Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sheldon

The Wonderful Dick Cavett

I'm really looking forward to Mr. Cavett's interview with Mel Brooks this evening. I always thought his show was incredible. I've been wondering. I haven't heard a great deal of him since his show went off the air. Does anyone know what he's been doing?? I'd love to find out !!

Hi Sheldon I don't know alot about him I watched his shows when I was younger but do share your excitment in these shows coming Inglis

What little I know is he has done some writing. I think he had his own radio show for awhile but I think it was local to NY. I believe he has taken over the announcing roles for the New York Philharmonic. (I did hear him host a classical concert broadcast and I'm pretty sure it was theirs.) Whether this is permanent I'm not sure.

Dick Cavett is also looking swell for his age (he'll be 70 in October). Sadly he lost his wife of over 40 years last July.

I'm also anticipating those interviews which I recall, especially those of Bette Davis, Alfred Hitchcock, Katharine Hepburn, and the one and only Groucho.

Good stuff.

Irene:

I'm sure you've heard the term "That was then, this is now", When you see the repeats of Cavett's shows, you'll see his quick wit, dry humor, and his way of getting the most astounding information out of his guests. Like the posts before you stated, he's near 70, and we all slow down a little sooner or later. In his defense however, he could barely get a word in edgewise, Mel Brooks was downright rude several times by interrupting, and changing the subject. At one point Dick stayed on one idea and three times repeated his opening statement, but each time Brooks went off on his own tangent. Watch the re-runs next week and I think you'll be surprised at a different Dick Cavett.

Anne

Irene,

I really enjoyed it. It was a reminder of what interview shows used to be like not so long ago but an eternity away now.

My only gripe, I wish that Mel had talked a bit more about Anne Bancroft. Their son is quite handsome. Got his mother looks, it seems.

> Not so thrilled with tonight's Dick Cavett show.

> What did you guys think?

I completely misinterpreted the promos. I thought we were going to see the old Cavett shows. It was very nice to see Mel Brooks, but the show was very much the same old, same old. I suppose for those new to TCM, Cavett, and/or Brooks, it was useful, but to me it had the fawning, miss-the-point flavor of one of James Lipton's lesser interviews.

"I completely misinterpreted the promos. I thought we were going to see the old Cavett shows."

No, you got it right. They're going to show the old ones -- starting next week. The premiere night was new (Mel Brooks), to be followed by the older ones. Woody Allen's 1971 interview is next week.

Enjoy.

Unfortunately I have managed to miss most of these. I caught some of Woody Allen, most of Bette Davis... I believe that's it. I'm pouting! I really wanted to see Alfred Hitchcock and Katharine Hepburn, too.

A big *thank you* to TCM for scheduling these. I love it when they throw in relative programming nuggets like this.

I watch Cavett's show strictly for his guests. Cavett is one of the biggest pompous **** who thinks he's hip but is really a ****-poor interviewer. He has nothing over Robert Osborne who know his facts without referring to his cards prepared by his staff like Cavett does. The only thing that Cavett was consistent about in all his years on television was his ability to fail in several shows. I met him in person once and he stuck his nose up in the air when I greeted him and kept walking. In other words he is a no-talent pompous jerk who's best performance was in the film "BeetleJuice" when he swayed back and forth at the dinner table to the song Day-O. He should taken a crash course in the Robert Osborne school of how to properly interview a star. In other words Dick Cavett sucks big time and is a notch above the other ****-kisser who never asked difficult questions to his guests Larry King. The opinion I express is mine and it's from many years of observation of Mister I'm better than you Dick Cavett the friggin creep.

Aftermath

I just watched the Bette Davis interview last night, and it was delightful. My husband and I were impressed by how knowledgeable Cavett's audience was when he quizzed them about Davis movies. And we cracked up when he surprised her with the virginity question, but she came right back at him!

Last summer I read the book her daughter wrote, My Mother's Keeper. Just watching this interview assures me that her daughter is nuts.