Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Collectibles

CaveGirl

A lot of movie fans that I know, are also collectors of movie memorabilia. I'm curious what if anything posters here might collect.

I've always bought stills and have a few movie posters that are original, but my main area of interest is collecting Joseff of Hollywood jewelry.

What's great about it is, that it's a collectible that one can wear, which is not true of most things related to films. Now for sure, I do not have any pieces that were actually in a movie, since they would cost a mint, but it is fun to collect pieces that Joseff of Hollywood started making available to the public in the late 1930's at stores like Nieman Marcus, Saks and other high end shops.

For those not familiar with his work, Joseff, named Eugene Joseff when born in the early 1900's in Chicago started out there in advertising and also learning techniques in forging bronze. Upon moving to Hollywood, he was friends with costume designer, Walter Plunkett and from this link began making jewelry for films using the same forging techniques, combined with much background research on making pieces for films that were historically accurate.

If you look up his resume, you will find that his jewelry and other metal work was utilized in numerous films like "Shanghai Gesture", to "Gone With the Wind" to "Cleopatra" with Liz Taylor. Joseff had developed an antiquing process that he would plate the cast designs with which did not reflect light as most movie jewelry had and gave things a subdued, and Renaissance look. He also was credited with realizing he could earn more by renting his jewelry to film companies and then they would be returned for additional uses by other studios. In later years, his company would still make items for tv shows like "Dallas" and "Dynasty" supposedly. 

If interested, they still have a website or one can find Joseff of Hollywood pieces, admittedly more likely ones that were sold to the public, on Ebay. I am currently looking at a very outre brooch of a headhunter there which is going for only the measly sum of $674.99.

Yes, it can be expensive to buy Joseff of Hollywood, but you will feel like a star if you do!

What do you collect, if you don't mind me being nosy?

• Like 1

I don't go seeking out autographs of everyone, and most people who interested me died before I was born, but:

I have autographed photographs from the following people:

Martin Sheen - after I wrote him a letter

David Suchet - with a letter

Edward Hardwicke - who corresponded with me in several letters

I don't go seeking out autographs of everyone, and most people who interested me died before I was born, but:

I have autographed photographs from the following people:

Martin Sheen - after I wrote him a letter

David Suchet - with a letter

Edward Hardwicke - who corresponded with me in several letters

Well, I think that is the start of a wonderful collection, CF!

I have only the autograph of Little Richard and Richard Widmark.

Oh, I forgot, also King Hussein.

I only got one of them personally. Guess which one?

• Like 1

Well, I think that is the start of a wonderful collection, CF!

I have only the autograph of Little Richard and Richard Widmark.

Oh, I forgot, also King Hussein.

I only got one of them personally. Guess which one?

You have an autographed picture of Richard Widmark. WOW!

I also have letters but no photographs written by Agatha Christie to my great Aunt  and Pierre Eliot Trudeau to my grandmother when she turned 75.

• Like 1

You have an autographed picture of Richard Widmark. WOW!

I also have letters but no photographs written by Agatha Christie to my great Aunt  and Pierre Eliot Trudeau to my grandmother when she turned 75.

Now that is really impressive, CF.

I'm sure letters written by Agatha Christie are really valuable, and much more so than any autograph.

Does she mention where she was that time she appeared to be kidnapped and was she out cavorting with some gigolo on the side?

The letters of a political figure like Trudeau, would also be so interesting to read. Thanks for submitting such great inheritance items to my thread. 

• Like 1

Now that is really impressive, CF.

I'm sure letters written by Agatha Christie are really valuable, and much more so than any autograph.

Does she mention where she was that time she appeared to be kidnapped and was she out cavorting with some gigolo on the side?

The letters of a political figure like Trudeau, would also be so interesting to read. Thanks for submitting such great inheritance items to my thread. 

The Agatha Christie letter was in response to a letter my Great Aunt wrote her about Egyptology.  Agatha's s second husband was an Egyptologist and I think she was thrilled to get a letter from a fan not asking her about Hercule Poirot.

This should probably come as no surprise to anyone, but I collect I Love Lucy and Lucille Ball things.  I don't particularly buy all the mass-produced I Love Lucy tchotchkes just because it has I Love Lucy on it, but I buy things here and there that amuse me.  I wish I could say that I own one of Lucy's dresses from the show or a swatch of the fabric off the first season couch, but I do not.  The oldest thing I have are two 1950s I Love Lucy comic books.  I'm always on the look out for them in antique shops and comic book shops that have old comics and have only been successful twice--the two comics that I bought at a SE Portland comic book shop.  

I have many of the I Love Lucy Mattel Barbie dolls that started production in 1998 and and ended in 2011, but I don't have all of them.  They're all still in the box, never been touched.  I'm still on the search for the dolls if I happen to see them for sale for a reasonable price.  

Aside from the dolls and my comics, I also purchase an annual I Love Lucy calendar, I try to buy Lucille Ball's films, I have all of I Love Lucy and The Lucy Show DVDs, and I also own: wine glasses, shot glasses, small tins w/ pictures from I Love Lucy, The Legends of Hollywood: Lucille Ball postage stamps, two board games, a puzzle, and probably more stuff that I cannot remember right now.

I also like to collect movies and board games, but I suppose I only collect the ones I like.  I won't just buy something because it's a movie or a board game, lol.  

Speedy - yes, I am not surprised about Lucy and your collection.

I also collect Star Trek calanders - the original series.

I know some people who kept their Cabbage Patch Kids in their original boxes. They came out when I was ten.  I did not keep mine in  my boxes.

I have a very old and much loved Snoopy dog doll.

Speedy - yes, I am not surprised about Lucy and your collection.

I also collect Star Trek calanders - the original series.

I know some people who kept their Cabbage Patch Kids in their original boxes. They came out when I was ten.  I did not keep mine in  my boxes.

I have a very old and much loved Snoopy dog doll.

I had a Cabbage Patch kid in the mid-80s when I was little.  Mine also did not stay in the box and is long gone.  I also used to own a Rainbow Brite doll and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle action figures. I still have my 1984 Care Bear (Cheer Bear) that was my teddy bear.  I also still have a late 80s Popples and a Pound Puppy. 

I had a Cabbage Patch kid in the mid-80s when I was little.  Mine also did not stay in the box and is long gone.  I also used to own a Rainbow Brite doll and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle action figures. I still have my 1984 Care Bear (Cheer Bear) that was my teddy bear.  I also still have a late 80s Popples and a Pound Puppy. 

I`m about 8 and a half years older than you are, so a lot of our dolls and toys are the same.

I have a lot of my old dolls in trunks.

Most of my Barbie stuff outside my actual Barbie dolls  and clothes I no longer have the other Barbie stuff like the motor home, pool, etc.  It took up too much space for an apartment and I have no children.

There is an Elvis tribute artist who lives in my city who owns  one of Elvis's pink cars and has bee putting it back to original condition with changes every few years. He puts it in Vintage car collections s shows.   It's a beautiful car.  The tribute Artist is names Steve Eliot.

I have two mid-size Posters, one from "The Conqueror" (1956), the other from John Fords' "Drums Along the Mohawk (1939).

I also collect books: my oddest find is "Marlene Dietrich's ABC" (Hardback, Doubleday, 1961) which is her alphabetized Musings on  Life, Love, Cooking, etc.  Was 50 cents at a Used Book sale.

Hardest to Find--Veronica Lake's "Veronica"--I've seen one copy, and I bought it at a library sale--for a quarter.

• Like 1

This should probably come as no surprise to anyone, but I collect I Love Lucy and Lucille Ball things.  I don't particularly buy all the mass-produced I Love Lucy tchotchkes just because it has I Love Lucy on it, but I buy things here and there that amuse me.  I wish I could say that I own one of Lucy's dresses from the show or a swatch of the fabric off the first season couch, but I do not.  The oldest thing I have are two 1950s I Love Lucy comic books.  I'm always on the look out for them in antique shops and comic book shops that have old comics and have only been successful twice--the two comics that I bought at a SE Portland comic book shop.  

I have many of the I Love Lucy Mattel Barbie dolls that started production in 1998 and and ended in 2011, but I don't have all of them.  They're all still in the box, never been touched.  I'm still on the search for the dolls if I happen to see them for sale for a reasonable price.  

Aside from the dolls and my comics, I also purchase an annual I Love Lucy calendar, I try to buy Lucille Ball's films, I have all of I Love Lucy and The Lucy Show DVDs, and I also own: wine glasses, shot glasses, small tins w/ pictures from I Love Lucy, The Legends of Hollywood: Lucille Ball postage stamps, two board games, a puzzle, and probably more stuff that I cannot remember right now.

