Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Most Endearing Movie Monsters

CaveGirl

Let's face it, a lot of times while watching a movie with supposed monsters, one finds them more appealing than the stars.

Point in fact, it was Greta Garbo who said "Bring back the beast" after seeing Jean Cocteau's "La Belle et Le Bete"'s ending, where the beast became a sugar coated guy who looked like he belonged on the lid of a candy box.

For me, Kong is very appealing. Those cute, twinkly eyes, the delicate way he takes off Fay Wray's attire while she is tied down, and of course his cute stalking techniques.

Of course most films do not have the great Willis O'Brien helping the action, and for my money only the 1933 version is really hypnagogic and dreamlike, as the later versions do not at all show Kong's personality as well.

Name an endearing movie monster and one that should have been offed for being too stone-faced or badly costumed to live more than a few days.

I saw some film the other day with Robert Shayne on maybe Comet and it was the worst monster mask I've ever seen in a movie. Even worse than all those Mexican ones like the Brainiac film!

I loved James Arness as The Thing From Around the World and hated the humans in that film.

A monster I wanted offed early - hmmmm - The Loss Ness Monster in a Sherlock Holmes mystery.

So you found Arness attractive all encased in ice, CF?

And you didn't like Nessie?

I have bought Jimmy Page's old mansion on the banks of Loch Ness if you'd ever like to visit and we can talk shop.

• Like 1

So you found Arness attractive all encased in ice, CF?

And you didn't like Nessie?

I have bought Jimmy Page's old mansion on the banks of Loch Ness if you'd ever like to visit and we can talk shop.

Nessie was too dark to see and this I found annoying.

I found Arness sweet and I cried when he died.

I would love to visit you in Jimmy Page's old mansion.  Now to get the money to travel.....

• Like 1

He scared me as a kid, but now I regard him as my lycanthropic friend.

Lon Chaney Jr. as Larry Talbot (aka the Wolf Man) in Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

Here he is, eagerly waiting to greet Lou at the door (a guy like this didn't need a watch dog around the house):

ab2.jpg

• Like 2

He scared me as a kid, but now I regard him as my lycanthropic friend.

Lon Chaney Jr. as Larry Talbot (aka the Wolf Man) in Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

Here he is, eagerly waiting to greet Lou at the door (a guy like this didn't need a watch dog around the house):

ab2.jpg

Lon, or Creighton is kinda more appealing to me as the Wolfman than as Larry Talbot.

He reminds me of another real life sideshow attraction, called Jo-Jo, the Dog Faced Boy. He had that hirsutism issue too.

Lon, or Creighton is kinda more appealing to me as the Wolfman than as Larry Talbot.

He reminds me of another real life sideshow attraction, called Jo-Jo, the Dog Faced Boy. He had that hirsutism issue too.

Enough with the fancy words, Cave Girl. Just come out and say he had a hair suit issue.

• Like 1

Enough with the fancy words, Cave Girl. Just come out and say he had a hair suit issue.

I used the word "hirsute", Tommyboy so I would not have to talk about what the nuns called "ciliciums" from the Latin, that were those old hair shirts that wacky martyrs used to wear to auto-torture themselves and gain salvation. 

I think a lot of them were made from old goat's hair, but when I say "old goats" I do not mean the human kind.

When you say "hair suit" all it makes me think of is that song by Warren Zevon called "Werewolves of London".

Haha!

I'd nominate this chap as most endearing monster, although he's not done any full length movies:

cookie_monster_engadget_lede.png

I root for all monsters, even (often especially) the poorly costumed ones, so no candidates for offing.

And this, just because:

27408940d1387521830-all-encompassing-god

There really needs to be a muppet/japanese monster mash-up movie. It would be awesome.

• Like 5

There's an episode of Route 66 with Lon Chaney, Boris Karloff and Peter Lorre doing spooky roles.  Very entertaining.

one of my older favorites

20mil.jpg

Ymir from 20 Million Miles to Earth

I like this movie most of the time, but sometimes not.  Not sure why, but William Hopper appeals to me and he was in a few Sci-Fi's in the 50's.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings