Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Doctor Gogol and Mister Hyde

CaveGirl

By now, most of us have been aware of the similarities between certain aspects of the films "Mad Love" and "Citizen Kane". Now of course we are not talking about the entire movie plots or characters, but the noted resemblance of Peter Lorre as the bald Gogol and Welles as the elderly Charles Foster Kane, with similar looks.

There is also the resemblance to the Grand Guignol effect of the mansions of both men, and of course who can forget the most outre aspect of both films as seen in the cockatoo scenes.

I mean really, don't both films have a strange hypnotic quality when we see that dang white cockatoo?

Now we can attribute this perhaps in some sense to the participation of famed cinematographer Gregg Toland on both pictures. Maybe he had a thing for shooting lighting off bald pates and got a thrill out of the possibilities of cockatoos waking up an audience, as Welles had once said was his motive for including the freaky shot of the bird, just as Susan Alexander walks out on Kane.

But "Mad Love" is definitely Karl Freund's movie, so it also may just be the German Expressionism bowing its head in Kane, since Toland was only co-cameraman with Chester Lyons also at the helm.

No matter, it still is fun to wonder if "Mad Love" with its fantastical story about a Pygmalion and his Galatea, could have a bit influenced the ideas in "CK" since Kane does try to create a woman worthy of himself also in Susan.

Thinking about how one movie may have even small bits of a homage to another earlier film, keeps me off the streets and out of trouble, so if you can name some others that do the same it would be most appreciated. Remember, the films do not have to be exact duplicates but just have some bit in them which is reminiscent of another earlier film in settings, character looks or dialogue or whatever you like.

The only movie I do not want to hear about is "Xanadu" with Olivia Newton-John!

Just four movies that are salutes to Hitchcock:

"Charade" (1963)--Takes on some of his 1930's British films to his late 1950's films.

"High Anxiety" (1977)--Only sporadically funny, this is an obvious but loving spoof.  People tend to love the film or hate it.

"Foul Play" (1978)--Is a continuous riff on Hitchcock themes, scenes, and plot structure--One favorite scene from FP has Goldie Hawn dispatching an assailant in a similar manner as a Hitchcock film from the 50's, to the stage scenery taking out a character--but if I listed more, I'd be spoiling your fun.

"Serial Mom" (1994)--Is another riff on Hitchcock scenes.  Best scene IMHO is a takeoff from "Alfred Hitchcock Presents' television series--initials of the episode are"LttS"  Count the films (and scenes) spoofed.

"Charade" (1963)--Takes on some of his 1930's British films to his late 1950's films.

"High Anxiety" (1977)--Only sporadically funny, this is an obvious but loving spoof.  People tend to love the film or hate it.

"Foul Play" (1978)--Is a continuous riff on Hitchcock themes, scenes, and plot structure--One favorite scene from FP has Goldie Hawn dispatching an assailant in a similar manner as a Hitchcock film from the 50's, to the stage scenery taking out a character--but if I listed more, I'd be spoiling your fun.

"Serial Mom" (1994)--Is another riff on Hitchcock scenes.  Best scene IMHO is a takeoff from "Alfred Hitchcock Presents' television series--initials of the episode are"LttS"  Count the films (and scenes) spoofed.

pLhhDux.jpg

eorL3Ga.jpg

NL9tChV.jpg

8Jb4RCf.jpg

• Like 1

By now, most of us have been aware of the similarities between certain aspects of the films "Mad Love" and "Citizen Kane".

Chris O'Donnell and Orson Welles' characters have so much in common. :P
  • Like 2

I love "HA" and I adore "SM".

Thanks, FL!

• Like 1

pLhhDux.jpg

eorL3Ga.jpg

NL9tChV.jpg

8Jb4RCf.jpg

OMG, where is Jean Arless today? I know I've looked her up before. I feel sorry for that poor desk clerk guy she offs and then of course poor Helga, who only tried to help when she had her surgery. The way Warren keeps threatening her with that knife and then the last ride down that stairway elevator chair is horrendous to be sure.

Now "Sisters" has the great scene where Margot puts that guy in the couch and what a mess! I think that guy who looks like Donald Sutherland deserved what he got though. I love Jean Moreau in the Cornell Woolrich tale too, but I only watch Hope to see Gail and Zucco in that film but thanks for all the great entries!

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings