Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trying to confirm a suspicion

scifinc

I've heard/suspected/wondered about the movie "The Court Jester"starring Danny Kaye. I've long suspected that the scenes where he went from country bumpkin to the greatest swordsman in the country were done without a cut,that is filmed in one take. Is there anyway to confirm or deny this? I'd greatly appreciate any information.

from IMDB...

"In the famous "snapping" swordfight between Danny Kaye and Basil Rathbone, Kaye's sword movements were too fast for Rathbone, who was 63 at the time. The film's fight choreographer dressed up as Rathbone's character and was filmed from behind for the fast sections. If you look, you can see that most of the fight consists of "Rathbone" from the back, then shots of the real Rathbone standing "en garde".

so, no, not w/o film editing :)

• Like 1

Mr 666

Thank you for the reply, but I was specifically in search of the actual change in Danny Kaye's stature and facial expressions.   I saw him do it once in a live tv special with John Denver where he gave the Russian version of "Country Roads".   To me being able to pull off that kind of change in demeanor without taking a "cut" to compose ones self is truly acting.   I personally believe Mr Kaye capable of this feat and I am trying to verify the suspicion of a rumor as the saying goes.

Regardless thank you for taking an interest.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings