Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One of a Kind

CaveGirl

Now I'm sure your brother-in-law or neighbor may be one of a kind and you are welcome to submit their names in this thread, but what I am really looking for are movies of that ilk.

Let's face it, most movie themes have either been copied, stolen or remade over and over again. How many times have we seen the Cinderella story in a modern setting, or a crime drama where the crooks turn on each other after the master plan goes awry.

My favorite film that I truly think is one of a kind, is Rene Clement's masterful "Jeux Interdits" [aka "Forbidden Games"] from 1952, starring child actress Brigitte Fossey.

In this film the story about what motivates the children and the somewhat morbid games they play is heartbreaking and unprecedented, and reflects on the rituals that children might innocently assimilate during war.

I can recommend it to all, except those who need a superhero in the film to keep their interest up.

I could only wish that TCM might put it on their playlist so more people would be able to see it in the future.

Do you have a film that is "one of a kind" that you would kindly share with your fellow film addicts?

FORBIDDEN GAMES is one of my favorite films. Brigitte Fossey probably gives the best performance by a child in the history of movies.

Perhaps it's the child actors: another unique film, never shown on TCM, is WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND, where some children believe that the escaped convict hiding in their barn is Jesus.

There's also INNOCENT SINNERS, where a little girl, more or less abandoned by her mother, tries to plant some flowers in a patch of ground that has been devastated by the Blitz.

• Like 2

FORBIDDEN GAMES is one of my favorite films. Brigitte Fossey probably gives the best performance by a child in the history of movies.

Perhaps it's the child actors: another unique film, never shown on TCM, is WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND, where some children believe that the escaped convict hiding in their barn is Jesus.

There's also INNOCENT SINNERS, where a little girl, more or less abandoned by her mother, tries to plant some flowers in a patch of ground that has been devastated by the Blitz.

WDTW is that Hayley Mills film, right? I think her mother might have written the book maybe? Was Alan Bates in it? I've seen it once many years ago.

I don't know your second choice, King but I'm going to check it out now on IMDB.

Thanks for the response!

"Koyaanisqatsi" (1982)--Means "life out of balance" in the Hopi language; contrasts city life with the Southwest.  Dissonant score by Philip Glass and others. All sorts of photographic techniques in this film.  Near impossible for me to describe; Must be seen to be appreciated.

"Invitation to the Dance" (1957)--Hate it, love it, indifferent to it--it is the only Film I'm aware of that tells three stories in Dance.

"Zardoz" (1974)--Beautiful (was filmed in Ireland), nutso sci-fi- film.  With Sean Connery and Charlotte Rampling.

• Like 2

While not from the Golden Age, this movie is great and one-of-a-kind: Deathtrap (1982), with Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve. Reeve is a student of a playwright (Caine), and Caine admires Reeve's work so much that he plans to murder him to steal his script.  Lots of twists and turns, and good humor.

• Like 2

Well, the Monty Clift film THE SEARCH is the only one of it's kind I ever saw, so if there's another covering the same subject matter, let me know.

But I'll bet there's NO kid in it that has the same heart grabbing, soul arresting EYES the kid( now probably a grandfather!) in THE SEARCH had!

Sepiatone

• Like 2

While not from the Golden Age, this movie is great and one-of-a-kind: Deathtrap (1982), with Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve. Reeve is a student of a playwright (Caine), and Caine admires Reeve's work so much that he plans to murder him to steal his script.  Lots of twists and turns, and good humor.

Doesn't have to be from the Golden Age or any other restrictions, Eugenia!

A one of a kind movie is great, even if it was made last year. Thanks for your choice, and I've seen it and it is a fun and innovative plot.

• Like 1

Well, the Monty Clift film THE SEARCH is the only one of it's kind I ever saw, so if there's another covering the same subject matter, let me know.

But I'll bet there's NO kid in it that has the same heart grabbing, soul arresting EYES the kid( now probably a grandfather!) in THE SEARCH had!

Sepiatone

That kid in "The Search" is a similarly talented little actor to Brigitte Fossey. Both films are superlative; thanks, Sepia!

The Adventures of Sebatstian Cole is a recent independent movie that fits that criteria.  I bought the DVD because I am a fan of Rory Cochrane and he was listed. He is only in the movie for 3 minutes, but what a 3 minutes he was in.

• Like 1

I love very much movies which are on unexplored edges of genre and so have no counterparts.

Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970) is logical and realistic science fiction which has truly rare ending.

A Boy and His Dog (1975) has typical characters in typical setting but plot and twists are far from typical. I believe that can be expected as it is based on story by: H. Ellison whose stories often seem to be formulated of equal parts of: S. Dali, M. C. Escher and R. Dahl.  

I believe that I can state with no fear of argument that: Tetsuo, the Iron Man (1989), Drowning by Numbers (1988) and The Seventh Seal (1957) are quite unique.

I feel that much of the motivation for directors of: Czech surrealism in: 1960s was desire to rid cinema of all conventions and so be unique voice. Movies such as: When the Cat Comes (1963), A Report on the Party and the Guests (1966) and Daisies (1966) have no exact parallels in movie history.

I find that most movies by: director H. Miyazaki are unique in that he combines ancient concepts with innocence of childhood. I know of no counterparts of: My Neighbor Totoro (1988), Castle in the Sky (1986) or: The Castle of Cagliostro (1979).

I find the works by: director S. V. Loznitsa to be unique in that the topics are relatively common but the perspective of them is quite new. In the Fog (2012) is excellent example of this.

Repentance (2013), Formula of Love (1984) and Russian Ark (2002) are truly: one-of-a-kind movies which most here will never watch.

I would be remiss if I did not state that it is clear that: Capuchin is quite definitely: one-of-a-kind in that he admits that when they made him then they broke the mold and there are evil rumors of what they did to the mold-makers to ensure there would never be another like him.

• Like 3

The Seventh Seal is my favourite foreign language movie of all time.

I am sorry to say that it is: foreign language movie for me also. I had once opportunity to learn: Swedish but I demurred because body of films in that language did not seem to me to be sufficient for work involved in learning the language rather than reading subtitles. I am sorry now that I did not explore that opportunity.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings