Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MikeBSG

The Wicker Man

Since the remake is out, and apparently widely panned, I thought we might discuss the original "Wicker Man."

Despite its reputation as "the Citizen Kane of the horror film," I have mixed feelings about it. Edward Woodward is superb as the hero, and Christopher Lee is good as the bad guy. However, I would cheerfully cut the songs from the movie, and the structure, in which nothing happens until the end can be a little tedious at times.

But while I think the original is overrated and takes itself too seriously, I also get upset when people, usually theater owners, dismiss the movie. "I showed this cult movie, and the cult never showed up," is a complaint I've heard on a few occasions.

Does anyone else have any reactions to this movie?

I completely agree with you. It still creeps me out.

As for the remake? I'll rent it when it comes out on dvd.

There was also another remake of this film in the 80's titled different, I wish I could remember it, I think it was made for BBC, it was not half bad, not as weird or unique as the first, handled more like mystery.

<< There was also another remake of this film in the 80's titled different, I wish I could remember it, I think it was made for BBC, it was not half bad, not as weird or unique as the first, handled more like mystery.>>

No, no new production in the 80's, but the "long cut" was scheduled to be shown in 1988 on BBC, but by a shipping mistake airred what's known as the "comprimised" edit. Maybe you're thing of the truely awful Children of the Corn (1984). There was a lame flick similar to WM, in 1996, Darklands. A reporter investigates Druids in Wales.

The director, Robin Hardy has been trying make a "reimaging" of Wicker Man for decades, rumor is he's got something called "Cowboys for Christ" filming in 2007, about 2 Yank evangelical Christians who travel to the Scotland. (uh oh, not the evil Scotland!) You can get the novel, "Cowboys for Christ" by Hardy at Amazon. (though, I hear it's not so good.)

dwm01.jpg

Cowboys for Christ is a creepy title alone. Sounds weird enough I may want to check it out. The original Wicker Man was a strange movie. I think the music helps make it creepier. The first time I watched it I wasn't sure what was going on but I knew it was going to be a bad situation. Britt Ekland looks fantastic in it by the way. I bet the remake couldn't match her scenes.

There is a review of "The Wicker Man" in the Jan. 2007 issue of Fantasy & Science Fiction written by Lucius Shepherd. He stresses the misogyny of the new version, which he attributes to the director, who had made some waves in art house cinema a few years ago with (non-horror) movies seen as women-hating.

funny, I heard the director interviewed on NPR's "Fresh Air" a few weeks ago, and they didn't even mention "The Wicker Man."

> Does anyone else have any reactions to this movie?

I think it's a great movie. I totally agree about Edward Woodward - it's a superbly judged and very subtle performance. I quite like the pacing - I think it needs to a bit slow, since it has to take him a while to realise what's really going on.

I haven't bothered with the remake.

The first time I watched The Wicker Man(1973) it was something of a struggle, as the slow pace took a little bit of adjusting too, at least for me. The ending took me by surprise, I think because I didn't really understand what was going during Sgt Howie's investigation. I watched it again a week later and enjoyed it much more. Britt Ekland also certainly made an impression. I liked Edward Woodward's performance as the no-nonsense policeman vs the islanders.