Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

About Lists

misswonderly3

I was going to title this "The Anti-List Thread", but I thought that would start things off on the wrong foot.

This is the crux of the biscuit: I always find these threads about lists of this or that, favourite actor, most noteworthy films of 1943, artists' best songs, best pizza toppings....

The subject matter of the thread interests me, so I jump in and start posting. But then I notice, hey, all we're all doing is, making lists. Literally. Just typing up the movies or bands or directors (or pizza toppings) that we like or think are list-worthy. That's it.

Fine. But, as John Cleese once said, upon being offered a chocolate with steel bolts in it, "Where's the pleasure in that?" If you love something - be it a song, a movie, whatever (feta cheese on pizza?) - don't you like to talk about why you love it? Isn't it more fun, more interesting, to contribute your list, and then - briefly,  mind, - write a sentence or two about what it is about that movie, actor, song, etc. that makes you like it so much?

If this site is at least partly supposed to be about sharing and exchanging opinions and ideas (mostly about movies), how am I going to know what your opinion really is, what it's based on, if you just write up a post naming 5 films from, say, 1955, and don't say one word about why you like them, or why you think they're the best movies from that year?

PLEASE, those of you who create "List" threads, don't think I'm belittling or criticizing you for doing so.  I wrote "please" in block caps to emphasize, I'm not disparaging posters who like to make "list"threads. These forums are and always have been rife with LIST threads. And they're fun.

But I'd love it if someone could explain to me why people don't want to talk - just a little - about the reasons why they chose the films / directors/ soul bands/ whatever  that made it to their list.

We're all a pretty articulate bunch here. Most of us know very well why we like or don't like something. Isn't it more fun to share that with the other posters on the list threads, instead of just plunking down your choices with no discussion about what it is about them that you think is special?

I feel I'm in the minority here, that everyone else is happy to just contribute their suggestions to the list without talking about them. Am I the only one who thinks it's more fun to have a bit of a conversation about it?

(ps: Any hint of a whiney tone in this post is purely unintentional.)

• Like 6

For me I think it depends upon the thread.

I'm perfectly happy to just talk about movies or music without a list, and then there are threads - and yes, they seem to be mostly about music here - where lists are made.

I make a lot of lists on this forum.

Other times I discuss a movie in great detail.

I do make lists in the top 10 threads, RnR Hall of Fame thread, deadhead sticker thread and Favourite Performances thread on purpose.

However, other times I list things like what Robert Ryan films I was going to record but I do not go into great detail because they have not yet aired and I don't want to give away lots of the plot.

What you could do is start a thread about music with 'No lists,' Just talk in the thread title.

I set up my thread about TV detectives with tags purposely so that people knew that they could talk about any TV detective show at all.

• Like 1

ColumboFan wrote:

"For me I think it depends upon the thread.

I'm perfectly happy to just talk about movies or music without a list, and then there are threads - and yes, they seem to be mostly about music here - where lists are made.

I make a lot of lists on this forum.

Other times I discuss a movie in great detail.

I do make lists in the top 10 threads, RnR Hall of Fame thread, deadhead sticker thread and Favourite Performances thread on purpose.

However, other times I list things like what Robert Ryan films I was going to record but I do not go into great detail because they have not yet aired and I don't want to give away lots of the plot.

What you could do is start a thread about music with 'No lists,' Just talk in the thread title.

I set up my thread about TV detectives with tags purposely so that people knew that they could talk about any TV detective show at all. "

Me, in response to the above  (sorry, I messed up the quote feature )

...Or, one could keep it simple, and just write a sentence or two beside the item that made it to the list.

Example:  Favourite Van Heflin movies:  (this topic was picked totally at random, just to demonstrate a point)

Act of Violence - a wonderful film noir with great performances from Heflin and Robert Ryan. These two leads' characters are varying shades of grey, nothing's black and white - except the fabulous cinematography, which takes us on a nightmarish ride through the back streets and seedy underground of Los Angeles 

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers - another atmospheric noir. ( Van was in several good film noirs) His performance in this strikes a fine balance between rough wanderer type and tender good guy. 

too fancy dancy? they don't have to be wanna-be New Yorker mini-reviews (which is good, because mine are a long way from that.) Ok:

3:10 to Yuma: I love Van Heflin in this. He really conveys the desperation of the farmer, and his reluctant respect for the man he's sending to prison. This is also one of my favourite Westerns

Ok, I don't want this to be a thread about Van Heflin. I just picked him as an example of how we can make a "list" thread more interesting by adding a thought or two about WHY we put it on our list. It doesn't have to be either a list thread or a discussion thread. It can be both, no problem.

• Like 4

As one of the most egregious of the heinous "list-makers", I'll say that I haven't made a conscious decision not to elaborate on the topic. I often do make commentary, but it has to come naturally, I don't want to force it. Currently I regularly post in 3 list threads: the top ten movies of whatever year thread, the best performances of whatever year, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame thread.

I don't make much commentary on the top ten movies thread because it ran its course a few months ago (as in, we went from 1930 through to 2015), and the recent postings have just been a reminder related to the top performances thread. But during its initial run, there was a lot of discussion (and not always nice!) about why or why not we liked a movie.

The performances thread gets a lot of commentary about specific roles, actors, or personal experiences related to such.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame thread has had some commentary (I talked about seeing Bo Diddley in concert, others have talked about their concert experiences, etc), but not a lot, and that's because in the earliest part of the proceedings, we've been talking about musicians that are perhaps not as well-known or hold much of a personal connection. As the artists get closer to "our time", the personal commentary should (hopefully) increase. I really don't have a lot to say about, for instance, Eddie Cochran, but I will about The Beatles, or The Who, etc.

• Like 4

I'm the original lists girl.

I make all these Preparatory lists to go to the grocery store, the organic store, the dollar store and, of course Walmart.

I usually do one of two things: I'll leave the list at home or leave the list in the car.

But I do okay because the list helped me to organize my mind. Also helped me to remember what it was that I was going to buy and what it was going to cost excetera excetera.

I think this list thing with me started with top 40. I was a slave to the top 40 my entire time in school. Then from the top 40, we went to the top British Invasion groups and the top American Invasion groups excetera excetera.

I used listen to a big station in Chicago called WLS. Every night at 9 o'clock they would compile the most requests for that day. just for that day you had the top 5. Every night would be a little different and I would compile all these lists.

I recently came across all these lists from junior high school and they were really funny.

They were my favorite groups, my favorite songs,actors/actresses--all that sort of thing.

So for me I think it goes back to Top 40 AM radio.

So much for nostalgia. LOL

• Like 1

As one of the most egregious of the heinous "list-makers"....

Come on, I went out of my way to say that I like "list" threads - that's why I go on them in the first place - and that I have no problem with them or the people or create them. I was just suggesting there was a way to make them a little more conversational and interesting.

Now, I never said, meant, or implied "heinous".

• Like 5

I was going to title this "The Anti-List Thread", but I thought that would start things off on the wrong foot.

This is the crux of the biscuit: I always find these threads about lists of this or that, favourite actor, most noteworthy films of 1943, artists' best songs, best pizza toppings....

The subject matter of the thread interests me, so I jump in and start posting. But then I notice, hey, all we're all doing is, making lists. Literally. Just typing up the movies or bands or directors (or pizza toppings) that we like or think are list-worthy. That's it.

Fine. But, as John Cleese once said, upon being offered a chocolate with steel bolts in it, "Where's the pleasure in that?" If you love something - be it a song, a movie, whatever (feta cheese on pizza?) - don't you like to talk about why you love it? Isn't it more fun, more interesting, to contribute your list, and then - briefly,  mind, - write a sentence or two about what it is about that movie, actor, song, etc. that makes you like it so much?

If this site is at least partly supposed to be about sharing and exchanging opinions and ideas (mostly about movies), how am I going to know what your opinion really is, what it's based on, if you just write up a post naming 5 films from, say, 1955, and don't say one word about why you like them, or why you think they're the best movies from that year?

PLEASE, those of you who create "List" threads, don't think I'm belittling or criticizing you for doing so.  I wrote "please" in block caps to emphasize, I'm not disparaging posters who like to make "list"threads. These forums are and always have been rife with LIST threads. And they're fun.

But I'd love it if someone could explain to me why people don't want to talk - just a little - about the reasons why they chose the films / directors/ soul bands/ whatever  that made it to their list.

We're all a pretty articulate bunch here. Most of us know very well why we like or don't like something. Isn't it more fun to share that with the other posters on the list threads, instead of just plunking down your choices with no discussion about what it is about them that you think is special?

I feel I'm in the minority here, that everyone else is happy to just contribute their suggestions to the list without talking about them. Am I the only one who thinks it's more fun to have a bit of a conversation about it?

(ps: Any hint of a whiney tone in this post is purely unintentional.)

Well, I jumped the gun with your post since upon reading the title, first I thought it was about serial killer John List, then realized it was probably about movie "lists" and I was going to say I make them all the time. I make lists of character actors that I want to see in all their films, then I make a list of all their films, then I alphabetize my lists of things like "Best Movies with Tiki Plots" or "Films About Crawlspaces" or such, and by then I'm tired and have to go to bed.

But now I read your post and see where you are going with the "List" issue.

Are you sure you really want to hear my opinion. Be careful what you wish for, Miss W.

But of course I agree with you and will be happy to participate!

• Like 2

Sure MissWonderly.

Van Heflin movies I'd love to discuss.

ACT OF VIOLENCE - I hope people who have not seen this recorded it.  Ryan and Heflin have great chemistry in this and nobody is how she/he seems. 

3:10 TO YUMA;  This is one of my favourite westerns and Glenn Ford roles. Ford was originally supposed to play the Heflin part but Ford wanted to expand his roles to bad guys and Heflin took over as the hero.  Here again, the bad guy is not as bad as he would be before the 1950s when shades of grey started to show up in westerns.  Glenn really got under Van's skin and Van knew it.

SHANE: The last film of Jean Arthur's career, Van was a sharp contrast to both Shane/ladd and the violent men in the store/bar for Brandon DeWilde to see to understand what it's like to be a grown man, a homesteader, a gunslinger and a protector.

• Like 2

I'm the original lists girl.

I make all these Preparatory lists to go to the grocery store, the organic store, the dollar store and, of course Walmart.

I usually do one of two things: I'll leave the list at home or leave the list in the car.

But I do okay because the list helped me to organize my mind. Also helped me to remember what it was that I was going to buy and what it was going to cost excetera excetera.

I think this list thing with me started with top 40. I was a slave to the top 40 my entire time in school. Then from the top 40, we went to the top British Invasion groups and the top American Invasion groups excetera excetera.

I used listen to a big station in Chicago called WLS. Every night at 9 o'clock they would compile the most requests for that day. just for that day you had the top 5. Every night would be a little different and I would compile all these lists.

I recently came across all these lists from junior high school and they were really funny.

They were my favorite groups, my favorite songs,actors/actresses--all that sort of thing.

So for me I think it goes back to Top 40 AM radio.

So much for nostalgia. LOL

Oh, gosh this is scary since I also used to collect all those Top 40 lists that you would get at the record store.

• Like 1

As one of the most egregious of the heinous "list-makers", I'll say that I haven't made a conscious decision not to elaborate on the topic. I often do make commentary, but it has to come naturally, I don't want to force it. Currently I regularly post in 3 list threads: the top ten movies of whatever year thread, the best performances of whatever year, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame thread.

I don't make much commentary on the top ten movies thread because it ran its course a few months ago (as in, we went from 1930 through to 2015), and the recent postings have just been a reminder related to the top performances thread. But during its initial run, there was a lot of discussion (and not always nice!) about why or why not we liked a movie.

The performances thread gets a lot of commentary about specific roles, actors, or personal experiences related to such.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame thread has had some commentary (I talked about seeing Bo Diddley in concert, others have talked about their concert experiences, etc), but not a lot, and that's because in the earliest part of the proceedings, we've been talking about musicians that are perhaps not as well-known or hold much of a personal connection. As the artists get closer to "our time", the personal commentary should (hopefully) increase. I really don't have a lot to say about, for instance, Eddie Cochran, but I will about The Beatles, or The Who, etc.

Yes, I have made a lot of extra commentary on the Rock and Roll hall of Fame list.

For example:

I talked about the Elvis tribute concerts I've seen, the fact that there is an Elvis tribute artist in my city who owns a car owned by Elvis etc.

I mentioned regarding Jerry Lee lewis that his performance on David letterman show reminded me of seeing Victor Borge in Vancouver at the Orpheum Theatre near the end of his life with John Cleese sitting in the front row.

Re; favourite Perforrmances thread - I talk in great detail about certain movies.

My "lists" are of films on my to-see list based upon other persons' recommendations.

Come on, I went out of my way to say that I like "list" threads - that's why I go on them in the first place - and that I have no problem with them or the people or create them. I was just suggesting there was a way to make them a little more conversational and interesting.

Now, I never said, meant, or implied "heinous".

No no no...I didn't mean to imply that you were implying...the heinous designation was my own. You aren't the first person to voice a displeasure for simple list making, and in fact you have been the most polite about how you worded it. Often in the past, people have not been nearly as considerate. My "heinous" appellation was an admission of guilt, not a commentary on you.

• Like 4

Sure MissWonderly.

Van Heflin movies I'd love to discuss.

ACT OF VIOLENCE - I hope people who have not seen this recorded it.  Ryan and Heflin have great chemistry in this and nobody is how she/he seems. 

3:10 TO YUMA;  This is one of my favourite westerns and Glenn Ford roles. Ford was originally supposed to play the Heflin part but Ford wanted to expand his roles to bad guys and Heflin took over as the hero.  Here again, the bad guy is not as bad as he would be before the 1950s when shades of grey started to show up in westerns.  Glenn really got under Van's skin and Van knew it.

SHANE: The last film of Jean Arthur's career, Van was a sharp contrast to both Shane/ladd and the violent men in the store/bar for Brandon DeWilde to see to understand what it's like to be a grown man, a homesteader, a gunslinger and a protector.

to quote myself after my Van Heflin list:

Ok, I don't want this to be a thread about Van Heflin. I just picked him as an example of how we can make a "list" thread more interesting by adding a thought or two about WHY we put it on our list. It doesn't have to be either a list thread or a discussion thread. It can be both, no problem.

This isn't about Van Heflin, I just made up a list about him at random to demonstrate how you can have a "list" and still talk about your choices a little.

edit: Didn't mean to sound ungracious. I do thank you for your thoughts on the "example" Van Heflin "list", and yeah, that was more or less what I meant  (ie, add a few comments after the item on your list...)

Okay, MissWonderly.

Since you mentioned Van Heflin, I just tested my ability to describe films that he was in  the same way you did.  That's all.

Because Act of Violence aired as part of Robert Ryan's star of the month overnight, I got all excited to talk about Act of Violence.

This isn't about Van Heflin, I just made up a list about him at random to demonstrate how you can have a "list" and still talk about your choices a little.

edit: Didn't mean to sound ungracious. I do thank you for your thoughts on the "example" Van Heflin "list", and yeah, that was more or less what I meant  (ie, add a few comments after the item on your list...)

Sorry, ColomboFan, I realize I sounded a bit rude. I did add a comment after that post, which I quote above.

• Like 1

Yes, as you know, I've been following your Rock n Roll Hall of Fame List thread. And there are indeed many comments on it, by all the posters participating in it.

I seem to be having a little trouble expressing what I mean about this "list" business. And I'm afraid if I push it, I'll come across as fussy and bee-yochy and nit-picky. I realize I said, "let's have more conversation on those lists threads". So you naturally gave some examples of how there IS conversation on them. 

But talking about the first time you saw a particular movie, or how great it was when you saw a famous favourite musician or band in concert, interesting though it is - I'm not suggesting we don't add these comments, they're fun  - is not the same thing as talking specifically about what it is you like about the song (or movie, etc. etc.) you feel deserved to be on the list.

I don't want to single out your R n R Hall of Fame thread, because it's an interesting thread topic. Also, it's your thread and you can do what you like with it. I'm just saying (and I'll use your thread as an example, just because it's easy to do so) people could add a couple of comments about what they think makes their selection worthy of making it to the list. I'll give another example of what I mean.

Aretha Franklin:

Chain of Fools - love that reverb guitar that introduces the song, and the way it starts with "Chain, chain, chain...."  It's got a "dirty", gritty feel that grabs your attention from start to finish

Respect - I always thought this was about 3 kinds of respect: for the singer as an African American, a woman, and a person. Love the way she literally spells it out

Think- this thing moves ! A nice, fast, soul track

I wrote something about all three, but hey, even if one has nothing to say about two of their choices, shirley they could come up with some idea of why they like one song on their list. I'd be happy with that.

However, I'm beginning to think I'm sounding cranky and demanding, and it seems nobody else quite "gets" what I'm talking about here, so perhaps this all just sounds like one big complaint. Didn't intend it that way.

• Like 1

However, I'm beginning to think I'm sounding cranky and demanding, and it seems nobody else quite "gets" what I'm talking about here, so perhaps this all just sounds like one big complaint. Didn't intend it that way.

No, I get what you're saying, and I agree. I wish people could and would make personal comments like what you have mentioned. Sometimes, though, it can be hard to express why you like a certain thing, especially with music. And hopefully that will get easier as the artists in that thread get newer. Like I've mentioned, I'm not a stickler for rules for the most part in threads, so if any one can or wants to make critical comments, please do so, but also don't feel that you have to. I can make comments on why I chose songs by The Who all day and night long, but Carl Perkins, not so much. Maybe there are people who are the opposite. If so, it's all the better.

And the same goes for the movie threads. A lot of us made personal critical comments on the top ten movie thread for each movie. In the performance thread, not as much, since each list is sooo long. However, we make comments on the reason we liked certain performances if, say, only one of us picked a particular performance, or if everyone picked one performance, we may discuss why that one affected everyone so much.

So we do some of what you hope for, but maybe not enough. 

• Like 2

No, I get what you're saying, and I agree. I wish people could and would make personal comments like what you have mentioned. Sometimes, though, it can be hard to express why you like a certain thing, especially with music. And hopefully that will get easier as the artists in that thread get newer. Like I've mentioned, I'm not a stickler for rules for the most part in threads, so if any one can or wants to make critical comments, please do so, but also don't feel that you have to. I can make comments on why I chose songs by The Who all day and night long, but Carl Perkins, not so much. Maybe there are people who are the opposite. If so, it's all the better.

And the same goes for the movie threads. A lot of us made personal critical comments on the top ten movie thread for each movie. In the performance thread, not as much, since each list is sooo long. However, we make comments on the reason we liked certain performances if, say, only one of us picked a particular performance, or if everyone picked one performance, we may discuss why that one affected everyone so much.

So we do some of what you hope for, but maybe not enough. 

For me, Larry, this will depend upon the artist.

If I am not familiar with the artist, it will just be 'because it is famous and the only one I know."

Until the list gets to people that I've seen in concert, I may not be able to do more than that.

I am submitting my first list on TCM, in chronological order.

This list is of my favorite rock and roll movies, and the reason why they made the list:

1] The Girl Can't Help It [1956] - Though ostensibly not just a movie with a rock and roll theme, it showcases greats like Fats Domino, the Platters, Little Richard, and Eddie Cochran and most importantly, Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps with the fab guitarist Cliff Gallup.

2] High School Confidential [1958] - Again a great storyline with Jerry Lee Lewis on a flatbed truck playing the title tune, and wacky stuff with Mamie and Russ making me laugh.

3] Go, Johnny, Go [1959] - Again Eddie Cochran with Jackie Wilson, Chuck Berry AND Richie Valens!

I pick these as my first three for the list since they have better storylines as backup and also iconic performances from rock and roll icons.

Let's face it most of the films from that time with rock acts had lame-o scripts but these are more fun to watch.

My next list will continue with later great rock films. Thanks for listening!

P.S. I hope Miss Wonderly likes my list?

• Like 5

I will say in my defense that I rarely add comments to my lists because of my limited knowledge, that I do not analyze movies and because my tastes are at variance with the majority.

Limited knowledge: American movies which I know are very mainstream. I am sure that all here have watched all the movies which I might include in any list. I doubt that there are many domestic movies which I know which have not been shown on: TCM. I have no things to contribute as to obscure facts, importance of the movie or any other factor which might possibly be entertaining or enlightening. I believe a movie's inclusion in a list signals that I like it.

Analysis: I realize that I am shallow person in that I do not analyze why I like things. I am content to merely enjoy them. Any comments which I might make concerning vast majority of movies would be boring repetition of: "I like it." "I love it." "I like it." "I love it." "I like it." ...

My tastes: I feel it would be inappropriate for me to add comments to list of foreign movies because I believe that aspects which I find noteworthy would not be seen in the same way by those here. I know also that it would be very rare thing for any here to seek out any foreign movie which I might place in my lists no matter what I might say of it. I am positive that no one has ever watched any foreign movie because I recommended it even when I included information that that movie is available for viewing in full for free with English subtitles on: YouTube. I continue to include foreign movies in my lists solely due to a very few people having commented that they will occasionally add those movies to their lists of things to watch when available on television. 

I appreciate when others make comments concerning movies in their lists because those comments are often enlightening and informative when they concern movies which I have not watched.

• Like 4