Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 Films That Everyone Loves But You Don't

> Brad:

>

> ME, Me me, I loved 'Titanic', I even bought it

> from the video store and got lucky, its a good print.

> I also like 'A Night to Remember' and the other

> 'Titanic', I'm just fascinated with the story. I

> admit when the last one came out, I said "how many

> times are they going to re-make that one", but I

> enjoyed it thoroughly. And I was NOT happy when DiC

> turned into a popsicle. I tear up at the end when

> Rose died and they ran the camera over the pictures

> showing she 'lived' as he wanted her to.

>

> Anne

Thanks, Anne, I also think Titanic is very moving. I hate it when Stoneyburke makes her psycho remarks about being glad he turned into a popsicle, which she does EVERY time she posts about it. I just think it's unneccessary. I see A Night to Remember is coming on the 24th, everybody seems to love it. I'll be sure to check it out then.

Brad

Aw, stoney's popsicle comment doesn't bother me. It's kind of funny, in a macabre way. I really liked Titanic, and I think that DiCaprio is a fine actor. I do think that the whole modern day story could have been trimmed waaaay down though, to shorten the length.

Sandy K

Wow! I see some of you don't like some absolutely incredible films (for me anyway). But mine is not to reason 'why' - I'm sure you have your reasons - as wrong as they might be (heheheh just joking!)

I'm sure I've likely answered this question before, in the 700 answers in this thread - but I'm way to lazy to go digging so I'll just answer again, and boy, is it easy!

ANYTHING by Tennessee Williams who I can't stand!!! Yet, actors all wanted to be in his films and many people love them! I think I hate them enough for at least 10-20 people! *grin*

ANYTHING with Liz Taylor who I can't abide. I have real problems though cuz I adore Richard Burton - so often I have to ask myself if I dislike her more or like him more. Then I decide. :-) If there are many people I love in a movie with Liz, then I'll watch it and often enjoy it despite her. Like A Place in the Sun (gotta love Monty). However, even Monty can't make me watch Suddenly, Last Summer - Liz plus Tennessee Williams - NOT!

ANYTHING starring Rock Hudson or Doris Day - especially together. How many ways can you spell 'Yuck"? Although I had to put up with her in The Man Who Knew Too Much - what was with Hitch's head?

Yep, for those of you who don't know me, I've got very strong opinions - or if you look at it my way. I know what I like. :-)

I can't stop at just ten.

2001 Space Odyssey

Oklahoma

Cleopatra with Elizabeth Taylor

The Exorcist

Easter Parade

Funny Face

Any movie with Gene Kelly in it. He just turns me off and makes my skin crawl.

Chicago

Westside Story

A Star is Born - any of them

Any film with Woody Allen in it. Gross, bleck, not funny, 3 bads.

Any film with Marlon Brando in it. Those fake eyebrows in On the Water Front did it for me with this actor. Bad, bad, bad.

> I can't stop at just ten.

>

> 2001 Space Odyssey

> Oklahoma

> Cleopatra with Elizabeth Taylor

> The Exorcist

> Easter Parade

> Funny Face

> Any movie with Gene Kelly in it. He just turns me

> off and makes my skin crawl.

> Chicago

> Westside Story

> A Star is Born - any of them

> Any film with Woody Allen in it. Gross, bleck, not

> funny, 3 bads.

> Any film with Marlon Brando in it. Those fake

> eyebrows in On the Water Front did it for me with

> this actor. Bad, bad, bad.

Hi, welcome aboard. I totally disagree about Funny Face and West Side Story, those are two of my favorite musicals. And Gene Kelly's dancing and singing is a joy to behold. But I love musicals, I can't possibly be in a bad mood after seeing a good musical.

Brad

Breakfast at Tiffany isn't an easy one. It's a flawed jewel. I think it's a beautiful, plaintiff movie that captures an era, but Mickey Rooney's Mr. Yunioshi is an embarrassment. This ugly characature, I suppose, is also telling of the era (we would never see this stereotype now); but it truly mars the film. Miss Hepburn's Holly Golightly (a character, that I understand is partly based on the woman whom Walter Matthau married) is heartbreaking and beautiful. And I love the corroded voice of Patricia Neal's Mrs. Failenson (whose lines -- "I am a very stylish girl.", among them -- were sampled in DJ Dimitri of Paris' hit tracks a few years ago.).

Lawrence of Arabia

The Sound of Music

Scarface (either version and I like gangster movies)

Mrs. Miniver

Dr. Zhivago

Ben Hur

My Darling Clementine(even though I like John Ford and Henry Fonda)

Grand Hotel

The Best Years of Our Lives and the ultimate blasphemy (Is Ted looking?)

Gone With the Wind!!!

*in my best Jean Hagen*... I Can't Stand It!!!

I'm a pretty big scifi fan, and I like the first two LOTR movies. But I agree with you on the last one.

Worst piece of editing since Lawrence of Arabia. :P

By the time it WAS finally over, we had had so many false starts that I just sat there, waiting for more pointless melodrama, well into the credits.

And the most horrendous thing is that of the three movies, this one (which is the worst of the three) was the one that won the Oscar.

Brad, I really don't know why you take this so personally.

Alot of people (myself included) found DiCaprio's character in "Titanic" to be EXTREMELY annoying. Add this to the unnecessary length of this picture (thus leaving the impression, at least with me, that the writer doesn't think our time is valuable, as long as HE can go on and on with his pointless, self-indulgent, melodrama FOREVER), and you had a fair number of folks in the audience who were not only bored, but downright hostile about this film by the time it ended.

Long, self-indulgent films tend to make folks hostile. I get the same way about Lawrence of Arabia. BEAUTIFUL cinematography, but just exactly how much camel riding and how many desert raids did we need to SEE, 'fer cryin' out loud? By the time this film ended, I couldn't have possibly cared less what happened to Lawrence...OR to Arabia. And it was a good thing, too, because everything he did throughout the entire film came to a big, fat ZERO. There were only two things about this film I ended up liking - the scenery...and Omar Sharif (which also comes under the heading of scenery. :P )

So yeah...but the end, I was downright hostile about that movie. FOUR HOURS!!! For that????? Bleh.

So I can understand how Stoneyburke feels about DiCaprio's character in Titanic. I feel pretty much the same way. I was so annoyed at the utter self-indulgence of that movie that I didn't care that they killed off a main character in the midst of a particularly over-the-top melodramatic scene. By the time we got to that scene, I was sitting there grinding my teeth and whispering "good riddance" under my breath. I mean, enough already! We get it! The ship is sinking! For, like the last HOUR+ it has been sinking! So please - let's move this story ALONG, already! *lol*

I think that ship took less time to sink in *real life* than it did in that movie! *lol* And that sort of thing annoys alot of viewers.

I think the hostility about that film, and DiCaprio's character in particular, is really better directed at the writers, editors, and director, who wouldn't cut it down to a reasonable length but left all sorts of pointless crap in there (usually centered around DiCaprio's character - the chained-to-the-pipe sequence, for one example), just to keep us in the seats watching their 'work of art' or whatever until our blatters exploded :rolleyes: .

But I, for one, felt quite put-upon.

And besides, we ARE talking about fictional characters here. It's not like Stoneyburke wanted DiCaprio turned into a 'popcicle'. Just his character. A fictional being.

So who cares?

Sorry...but I'm just not gettin' that.

I don't take it personally, I just find the comment immature, which annoys me since I assume we're all adults here. It sounds like something a 5 year old would say. On top of that, it's a little hypocritical of her to talk about someone else's "civility" when she thinks it's all right for her to make a dig like that, I don't care if it's a fictional character or a celebrity. And by the way, she has stated she hates Dicaprio. On top of all that, I think the comment is insulting to all who went down with the Titanic. If you can't see all this, I don't know what to say.

And long films do not make EVERYBODY hostile. A lot of times I feel even 2 hours is not enough to tell a story adequately. I sure don't think Titanic's length was "unnecessary". To just skim over the sinking of the ship would be insulting. I'm sorry that your attention span seems to be so short, but most people like their movies to have more depth than a 30min-hour TV episode.

Ok, I think I'm done...............lol

Brad

Long, self-indulgent films tend to make folks hostile. I get the same way about Lawrence of Arabia. BEAUTIFUL cinematography, but just exactly how much camel riding and how many desert raids did we need to SEE, 'fer cryin' out loud? By the time this film ended, I couldn't have possibly cared less what happened to Lawrence...OR to Arabia. And it was a good thing, too, because everything he did throughout the entire film came to a big, fat ZERO. >>

For many years I had this same assessment of "Lawrence of Arabia" but then I saw it on TCM earlier this year and everything about the film that had eluded me (the homage to John Ford, etc) suddenly hit me like a fast moving train and I thought, how did I miss all this subtext all these years? But I did, and now I have a deeper appreciation of Lawrence.

As for any film over two hours being lengthy and boring, I have to disagree. Yes, there are films that go on too long but for every one of those, are films that, with a length more than 120 minutes really make every minute count.

As for "Titanic" and the "popsicle" comment, it seems meant for those that enjoyed the film (and there are many of us who did who are not teenagers swooning over Leo) and appreciated Cameron's attention to detail in terms of the history of the ship and its going down, to be an unnecessary dig.

Was it meant that way? I don't know but it is a provocative remark that sparks not only a response but a defensive responsive.

And a defensive responsive is not lively debate, it is response to something that a poster found offensive. And, from that, it devolves into rudeness all around as others join the melee.

Consideration of what we say when we post and how that post will be read by the majority should be a major consideration when we write.

Otherwise, we end up exactly where we are, wondering why we are so rude to another.

Dear brad:

immature: I confess to being immature

annoys you: this is a public board. If you don't like my remarks, pass over them.

we're all adults: have you been reading here lately? Don't assume anything, you know what that makes you.

something a 5 year old would say: how presumptuous. Who died and left you the arbiter of what someone at a message board would say?

hypocritical: this boggles the mind. It's a dig at a non-actor, not at a person. I talk of the civility of those here, real people who work for a living and don't make a gazillion dollars to pose as a popsicle in a moronic remake of a formerly wonderful movie, i.e., A Night To Remember. You aren't Mr. DiCaprio the hack himself, are you? Get a grip, brad.

an INSULT to all who went down with the Titanic: you need help, brad. Get it, quick.

IF WE ALL CAN'T SEE THIS? Get help, brad.

P.S. I'm ever so more happy now to see the non-actor DiCaprio as a popsicle now in the piece of crap remake of A Night To Remember.

There, feel better?

dolores

Ah, lzcutter, you too would presume to dictate what people say about hack actors in crappy remakes of wonderful movies. I wonder at people like you and brad, and feel sorry for you.

I'm entitled to my opinion, you are entitled to yours. This is America where I reside.

Have any doubts on free speech? Read the above and repeat to yourself.

An unnecessary dig? Who are you to say? I am glad he was a popsicle at the end of a piece of crap movie.

Provocative? Not at all. I hate DiCaprio as an actor, and am entitled to my opinion. Sorry, sweetheart, I didn't post that remark to provoke, spark a response or a defense. I was glad to see him as a popsicle and will enjoy seeing him as a popsicle EVER so much more now that I can see your and brad's words in my mind's eye. How extraordinarily silly the two of you are, trying to censor someone's opinions of a hack actor in a piece of crap movie.

Oh, my, so we're rude because your and brad's feelings about a hack actor in a crap movie were hurt. Tsk, tsk.

Get over yourself. If you don't like my OPINIONS (look up the word, sweetie) then don't read them.

dolores

How extraordinarily silly the two of

> you are, trying to censor someone's opinions of a

> hack actor in a piece of crap movie.

>

I'm sorry, who's trying to censor you? You have a right to your opinion as much as anyone else, I just think it's sad you can't express it without making moronic comments. The fact that you repeat it several times in this post is tantamount to going "nyah, nyah, nyah" and only reinforces your immaturity. I'm finished with you, life is too short to deal with your nonsense.

Interesting

It seems that as long as you suck up to TCM, (like bradtexasranger) you can do no wrong in lzcutter's eyes. This bradtexasranger keeps bringing up what I assume to be an old post of stoneyburke's about a contemporary movie. He has done it several times in the last few days and appears to be really obsessed with it. It appears to be an attempt to keep a fight going on in here. Now on the other hand you have lzcutter who tries to act like she is the voice of reason, but in reality, she is simply sticking to the old party line and predictably, sides with bradtexasranger--who I feel is completely wrong here in trying to create just the type of nasty atmosphere that lzcutter professes to abhore.

I will bear this in mind when reading any further postings of lzcutter and will be taking them with a great deal more salt.

> It seems that as long as you suck up to TCM, (like

> bradtexasranger) you can do no wrong in lzcutter's

> eyes.

Ok, please explain to me how I'm "sucking up" to TCM? What does Titanic have to with TCM when they don't show it and probably won't in the forseeable future? And what could I have to gain by "sucking up" to them anyway? Why are you hostile to TCM? Why don't you try the other network that shows uncut films from the 30s to the 60s...........oh, wait, there's not one! I swear some of you people are so ungrateful.

Exactly right, NortBanba. There are other more vocal posters who think TCM can do no wrong and are equally insulting to those of differing opinions. The key word on this and all message boards is 'opinion'- we would all do well to read Voltaire when it comes to them.

However, brad continues to harp on an old post of mine that contained a very virulent response to DiCaprio's non-acting in a very bad movie and for SOME reason (unless he is the said non-actor DiCaprio) he can't let it go. As I've decided, I feel sorry for him and lzcutter.

They both can't seem to recognize the issue of Free Speech in America and the ability of anonymous people to have 'opinions' on message boards.

There was in the verrrrry old People.com boards a poster who would defend beyond all reason the acting 'ability' of those in the show Friends. This irrational defense of DiCaprio is similar.

Ah well, and so it goes.

dolores