Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Two Guys From Milwaukee.. looks very dark on the screen

Kid Dabb

I can understand the outdoor night scenes being dark, but many of the indoor lit scenes are nearly as dark. As much as Frenchman's Creek was washed out, this one has darkened. Lots of detail missing.

Is it possible this film looked much better when it was screened in theaters back in 1946..

I've not seen it yet because I had just watched Dear Brigitte and I wanted to watch it later for Bogart and Bacall.  I've been recording it.  If it is too dark then I will end up deleting it before seeing it.

I watched Frenchman's Creek because I am a fan of the book and the actors and I had never seen it before.  The source material was worth it to see once.

But I understand from Bogie56's recommendation that this Bogart/Bacall movie is weak and only for people who want to see every movie Bogart ever made.  I am one of those people.  But I have a large amount of my PVR already taken up with great films I have not seen like The Seven Samerai waiting for when I have the time to watch it all in one sitting.

• Like 2

They could fix 2 birds with one edit:Two Frenchmen's Milwaukee Creek - dashing European pirate prince & a Lordly cabbie with dodgy brakes & vivid wig fight for the hand of a lady with hopeless romantic ideals - with psychedelic cinematography that blends retina burning brightness with the same kind of dark noir that only the cheapest bootleg gin can bring on - all in glorious black & white & color...

Yeah, it was a bit on the dark side, but still easier on the eye than the FC print was.

As an aside, was there a promo shown on TCM for Two Guys From Milwaukee that featured a color sequence with a cabbie leaning out his drivers window, saying something like "Yup, 2 Guys from Milwaukee", or was that some fantasy my imagination created? That promo/possible false memory had me expecting a color movie...

• Like 2

I watched this very stupid movie and did not find it too dark. I also saw the trailer for this film and do not remember seeing a color sequence. I have no idea why a color sequence would be inserted in the trailer for this film. I am sure the DVD Universal released for FRENCHMAN'S CREEK is not washed out like the one TCM has been running.

I watched this very stupid movie and did not find it too dark. I also saw the trailer for this film and do not remember seeing a color sequence. I have no idea why a color sequence would be inserted in the trailer for this film. I am sure the DVD Universal released for FRENCHMAN'S CREEK is not washed out like the one TCM has been running.

I understand the Universal Vault Series DVD of Frenchman's Creek is not washed out.

They could fix 2 birds with one edit:Two Frenchmen's Milwaukee Creek - dashing European pirate prince & a Lordly cabbie with dodgy brakes & vivid wig fight for the hand of a lady with hopeless romantic ideals - with psychedelic cinematography that blends retina burning brightness with the same kind of dark noir that only the cheapest bootleg gin can bring on - all in glorious black & white & color...

Yeah, it was a bit on the dark side, but still easier on the eye than the FC print was.

As an aside, was there a promo shown on TCM for Two Guys From Milwaukee that featured a color sequence with a cabbie leaning out his drivers window, saying something like "Yup, 2 Guys from Milwaukee", or was that some fantasy my imagination created? That promo/possible false memory had me expecting a color movie...

Two Frenchmen's Milwaukee Creek ...   That sounds like one uh them there arteesenal crafty beers.

• Like 2

This thread makes think of that Hanson song "Man From Milwaukee." 

I've been sitting here too long by a man from Milwaukee
He's been talking to long on his yellow walkie-talkie
He's been talking to Mars but I think he's wacky
He says they'll come get him, come get him some day

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings