I hope one of the two episodes can confirm the quote you remember.

Kyle In Hollywood

Hello, David.

You are correct about Katharine Hepburn.

In one of the promos for the Cavett series of interviews, you can hear her saying, "...I find myself utterly fascinating." I can't recall if they edited the "Cold sober..." bit, though.

The Mitchum interview is definitely on my "to watch" list; actually, the rest are too.

That's cool. Thanks, wordmaster. So, I didn't imagine it or dream it one night. Sounds like it will definitely be in one of the two shows. I also remember her explaining why she felt she couldn?t have both an acting career and children. That was in a Cavett interview, so it may also turn up in one of the two October shows

DavidE

And now the NYTimes chimes in - at least in regards to the original episode taped with Mel Brooks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/07/arts/07cave.html

Registration required so here is a copy and paste (or should I say Cringe and cower. Ouch.)

September 7, 2006

TV Review

Interviewer of Old Is Back and Sounding, Well, Old

By VIRGINIA HEFFERNAN

With its crazy flower-power set, jazzy theme song and halting leading men, “The Dick Cavett Show”— the new “Dick Cavett Show,” on Turner Classic Movies tonight — is almost incomprehensible. Old Mr. Cavett, his yachtsman’s baritone more measured but still strong, interviews Mel Brooks on tonight’s installment. They discuss cold-war-era subjects like Yugoslavia, psychoanalysis and Sid Caesar — all in high-def. It’s feels as if something’s wrong with the television set.

Mr. Cavett, 69, and Mr. Brooks, 80, sit side by side, reminiscing about the old days and replaying the urbane banter of the bygone Judeo-Episcopate elite. Mr. Cavett opens by paraphrasing a profile of Mr. Brooks by Kenneth Tynan, saying that “to be Jewish, Brooklyn-born, fatherless, impoverished and below-average stature, well, no more classic recipe could be assigned for an American comedian.”

It’s kind of a weird line, and you hope it passes. But Mr. Cavett only pushes the weirdness, adding, “Or, one might suppose, an American suicide.”

Huh? The implications of this — that being Jewish should make you want to kill yourself? — are apparently not lost on Mr. Brooks, who when he settles in can’t get his mind off what a non-Jew Mr. Cavett is. “You’re such a WASP target, you know?” he says.

Mr. Cavett concedes, “I come from a long line of pilgrims.” That does not placate Mr. Brooks: “You should be in a wax museum as ‘The Gentile.’ ”

Easy there, guys.

This is a broadcast for buffs only. It’s not unlike “geriatric1927,” the video series on YouTube in which an old man just tells the story of his life, no pandering, no apologizing for anachronisms. Mr. Cavett, who now looks like George H. W. Bush, is a soothing presence — kindly, self-effacing, physically still — and a good listener. He doesn’t steal punch lines. But he doesn’t laugh much either. He hardly opens his narrow lips. He doesn’t exactly seem to be raring to go after all these years out of the spotlight.

The discussion moves to Jerome Rodale, the pioneer of organic gardening and publisher of health books who, astoundingly, died of a heart attack on Mr. Cavett’s old talk show in 1971. (That show was never broadcast.) This story, which Mr. Cavett must have told a million times, now seems a little bit melancholy. Maybe he should retire it. There’s nothing funny about dying on television.

THE DICK CAVETT SHOW

Turner Classic Movies, tonight at 8, Eastern and Pacific times; 7, Central time.

Directed, written and produced by Robert Trachtenberg. Dick Cavett, host. Guest, Mel Brooks.