Find results in...

~Harold & Maude~ [i]a kind of tribute[/i]

[nobr]Thank you, TCM!!!![/nobr]

First time I ever saw the film.

So beautiful.

So bittersweet.

So hilarious.

[nobr]N_Hale.gif[/nobr]

That's what this country needs--more Nathan Hales.

[nobr]1204.gif1204.gif1204.gif1204.gif1204.gif1204.gif1204.gif1204.gif1204.gif1204.gif1204.gif1204.gif1204.gif1204.gif1204.gif1204.gif[/nobr]

Am so enamoured with Ruth Gordon's manner; I can easily see falling in love with her.

[nobr]web.ftv.haroldmaud.jpg[/nobr]

Wish she had done more in front of the camera in her career.

Also, this was the first time I had a chance to really delve into a Bud Cort performance, and I really really really liked his Harold Chasen, very understated yet very emotive.

[nobr]BudCortHarold.jpg[/nobr]

Ashby's direction and Alonzo's cinematography are so superb!!!

All the wonderful on-location shooting, capturing the moist, green, maritime splendour of the Bay Area (my old stomping grounds) very effectively. . .

the Holy Cross & Golden Gate National cemeteries

[nobr]x-harold04.jpg[/nobr]

[nobr]x-harold16.jpg[/nobr]

Oyster Point Boulevard

[nobr]x-harold21.jpg[/nobr]

the old Dumbarton Bridge

[nobr]x-harold20.jpg[/nobr]

the Sutro Bath ruins

[nobr]x-harold24.jpg[/nobr]

the mudflat sculptures of Emeryville

[nobr]x-harold28.jpg[/nobr]

Mori Point (and the coastline near Pacifica)

[nobr]x-pacifica.jpg[/nobr]

and, of course, the magnificent Rose Court Mansion

[nobr]x-harold05.jpg[/nobr]

Cane's set designing of the interiors and exteriors of the mansion created such a great neo-gothic gloominess to Harold's 'home.'

And, I also loved Theiss' costume design.

Loved the costumes for Harold, but particularly delighted in the costumes for his mum.

All this and a Jag mini-hearse!!!!

[nobr]JagHear.jpg[/nobr]

FAR-OUT B-)

And last but most . . . Higgins' story - masterful.

[nobr]sunset2.jpg[/nobr]

Well, if you want to sing out, sing out!

And if you want to be free, be free!

'Cause there's a million things to be.

You know that there are.

S A M

[nobr]527.gif[/nobr]

I miss those sculptures in the Emeryville waterway. It was always a landmark to me, and I looked forward to seeing what I would find there each time we drove by on I-80. They no longer create these whimsical constructions anymore. It's great that we have Harold and Maude to remind us...

In the waterway, wasn't there also (or isn't there still?) a statue construction of the WWI Flying Ace on his Sopwith Camel doghouse cruising just above the water's surface?

Pity there wasn't a shot of H&M on Twin Peaks in SF, too, with MissionBlue butterflies flittering about them. Would've liked to have seen the 1971 cityscape from that view.

What little one can make-out as H&M look across the bay from Emeryville, the city looks amazingly undeveloped at that time. But at least it still would have had, then, the Folgers roasting plant scenting the air as one came in off of the Bay Bridge. B-)

Hi Sam Therapy -

I am so happy to hear you have met "Harold and Maude" for the first time and were so moved / excited / admiring as to put together this tribute of screen captures. It had been a while since I last saw it and caught up with it again last evening myself.

I still react in the same manner you do after your first viewing even though this has to be close to my fifteenth. I could still recite the lines before they were uttered on the screen but they still elicted a laugh, a chuckle or a nod of everlasting truth.

("I find the question distasteful." / "After all, he was General MacArthur's right-hand man." / "Oh my. How the world still dearly loves a cage"./ "Poli Sci with a minor in Home Economics.")

I don't remember the last time I was left with such a contented feeling from a film experience as I am after watching "Harold and Maude".

Oh, that more lost souls could connect with one another as our two heroes connect. I believe many people wish that for themselves and others. I do hope so. That this film played 100 (!) consecutive weeks in a theater in Minneapolis during its original release tells me at least the _film_ connected to some people. I guess that is the next best thing. Or better than nothing. And I am thrilled to know it connected to you.

Kyle In Hollywood

Hiya Kyle.

//left with such a contented feeling from a film experience//

That is indeed precisely how I felt.

I found the film so encouraging, enlightening and inspiring.

When M&H tell each other of their liking for one another, and then later confide their mutual love for each other - the captured talents of Ms Gordon and Mr. Cort conveying that sincerity, vulnerability and sensitivity was so utterly moving to me, even now in recollection.

Wasn't mad at nor sad for Maude deciding to euthanise her self, but felt like it was perhaps premature since she had apparently found some more worthwhileness to Life, again, for the time being, in her friendship with and mentorship of Harold. However, given the film's brilliant subtlety in conveying elements of Maude's history to the audience (e.g. references to Vienna "before" et cetera), perhaps I should give Maude the benefit of the doubt and conclude that she was beetling over terminal illness or something. Still, I rather grieved her absence from the remainder of the film, but was hopeful seeing Harold had learnt from her not to succumb to sadness and despair, but to grow from it and persevere.

//And I am thrilled to know it connected to you.//

It most certainly did. And thanks for the connexion from you Kyle. :-)

~Peace~

S A M

"Resurrecting this from the bowels of the boards at the request and in appreciation of the author."

Thanks, Kyle. This thread slipped by me somehow, and I wasn't sure to what tribute Sam was referring. I wish I had seen it in a theater, but was instead introduced to it by my visiting eldest brother twenty-something years ago around 2am on a local TV station. A great bonding experience I still treasure today.

I saw Harold and Maude at the movie theatre when it first came out back when the screen size at theatres was the right aspect ratio. Seeing it when I was at the right age to appreciate it has a lot to do with my love for this movie I guess. Having Cat Stevens music all through it doesn?t hurt either.