I also like to collect movies and board games, but I suppose I only collect the ones I like.  I won't just buy something because it's a movie or a board game, lol.  

How wonderful, Speedracer and thanks for sharing info about your collectibles.

My sister-in-law is a Lucy addict and I got her that book detailing all the ILL shows, and she loved it. She is the only person I know who thinks Hal March is a great actor.

Wasn't there a 3-D "I Love Lucy" comic book? I think I've seen it at an antique show. I could be wrong, so I'm asking you the expert!

I have two mid-size Posters, one from "The Conqueror" (1956), the other from John Fords' "Drums Along the Mohawk (1939).

I also collect books: my oddest find is "Marlene Dietrich's ABC" (Hardback, Doubleday, 1961) which is her alphabetized Musings on  Life, Love, Cooking, etc.  Was 50 cents at a Used Book sale.

Hardest to Find--Veronica Lake's "Veronica"--I've seen one copy, and I bought it at a library sale--for a quarter.

Wow, great stuff, FL!

The Dietrich book sounds like a real winner. I like the offbeat stuff which was not so popular. Being that I love Veronica, I can understand the attraction to anything about her. I have some stills with her but no big items.

I did find the biography of Gloria Grahame which was a great read, at a second hand store. 

• Like 1

I have a 1963 Sears Flightliner bicycle that I got for only $65 at a local antique store, and it's in  working condition! After my bike got stolen on my college campus, I decided, why not?

I have also been collecting Barbra Streisand albums for the past couple years, as I absolutely LOVE her. I have her latest two on CD (Release Me & Partners) and then I have about 24 or 25 of her records.

I've been also buying some old photographs (mostly from the 40s and 50s) from one of the antique stores close to where I live; I've decided to make a sort of collage since it would be visually appealing and the photographs are really cheap (no one else really buys them)

X274PGF.jpg

This is a photo I took of the collage (work in progress lol). You might not be able to see everything in detail, but it sort of gives you all an idea of what I'm working on.

• Like 3

I have a 1963 Sears Flightliner bicycle that I got for only $65 at a local antique store, and it's in  working condition! After my bike got stolen on my college campus, I decided, why not?

I have also been collecting Barbra Streisand albums for the past couple years, as I absolutely LOVE her. I have her latest two on CD (Release Me & Partners) and then I have about 24 or 25 of her records.

I've been also buying some old photographs (mostly from the 40s and 50s) from one of the antique stores close to where I live; I've decided to make a sort of collage since it would be visually appealing and the photographs are really cheap (no one else really buys them)

X274PGF.jpg

This is a photo I took of the collage (work in progress lol). You might not be able to see everything in detail, but it sort of gives you all an idea of what I'm working on.

How wonderful, N&N!

I once bought a giant roll of wrapping paper which looked a lot like your collage of black and white stills from films and I used it to paper a wall in my house. It looked super and I think your collage will be great also when you finish.

Thanks for sharing and how many albums did Barbra actually make I wonder?

How wonderful, N&N!

I once bought a giant roll of wrapping paper which looked a lot like your collage of black and white stills from films and I used it to paper a wall in my house. It looked super and I think your collage will be great also when you finish.

Thanks for sharing and how many albums did Barbra actually make I wonder?

From what I can tell, she made around 69 of them (including greatest hits and duets compilations). I have this Barbra: A Retrospective book, and it has every one of her vinyl albums listed in chronological order with some details about each.

Aboat...(ahem...excuse me...I guess I was up in BC longer than I thought)...ABOUT 20 years ago now, my wife's sister knowing the classic film fan that I am, gave me as a Christmas present an original lobby card of a scene in IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE that has both Jimmy Stewart's and Donna Reed's autograph on it.

(...it's framed and proudly mounted on the wall in our den)

• Like 5

Aboat...(ahem...excuse me...I guess I was up in BC longer than I thought)...ABOUT 20 years ago now, my wife's sister knowing the classic film fan that I am, gave me as a Christmas present an original lobby card of a scene in IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE that has both Jimmy Stewart's and Donna Reed's autograph on it.

(...it's framed and proudly mounted on the wall in our den)

Wonderful, Dargo.

:)

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings