Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Tribute to Dick Miller

CaveGirl

I enjoyed watching TCM's broadcast of Corman's "Bucket of Blood" for the opportunity to see the great Dick Miller.

We are lucky this stalwart of Corman films is still alive. He graced many films like "BOB" and "Little Shop of Horrors" and later in his career, he played the Walter Paisley role again in "The Howling" and "Twilight Zone: The Movie" as an homage, well to himself!

He was born as a Christmas gift in 1928, to all fans of B-films particularly the more offbeat ones. With 177 credits to his name on IMDB, he has had a full career and is still kicking! He always makes me laugh in any role he essays and I'd love to meet him and thank him. I wish he would be a guest host on TCM!

What's your favorite Dick Miller role?

"IMDB  Mini Bio 

A native of the Bronx, New York, Richard "Dick" Miller served in the U.S. Navy for a few years and earned a prize title as a middleweight boxer. He settled in Los Angeles in the mid-1950s, where he was noticed by producer/director Roger Corman, who cast him in most of his low-budget films, usually playing unlikeable sorts, such as a vacuum-cleaner salesman in Not of This Earth (1957). His most memorable role would have to be that of the mentally unstable, busboy/beatnik artist Walter Paisley, whose clay sculptures are suspiciously lifelike in A Bucket of Blood (1959) (a rare starring role for him), and he is also fondly remembered for his supporting role as the flower-eating Vurson Fouch in Corman's legendary The Little Shop of Horrors (1960). Miller spent the next 20 years working in Corman productions, and starting in the late 1970s was often cast in films by director Joe Dante, appearing in credited and uncredited walk-on bits as quirky chatterboxes, and stole every scene he appeared in. He has played many variations on his famous Walter Paisley role, such as a diner owner (Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983)) or a janitor (Chopping Mall (1986)). One of his best bits is the funny occult-bookshop owner in The Howling (1981). Being short (so he never played a romantic lead or a threatening villain) with wavy hair, long sideburns, a pointed nose and a face as trustworthy as a used-car dealer's, he was, and is to this day, an immediately recognizable character actor whose one-scene appearances in countless movies and TV shows guarantee audience applause."

I can't say I have a favorite Dick Miller role, it's just a love of the aggregate of all of his roles. He usually only shows up for a bit, but he's a fun familiar face. From A Bucket of Blood, It Conquered the World, Not of This Earth, Little Shop of Horrors, to later appearances in The Howling, The Terminator, Gremlins, Night of the Creeps and Angel III: The Final Chapter, Miller's appearance never fails to bring a smile.

dick-miller.jpg

• Like 1

I can't say I have a favorite Dick Miller role, it's just a love of the aggregate of all of his roles. He usually only shows up for a bit, but he's a fun familiar face. From A Bucket of Blood, It Conquered the World, Not of This Earth, Little Shop of Horrors, to later appearances in The Howling, The Terminator, Gremlins, Night of the Creeps and Angel III: The Final Chapter, Miller's appearance never fails to bring a smile.

dick-miller.jpg

Thanks so much Lawrence for the visuals.

Yes, Dick is a joy to behold in any film for sure!

I enjoyed watching TCM's broadcast of Corman's "Bucket of Blood" for the opportunity to see the great Dick Miller.

We are lucky this stalwart of Corman films is still alive. He graced many films like "BOB" and "Little Shop of Horrors" and later in his career, he played the Walter Paisley role again in "The Howling" and "Twilight Zone: The Movie" as an homage, well to himself!

He was born as a Christmas gift in 1928, to all fans of B-films particularly the more offbeat ones. With 177 credits to his name on IMDB, he has had a full career and is still kicking! He always makes me laugh in any role he essays and I'd love to meet him and thank him. I wish he would be a guest host on TCM!

What's your favorite Dick Miller role?

"IMDB  Mini Bio 

A native of the Bronx, New York, Richard "Dick" Miller served in the U.S. Navy for a few years and earned a prize title as a middleweight boxer. He settled in Los Angeles in the mid-1950s, where he was noticed by producer/director Roger Corman, who cast him in most of his low-budget films, usually playing unlikeable sorts, such as a vacuum-cleaner salesman in Not of This Earth (1957). His most memorable role would have to be that of the mentally unstable, busboy/beatnik artist Walter Paisley, whose clay sculptures are suspiciously lifelike in A Bucket of Blood (1959) (a rare starring role for him), and he is also fondly remembered for his supporting role as the flower-eating Vurson Fouch in Corman's legendary The Little Shop of Horrors (1960). Miller spent the next 20 years working in Corman productions, and starting in the late 1970s was often cast in films by director Joe Dante, appearing in credited and uncredited walk-on bits as quirky chatterboxes, and stole every scene he appeared in. He has played many variations on his famous Walter Paisley role, such as a diner owner (Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983)) or a janitor (Chopping Mall (1986)). One of his best bits is the funny occult-bookshop owner in The Howling (1981). Being short (so he never played a romantic lead or a threatening villain) with wavy hair, long sideburns, a pointed nose and a face as trustworthy as a used-car dealer's, he was, and is to this day, an immediately recognizable character actor whose one-scene appearances in countless movies and TV shows guarantee audience applause."

Well, that's darn nice of you to make this post, CaveGirl. I remember Dick from The Terror. I raced home from work Thursday night and was only ten minutes shy of The Bucket of Blood.  Later on Ben Mankewicz was interviewing Roger Corman. I was kinda sore that I wasn't aware of this feature. You people didn't let me know!!!

• Like 2

Well, that's darn nice of you to make this post, CaveGirl. I remember Dick from The Terror. I raced home from work Thursday night and was only ten minutes shy of The Bucket of Blood.  Later on Ben Mankewicz was interviewing Roger Corman. I was kinda sore that I wasn't aware of this feature. You people didn't let me know!!!

So sorry, Janet from now on I will keep you apprised of all such special TCM showings!

Stefan in "The Terror" (1963).

Mr. Lucky in "Corvette Summer" (1978)--a small but memorable role in a film that didn't find its audience when released.  Funny comedy with Annie Potts and Mark Hamill gradually falling in love after his car is stolen--if TCM ever shows it, very worth the watch.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings