Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actor William Schallert (1922-2016)

William Schallert, who played Patty Duke's understanding father in her ABC TV sitcom of the 1960s, has died at the age of 93. He also appeared in numerous other television and feature film productions during his long career.

Schallert also played Duke's uncle. The series, which ran from 1963 to 1966, featured the Academy Award-winning actress in the dual role of "identical cousins."

His death occurred almost six weeks after the passing of Duke on March 29, 2016. She died of sepsis as the result of a ruptured intestine at the age of 69.

Both actors served as president of the Screen Actors Guild -- Schallert from 1979 to 1981 and Duke from 1985 to 1988.

Image result for william schallert patty duke

Schallert and Duke

Schallert was a reliable actor in a pinch. When Ross Martin -- who played Artemus Gordon on TV's "The Wild, Wild West" -- suffered a heart attack during the 1968-69 season, Schallert served as a substitute in the role of U.S. Secret Service agent Frank Harper. Two other veteran actors -- Charles Aidman and Alan Hale, Jr. -- also filled in for Martin that season.

Among Schallert's noteworthy dramatic roles was his portrayal of Confederate General Robert E. Lee in the 1986 ABC miniseries "North and South: Book II." 

He also co-starred as Harry Hopkins -- FDR's trusted adviser -- in ABC's Emmy Award-winning miniseries "Herman Wouk's 'War and Remembrance'," which aired during the 1988-1989 season.

Schallert's final appearance was as an elevator operator in a 2014 episode of the CBS sitcom "2 Broke Girls."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/william-schallert-dead-patty-duke-732312

• Like 8

William Schallert, who played Patty Duke's understanding father in her ABC TV sitcom in the 1960s, has died at the age of 93. He also appeared in numerous other television and feature film productions during his long career.

1.%20Jean%20Byron,%20Patty%20Duke,%20and

Patty Duke's TV parents were played by Jean Byron and Schallert from 1963 to 1966

Ah, that's too bad.

I saw a promo with him recently on Me-Tv and it was great to see him again. He always seemed like such a decent guy on film.

• Like 1

I loved William Schallert in "The Patty Duke Show", which is now available on DVD.

He was always cropping up where you least expected him - for example, as a reporter in "Written

On The Wind".

His TV and movie credits must comprise an enormous list.

RIP, Mr. Schallert, you will be missed.

• Like 3

It seems like William Schallert has been around almost forever. I grew up watching him on countless TV shows and movies. I remember seeing him on TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE and glad to see he was still around then even though that movie came out several years ago. Good actor; I hope he went peacefully.

• Like 5

I looked up his entry on Imdb and he had 374 credits. He was just always on tv mostly although he did movies as well. He will always be Mr. Pomfrit from Dobie Gilles to me, because I'm older than dirt. He seemed to be a very lovely man.

• Like 5

I've been watching North and South, Book II over the last couple of days, and was surprised to see William Schallert playing General Robert E. Lee. I would say that it was a weird coincidence that he passed when I had just seen him in something, but he made so many appearances that it wasn't that unlikely.

R.I.P. Mr. Schallert

27f0e391f2fa7fcd4bbe08d3e396e536.jpg

• Like 3

Below, Grant Williams and William Schallert  (with Randy Stuart) in "The Incredible Shrinking Man" , which is so typical of Mr. Schallert's film career:

the-incredible-shrinking-man-randy-stuar

Yes, I forgot he was in that...........

• Like 1

As a fan of the original Star Trek series, I will always remember him as being the man intent on guarding the grain and wanting to punish William Shatner/Captain Kirk in "The Trouble With Tribbles."

• Like 2

Yes, I forgot he was in that...........

It's easy to forget when you consider the plethora of roles Schallert played during his career. I had forgotten about his performance as the bigoted mayor of Sparta, Mississippi in Norman Jewison's "In the Heat of the Night." 

By the way, here's a link to an informative 2009 interview, in which Schallert talked about his career.

http://popcultureaddict.com/interviews/williamschallerti/

• Like 1

Undersecretary Nils Baris in "The Trouble With Tribbles":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708480/

"They're after my grain"

'Captain Kirk, I consider your security measures a disgrace!  In my opinion, you have taken this entire, very important project far too lightly."

Kirk: "On the contrary sir. I think of this project as very important.  It is YOU I take lightly."

• Like 2

schallert finally kicked off? talk about a long career. the guy's been on screen since before moses.

decades and decades of movies and TV. a real trooper.

whatta legacy. from getting strangulated by a robot in 'gog' to a cameo as a weatherman in 'the monolith monsters' to TV dad martin lane and practically everything else in-between. the guy did it all and for so long. an impressive long-lasting legacy.

william schallert was a true icon.

• Like 4

I just saw Mr Schallert the other day in THE MAN FROM PLANET X (no he wasn't the title character). From 1951, one of Schallert's earliest films , and one of the few times I ever saw him play anything like a villain. He is in so many films and tv shows, such an ordinary looking guy , and yet he is so easily recognized. RIP William Schallert, and condolences to his family and friends.

• Like 3

Played Nancy Drew's father on the TV show.

Ah! The one with a pre-"Dynasty" Pamela Sue Martin as Nancy. I never saw it, but I know it alternated in a '70s Sunday time slot with a version of "The Hardy Boys" that starred Shaun Cassidy and Parker Stevenson.

d43006921074b9abe053aa9f9d096cb1.jpg

• Like 3

Ah, that's too bad.

I saw a promo with him recently on Me-Tv and it was great to see him again. He always seemed like such a decent guy on film.

William can now join Patty and Jean in heaven. Patty had such a difficult home life with her managers John and Ethel Ross. I am sure that she was happier with her TV parents. In the past few weeks I reread Patty`s autobiography CALL ME ANNA 1987. Patty will always be missed by myself.

• Like 1

I looked up his entry on Imdb and he had 374 credits. He was just always on tv mostly although he did movies as well. He will always be Mr. Pomfrit from Dobie Gilles to me, because I'm older than dirt. He seemed to be a very lovely man.

Dobie Gillis' Mr. Pomfritt is dead at 93

HelenBaby-- if you're older than dirt, then I'm older than mud!

When I heard William Schallert had died, I was looking for a thread that said Mr. Pomfritt of Dobie Fame has passed on. Well I guess this is it.

William Schallert characterized his role as a high school teacher with true dignity, devotion and tolerance in the teaching profession and that's how I will always remember him.

But you have to be tolerant when you have Maynard G Krebs in your classroom!

And if creating all those acting roles wasn't enough, he was the Screen Actors Guild president who created the committee to serve disabled actors and actresses.

Helen, just think like this-- do you have any idea how old the Hickman brothers and Tuesday Weld must be? Compared to them, we're just babies!

• Like 2

Dobie Gillis' Mr. Pomfritt is dead at 93

Helen, just think like this-- do you have any idea how old the Hickman brothers and Tuesday Weld must be? Compared to them, we're just babies!

It's weird that you said that because I looked up Tuesday Weld when those movie were on a couple of weeks ago. She as born in 1943 so she's 73. Darryl Hickman is 84 and Dwayne is 81. OMG that must mean Warren Beatty is that old too. Darryl was at the TCM Film Festival and was interviewed by Leonard Maltin about Tea & Sympathy (I saw a brief interview with Maltin on you tube.)

• Like 2

Ah! The one with a pre-"Dynasty" Pamela Sue Martin as Nancy. I never saw it, but I know it alternated in a '70s Sunday time slot with a version of "The Hardy Boys" that starred Shaun Cassidy and Parker Stevenson.

d43006921074b9abe053aa9f9d096cb1.jpg

One of the braodcast channels was showing it a few years ago.  Began as Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries on alternating shows.  The Nancy Drew shows were always much better.  Parker Stevenson was OK, but Shaun Cassidy became a teen-throb or something.  He couldn't act or sing, but the producers gradually pushed Nancy out of the series so they could focus on Cassidy. Pamela Sue Martin eventually left.

Always believe that a stand alone series with Martin, Schallert, et.al. might have succeeded, but who knows.  TV audiences are fickle.

• Like 2

Since THE PATTY DUKE SHOW ended, which I did like, and often wished I too, had a dad like Mr. Schallert, I've seen that guy ALL over the place on TV and certain movies.

I always(and still do) got a warm feeling inside when spotting him in something, and decided( and with some bias towards the both of them) that Schallert was probably one of the busiest character actors, almost neck and neck with CHARLES LANE.

I also remember an episode of THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY(yeah, I'll 'fess up---used to look in on it) in which he played some old folk singer--ala PETE SEEGER,  and somebody told me HE also did his own guitar playing in that episode.

Maybe he learned just to play what was needed for the episode, or already knew how to play, but no matter---

Either way, it displays a good level of talent.

RIP, Dad! :)

Sepiatone

• Like 4

My favorite "Good Guy" role was Mr. Pomfritt in Dobie Gillis.

For villains it the snarky Union soldier at the end of Band of Angels who's as bigoted than any Southerner but hides it under a veneer of equality.

In short, he did it all and did it well.  I know you shouldn't feel sad over 93 great years but--DAMN!

• Like 2