Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SalMarz

10 Films That Everyone Loves But You Don't

Recommended Posts

It has gotten to the point that if anyone makes a comment or gives an opinion that differs from "that group" it is called an insult or you are regarded as ignorant for thinking such a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's too bad Delores doesn't realize I'm not defending Dicaprio, I don't think he's the greatest actor either(though he was good in that role), I was pointing out the childishness of her "popsicle" remark, which SHE can't seem to let go of. It just galls me that she won't even consider that she might be out of line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Oh, this is brilliant! Let's see if we can get past 3 pages without a fight."

 

Well so much for that, oobleckboy. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All:

 

Although I have already submitted a list, I went back through to the first post and re-read the whole thread. The funny thing about it is that many people chose the same movies over and over. I noticed that 2001, Lawrence of Arabia, Long Day's Journey into NIght and a couple of others were repeated in separate posts. It's only natural that we disagree on what we like and don't like. I, for one, have to like the actors in order to enjoy most movies. If I don't like the actor, I find myself finding fault with everything he/she does and cause myself to lose perspective. I never watch anything with Nicole Kidman because I cannot stand her, however, I did watch Cold Mountain, and altho she was in it, there were enough others I like to make it worth my while. On the other hand, I love Katherine Hepburn, and would normally say I love everything she does, but in the case of Long Days Journey etc. SHE was the only thing I liked about the movie even tho I hated her character. Following is a list of people I cannot stand and rarely watch their movies, but in deference to public acclaim, I have watched to see if I made a mistake.

 

Woody Allen movies - Radio Days, is the only one I liked.

Brando - Should take the marbles out of his mouth, sounds like Liza Doolittle

Russell Crowe - Disliked him from the first time I noticed him in LA Confidential

Jim Carrey - Don't like his brand of comedy, I do like him in drama (Majestic)

 

The worst of all, maybe two worst, are Chaplin, his little tramp is not pathetic to me but slimy and tricky - also the Marx Brothers. I have watched many, of their movies, Day at the Opera, Day at the Races, etc. and I just think they're four men who are imbeciles.

 

I realize all of you people are fans of these listed, but as someone said, you can't pleae all the people . . .

 

Finally, name calling of an actor, director, or movie is simply an opinion. It doesn't hurt any of us, however, name calling, inference of ignorance due to an opinion, or anger directed at a poster rather than his/her opinion is what is not adult. I can call Russell Crowe slimy because to me he is, but none of you is hurt. But if I call oobleckboy an idiot because he doesn't like musicals, that is not acceptable behavior. In that case I am wrong. To me, that is the difference, debate the post, not the poster.

 

Oobleckboy, you know I just pulled your name out of a hat, I hope. :x

 

Anne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice.

 

I don't know you, and try to make a civilized discussion out of this little flame fest you guys seem to have goin' on around here. A war, incidentally, I have no interest in getting involved in.

 

All I want to do is have a pleasant discussion, and I was TRYING to explain why some folks don't like Titanic and have such strong feelings about it. THAT'S ALL!

 

We don't have to agree, but I THOUGHT you'd be civil to me since I have not been a participant in you guys' ongoing tiff.

 

And what do I get for my efforts?

 

Insults.

 

So here's a tip: Before you rag about anyone else being 'immature', I'd take a long, hard look in the mirror.

 

Because I said nothing to deserve your implication that I'm an idiot (paragraph one of your post) who can't sit through a 30 minute TV show (paragraph two of your post).

 

Now, if you wanna fight with me, we can sure go a few rounds. I'm not afraid of you, and won't be bullied.

 

Or alternatively, you can treat me with respect in future.

 

It's up to you.

 

P.S. - Being nasty to me - a person who was previously not involved your argument - only proves my point, that you ARE taking folks dislike of Titanic WAY too personally.

 

It's only a MOVIE, 'fer cryin' out loud. And Leonardo DiCaprio's character is only a FICTIONAL BEING.

 

No actual lives were lost in the making of Titanic. So is this drama really worth it?

 

Message was edited by:

pktrekgirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

>

> Because I said nothing to deserve your implication

> that I'm an idiot (paragraph one of your post) who

> can't sit through a 30 minute TV show (paragraph two

> of your post).

>

> Now, if you wanna fight with me, we can sure go a few

> rounds. I'm not afraid of you, and won't be

> bullied.

>

> Or alternatively, you can treat me with respect in

> future.

>

> It's up to you.

>

> P.S. - Being nasty to me - a person who was

> previously not involved your argument - only proves

> my point, that you ARE taking folks dislike of

> Titanic WAY too personally.

>

Ok, I was not even addressing YOU in paragraph 1 of that post, I was addressing Stoneyburke. And that's the absolute last thing I have to say on this topic, it's tiresome to me already.

 

To me, it's forgotten. I have no beef with either of you.

 

Message was edited by:

bradtexasranger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mrs! I agree with what you been saying just because you might not like a certain actor/actress director that is your right and if think that their role or the movie or themselves that you don't like your just saying what you think. and You should not be critized for it! I see you do not like the Marx Brothers I myself I like them but I have a respect for your opinion !

 

sincerely

Christine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, lzcutter, please allow me to clarify.

 

I do not thing ALL films over two hours are too long and boring. Nor do I think all films over 2 hours are self-indulgent.

 

But some are.

 

In my opinion, and my opinion alone, I think a good 45 minutes could have been shaved from both Lawrence of Arabia and Titanic, without losing any of the story.

 

I'm not saying cut the essential story elements. But yeah...I think there could have been a few less desert raids and camel rides in LoA. And we didn't need to see the Leo-chained-to-the-pipe drama either, because it added nothing to the character himself - only to the length of the film. They sure didn't need it for excitement. I mean, the boat was SINKING in the North Atlantic and there were not enough lifeboats. How much excitement do you need?

 

As for the 'popsicle' remark, I guess I don't get worked up over stuff like that myself when someone says something similar about a film or character I like...so I don't understand the sensitivity about a fictional character. It would be another matter if it was a real person, but it's not.

 

And yes, I DO get stuff like this said about one of MY favorite films that alot of folks don't like: "The English Patient". I am one of those folks who just LOVES "The English Patient". And lemme tell you how many times I've listened to the 'Elaine speech' from "Seinfeld" over the years - ALOT. But it doesn't bother me. Someone saying that in no way impacts my enjoyment of the film, so what do I care what they think or say?

 

Especially if they say it on an internet message board and are thus pretty much a total stranger to me, who in no way impacts my real life.

 

Who cares if they think that movie is boring? I think it's great, and I cry every time I watch it...whether some username on a message board likes it or not.

 

Much more annoying to me are individuals who post their OPINIONS as if they were objective fact. But I honestly think she meant it as a humorous remark about a fictional character - not as a personal slam against folks who like that film.

 

But what do I know? I don't know much of the history here. Every time I show up there are new faces yelling at each other. *lol*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Every time I show up there are new faces yelling at each other. *lol**

 

Oh no, not again! Can't we just all hold hands and sing Kumbaya? Please?

 

Not that anyone cares, but really, I thought the Popsicle remark was funny. Perhaps it just depends on your sense of humor. I have a pretty dark sense of humor (I watch "Death Wish 3" for laughs or when I'm depressed), and personally, I thought the Popsicle remark was pretty tame. But I guess if you really loved the movie, I can see how you'd get offended. I don't think we need a World War 95 over this remark, but then again, maybe I should just stay out of this.

 

When I was younger, I used to think that all films over two hours were long and boring. I never watched "Gone With the Wind" because it was too long. I finally watched it this past May and I absolutely loved it. It's probably in my top 50 films. I've watched it about two or three times since it was on. I also love "Long Day's Journey Into Night" a few times and loved it. I adore the cast and the ending scene is just...beautiful and so sad. But that's me. I also love Citizen Kane, but my love for that movie really is because of Joseph Cotten. I'll watch him in anything. If there was a movie of him drinking coffee and reading the phone book, I'd probably have that in my Top 50 as well.

 

I do think Laurence of Arabia is overly long and the plot doesn't really get me. A lot of my love for movies has to do with the cast involved and Peter O'Toole and Anthony Quinn have never done anything for me, which is why I'm so "eh" on it. I love Arthur Kennedy, and I fully admit to having a crush on him, so I'll always watch the second half. And I do have great respect for David Lean's directing ability, so I'll try to watch anything that he directs. I think the movie is beautiful in an artistic standpoint though. It's just a really gorgeous film. Of course, I love Doctor Zhivago as well. It's not one of my favoritefavorites, but I'll watch it. I'd rather watch a 4 hour love story than a 4 hour adventure movie, I guess. It just depends on the cast and the plot.

 

JackBurley, Holly Golightly is really based on a real person? And which of Walter Matthau's wives--first or second? I never knew that! When I read the book, I was a little surprised how coarse the Holly of the book was compared to Audrey's Holly. That's why I always like to read the book after I've seen the movie, it's fun to see the differences.

 

Also, Patricial Neal is just the sexiest thing in that and in a lot of her 60's movies--and I say this as a straight woman. There was something about her, with that cigarette voice and her look, that just made her pop on the screen. She was beautiful in her own way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Holly Golightly is really based on a real person? And which of Walter Matthau's wives--first or second? I never knew that! When I read the book, I was a little surprised how coarse the Holly of the book was compared to Audrey's Holly. That's why I always like to read the book after I've seen the movie, it's fun to see the differences."

 

Remember Miss Puss, Truman Capote made a career of writing about real people. That's what got him blacklisted from New York society in his later years. No one could trust him; they feared their lives would end up in print.

 

Holly Golightly was based on Carol Grace. She was first married to writer William Saroyan (The Human Comedy). He left her when he discovered she was "illegitmate" and jewish; but they remarried a year or two later (apparently when he came to his senses). She was in the Broadway production of Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? and that's where she met Walter Matthau. They were married in 1959.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any Audrey Hepburn movie

Any Woody Allen movie

Any Quentin Tarantino movie

The Birth of A Nation

Brokeback Mountain

Nosferatu

Cabaret

All That Jazz

The Grapes of Wrath

Titanic (loved the "popsicle" remark! A reel hoot!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we'd be hard pressed to find anyone who loves Birth of a Nation. Respect for its place in the history of cinema, perhaps... But "love"? I don't think so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> I think we'd be hard pressed to find anyone who loves

> Birth of a Nation. Respect for its place in

> the history of cinema, perhaps... But "love"? I

> don't think so...

 

 

Perhaps not... but it is still a bad movie, IMO. I was using the "important/respected" interpretation of "love" in my list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, those are almost exactly opposite of my tastes. I've never seen Titanic, Brokeback Mountain or All that Jazz.

 

I love Tarantino, Cabaret and Nosferatu. Don't much care for Woody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LovesClassics,

 

Quote:

"Also, any and all of the Lord of the Rings films. I could stand the books in the 60's and films dragged on and on and on. The last one had five endings!"

 

You are one "up" on me...I counted four endings. I probably missed number five during one of my drooping eye moments...

 

I just read this thread from first post to today and reading "popsicle" and "Lord Of The Rings" reminds me...

 

After watching "Lord Of The Rings Part III" and "King Kong", I would like to see that boring, buffoon of bloat, Peter Jackson, frozen. Not a popsicle, but frozen like milk freezing in the bottle, pushing up the paper cap and forming a little cylinder of frozen white stuff. Or, like the "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" episode. Jackson plummets into the top of the glacier and remains trapped for forty years...returning to the world long after I am dead.

 

Oh, I don't like Peter Jackson. I would like Mr. Jackson to be that guy under the floor boards in "Hellraiser"...except, no one bleeds on my floor.

 

Scarlett's "ANYTHING by Tennessee Williams". Oh yeah, I do agree. I hate any movie made from Tennessee Williams material...mama-sister-woman-niece. On the other hand, I sort of like Tennesse Williams...the person. Specifically, the "Tennessee Williams' drunken grab at Barbara Walters...'Today Show' 1970-something". That tv moment was classic.

 

Note, I like most of the movies James Cameron has directed (including "Titanic"). So, it is not only Jackson's obvious egomania that I dislike.

 

Rusty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> I do think Laurence of Arabia is overly long and the

> plot doesn't really get me. A lot of my love for

> movies has to do with the cast involved and Peter

> O'Toole and Anthony Quinn have never done anything

> for me, which is why I'm so "eh" on it. I love Arthur

> Kennedy, and I fully admit to having a crush on him,

> so I'll always watch the second half. And I do have

> great respect for David Lean's directing ability, so

> I'll try to watch anything that he directs. I think

> the movie is beautiful in an artistic standpoint

> though. It's just a really gorgeous film. Of course,

> I love Doctor Zhivago as well. It's not one of my

> favoritefavorites, but I'll watch it. I'd rather

> watch a 4 hour love story than a 4 hour adventure

> movie, I guess. It just depends on the cast and the

> plot.

 

 

I pretty much agree with this entire paragraph.

 

Perhaps part of the reason I get bored quickly with LoA is because I get bored quickly with Peter O'Toole. I would pick Doctor Zhivago ANY day over LoA - I much prefer the casting in that film - especially Omar Sharif (who is pretty much the only actor I like in LoA, really). Plus, it is a long film, but there is not alot of redundant stuff in it. I'm trying to think of a section you could cut out without losing part of the story, and I can't really think of one. Whereas in LoA I can think of a few places that could have been cut without losing a thing.

 

I'm not bored in GWTW either - again, I like the casting and, while I can think of several scenes that could have been left out or shortened, it is not THAT bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In no particular order:

 

Gone With the Wind

The Deer Hunter

Das Boot

Bridge on the River Kwai

Pillow Talk

Any John Wayne film

Lawrence of Arabia

The Sound of Music

West Side Story

2001: A Space Odyssey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JackBurley, thanks for the info! I'm not very familiar with Truman Capote's background at all, so that's where my ignorance comes from. I swear, I learn something new every day on these boards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...