Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Couples: On and Off Screen

rio142

There was Kathryn Hepburn and Spencer Tracy, Lauren BcCall and Humphrey Bogart, Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton... They were dynamic both on and off screen. Can any name your favorite Hollywood couples that fit those circumstances?

Besides Tracy and Hepburn, I think Clark Gable and Carole Lombard made a great couple. From what I have read and heard, they were truly in love, and seemed to find happiness with each other - and this is after both of them had been married before, as well as had many affairs. Of course the tragedy of it was Carole's untimely death in a plane crash. Gable went into a deep depression afterwards, and was even suicidal. I think their marriage would've endured had it not been for her death - And no doubt she would have had many more great screen roles as well.

I also think that Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz made a great couple. They got a lot of flack for marrying, since Desi was Cuban. There they were - two stars (really 'B' stars at that time), and they decided to say screw what anyone thinks, and get married anyway. I have always admired that, since in the 50's interracial marriage was still frowned upon. And even though they got a divorce years later, it is still obvious that they were truly in love - I think that's one of the reasons why "I Love Lucy" was so successful - you could see that they loved each other, even in the show.

Another pair was Anne Baxter and John Hodiak. As far as I know they were very happy together. And Ida Lupino and Howard Duff were also a great couple.

How about Joel McRea and Frances Dee?

They met in 1933 on the set of THE SILVER CORD, and were married later that year. Their marriage lasted until his death in 1990. Now that's a pretty successful marriage, I'd say, by any standard. By the way, didn't I see her in the COMPLICATED WOMEN documentary??

• 1 month later...