Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Not to Miss Short Subjects

CaveGirl

No, not Elisha Cook or Harry Earles!

Here is what I am looking forward to seeing late Saturday nite on TCM. I love this stuff just as much as I love house cleaning, decorating my fridge and wearing wide wale [sp?] corduroy!:

5:30 AM HOUSE IN THE MIDDLE, THE (1954)

Military tests demonstrate the dangers of poor home maintenance in the event of a nuclear attack in this short film.

C-12 mins,

5:30 AM MATCH YOUR MOOD (1968)

Westinghouse shows women how to improve their lives by decorating their refrigerators in this short film.

C-6 mins,

5:30 AM R.F.D. GREENWICH VILLAGE (1969)

A couple tours around New York in this promotional short for corduroy clothing.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's ever been show on TCM, but at the height of the Depression in 1933 Warners made a short film for General Electric called Just Around The Corner. Bette Davis and Dick Powell are a married couple who learn about the value of GE appliances along with his boss, Warren William (who gets top billing). Joan Blondell and Preston Foster also appear.

This film is unusual because most advertising films were made in NY, so it's not often you see one with Hollywood stars.

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up.  I just saw "Match Your Mood" recently.  It's basically a long commercial and it was hilarious.  I loved the music and I also loved the idea of people having dance parties in front of the refrigerator (decorated in a theme suited to the occasion).  This short is also on You Tube.  It comes highly recommended.

I will record "The House in the Middle" and "RFD Greenwich Village," can't go wrong with corduroy.  

I hope TCM airs the "Wonderful World of Tupperware" short again soon.  I really like that one.

In all my years  of going to the show and movie going as I advanced in age, I never saw a "short subject" at any time in any movie house.

I've heard referrences to them( someone in a TV show mentioning "short subjects") but until cable TV came to my area, and channels like HBO, Showtime and TMC would show them in the time slot between movies, I had NEVER laid eyes on one.

I always wondered where and/or how the people in the audience ever got to see these when the segment when they award "Best Short film" on the Oscars TV broadcast was on, and they'd applaude the nominees like they were all too familiar with the film being nominated.

Whenever they show some of them on TCM, I try my best to put off what needs be done at that instant so I can watch them.

Sepiatone

In all my years  of going to the show and movie going as I advanced in age, I never saw a "short subject" at any time in any movie house.

Well I remember seeing WB cartoons before the feature in the mid 60's. I recall 3 Stooges, Our Gang type shorts shown before a kid's movie, but they were obviously already "old".

Don't confuse these with the "promo" type shorts shown on TCM that were made as informational movies for vendors, not for theatrical release. (like Cotten's corderoy & Tupperware)

In the 30's, 40's and into the 50's Travel shorts, studio promo shorts (like Passing Parade) and especially "newsreels" (like Pathé) were much more common in theaters.

Remember- no TV, so newspapers were the only way the average person got this kind of entertainment & information.

(my favorite illustration of this is in ZELIG when the Dr spots Zelig in a newsreel about Hitler! Also in SINCE YOU WENT AWAY, the girls spot their soldier Dad in a newsreel)

Short series like Joe McDoakes, Robert Benchley, 3 Stooges were "training ground" for actors & crew before being signed to a big feature and are great audience warm ups for the feature presentation.

I collect shorts and especially enjoy the classroom instructional movies as well as the short promotional films made by vendors & companies to show all the benefits of their modern commercial wares.

I once recorded a chef promoting a specialty kitchen tool on TCM UNDERGROUND and was shocked to see I HAVE THAT TOOL in my kitchen!

• Like 1

...I once recorded a chef promoting a specialty kitchen tool on TCM UNDERGROUND and was shocked to see I HAVE THAT TOOL in my kitchen!

Yeah, but can it core a apple, Tiki?

;)

Well I remember seeing WB cartoons before the feature in the mid 60's. I recall 3 Stooges, Our Gang type shorts shown before a kid's movie, but they were obviously already "old".

Don't confuse these with the "promo" type shorts shown on TCM that were made as informational movies for vendors, not for theatrical release. (like Cotten's corderoy & Tupperware)

In the 30's, 40's and into the 50's Travel shorts, studio promo shorts (like Passing Parade) and especially "newsreels" (like Pathé) were much more common in theaters.

Remember- no TV, so newspapers were the only way the average person got this kind of entertainment & information.

(my favorite illustration of this is in ZELIG when the Dr spots Zelig in a newsreel about Hitler! Also in SINCE YOU WENT AWAY, the girls spot their soldier Dad in a newsreel)

Short series like Joe McDoakes, Robert Benchley, 3 Stooges were "training ground" for actors & crew before being signed to a big feature and are great audience warm ups for the feature presentation.

I collect shorts and especially enjoy the classroom instructional movies as well as the short promotional films made by vendors & companies to show all the benefits of their modern commercial wares.

I once recorded a chef promoting a specialty kitchen tool on TCM UNDERGROUND and was shocked to see I HAVE THAT TOOL in my kitchen!

Even more shocking, you are certain that neither you nor anyone in your household ever purchased this tool. 

• 3 months later...

I don't know if it's ever been show on TCM, but at the height of the Depression in 1933 Warners made a short film for General Electric called Just Around The Corner. Bette Davis and Dick Powell are a married couple who learn about the value of GE appliances along with his boss, Warren William (who gets top billing). Joan Blondell and Preston Foster also appear.

This film is unusual because most advertising films were made in NY, so it's not often you see one with Hollywood stars.

I ran my print at CineFest a few years ago.  Here's an updated transfer of the print I uploaded to youtube:

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings