Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44394156

Trump asks if Canada burnt down White House in call with PM

Canadians have reacted with dismay to reports US President Donald Trump questioned whether Canada burned down the White House during a call with the country's leader, Justin Trudeau.

British forces did set fire to the presidential residence during the War of 1812 with the US.

But Canada did not exist at the time - it was made up of British colonies.

"Didn't you guys burn down the White House?" Mr Trump reportedly asked in a call with Mr Trudeau over new tariffs.

It is not clear if the comment was intended as a joke, but CNN report that it followed an exchange in which Mr Trudeau asked how the US could justify the tariffs as a "national security" issue.

• Thanks 1

There is no surge in Trump's approval ratings. In Gallup's weekly tracking over the past 10 weeks, Trump's ratings have been a net negative by an average of 13.4 points. This week he is at a net negative of 14 points.

De8EbzaUYAE9TIs.jpg

6 minutes ago, jakeem said:

New: Facebook says it accidentally changed settings for 14 million users last month causing posts they may have thought were private to be public. My colleague @heatherkelly reports: http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/07/technology/facebook-public-post-error/index.html 

DfHE9dNUwAArxk7.jpg

They knew what they signed up for.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, jakeem said:

A majority of U.S. voters say that NFL players who kneel to protest police brutality and racial inequality during the national anthem are not unpatriotic, according to a new poll

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/07/poll-nfl-kneeling-anthem-630380

As a retired Army officer and veteran of two wars, my opinion is that what makes America America is that you can burn the flag, kneel during the National Anthem, etc. as Free Speech in order to protest.  Actually I get upset when I see law enforcement, fire fighters, EMS, etc. wearing the US flag as part of their uniform.  It will get dirty and be washed with all the other dirty laundry.  Flying it from the back of a fire truck or other vehicle as a matter of routine is just as bad.  It will be exposed to fading, dirt, exhaust fumes, excessive wear, etc.  False patriotism.  The military wears a subdued version as part of uniform to identify themselves as US Armed Forces.

As for Roseann Barr, there is a difference between Protest and Racisim and attacking people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Lawmakers to get a third briefing on FBI informant in Russia probe who had contact with Trump campaign. Speaker Ryan debunks 'spy' theory but says: "We still have some unanswered questions."

https://www.apnews.com/bd84754c34484d51a01104958aa83b4b/DOJ-offers-new-briefing-as-lawmakers-dispute-Trump-spy-claim?utm_medium=AP_Politics&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

https://storage.googleapis.com/afs-prod/media/media:4f78d709842a494a8dc2450f804742bd/800.jpeg

https://apnews.com/d084d718ddda4fe087219825bad0fcbd

Analysis: HUD plan would raise rents for poor by 20 percent

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — Housing Secretary Ben Carson says his latest proposal to raise rents would mean a path toward self-sufficiency for millions of low-income households across the United States by pushing more people to find work. For Ebony Morris and her four small children, it could mean homelessness.

Morris lives in Charleston, South Carolina, where most households receiving federal housing assistance would see their rent go up an average 26 percent, according to an analysis done by Center on Budget and Policy Priorities and provided exclusively to The Associated Press. But her increase would be nearly double that.

Overall, the analysis shows that in the nation’s 100 largest metropolitan areas, low-income tenants — many of whom have jobs — would have to pay roughly 20 percent more each year for rent under the plan. That rent increase is about six times greater than the growth in average hourly earnings, putting the poorest workers at an increased risk of homelessnessbecause wages simply haven’t kept pace with housing expenses.

“I saw public housing as an option to get on my feet, to pay 30 percent of my income and get myself out of debt and eventually become a homeowner,” said Morris, whose monthly rent would jump from $403 to $600. “But this would put us in a homeless state.”

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

The real question is why do they rely on all of this junk? What is it that makes these people so low in self-esteem and paranoid that they need to make up conspiracy theories and other nonsense just to be entertained or to feel good about themselves.

Is it a psychological mental health issue or is it simply that critical thinking and objective analysis of primary sources in social studies research has not been taught properly on the high school level?

But I know there is a lot of mental illness in the United States that's gone untreated due to governmental funding cuts on every level.

I don't know. I don't think it goes as far as being a mental health issue. I think it's more of

a way of dealing with a world that can be very complicated and ambiguous. Having some grand

conspiracy theory that explains everything makes the world seem very simple. Why did X, Y, and

Z happen? Well, the Humdinger Group is behind it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, hamradio said:

Snopes has shown there are no alien bodies at Area 51.  Finally at last closure. Maybe that farce of a museum there can be closed   Didn't took Snopes for me  not believing in that trash.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/boyd-bushman-makes-deathbed-confession-aliens/

Not very germane to the topic.  Snopes is where conspiracy theories, mostly right wing ones, go to die.

9 hours ago, jakeem said:

Sean Hannity is publicly instructing people to obstruct justice here by telling witnesses to destroy evidence before turning it over to Muller. This is a federal crime where the defendant may be sentenced to up to 20 years in prison.

DfDfY_CWkAETYM_.jpg

If this is all a witch hunt as Donny and Sean say, why would anyone have evidence to

destroy? Hannity, dumb as ever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1