Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Strangers With Whom We Grew Up

Palmerin

In the thread about movies dedicated to sibling love several of you admitted that you were estranged from the strangers with whom you grew up. That saddens me, even though I know that happens often; nevertheless I would like to pursue the fact that several of you got interested in movies thanks to your siblings. My brother and I were very close, and regularly went to the movies together; once he got married he pretty much lost interest in moviegoing, and now THE WALKING DEAD is the only show he follows regularly. My sister was even less interested in film, and nowadays only watches THE GOOD WIFE. It honestly surprises me that I'm the older sibling of two idem who are basically oblivious to the existence of the Seventh Art.

What about you people? Do you have siblings more interesting than mine?

Not as far as pertaining to MY interest in movies, both contemporary AND "classic".

But my late older brother made me envious when we were younger, as he was older and allowed to go see movies by himself before I was allowed to, and I remember him being dropped off at the Park Theater (here in Lincoln Park) to see LI'L ABNER.  Then one night sometime later, he came home from the show with a program from his viewing of BEN HUR. I would POUR over that program. By the time I got to SEE that movie, I was already familiar with almost every scene in it.

And we both would pass rainy days and too cold winter afternoons watching the old movies on "Bill Kennedy Presents" coming out of Windsor Ont.

In spite of his otherwise jenky life, I always admired one fact.....

We also grew up, like a lot of "boomers" planked in front of the tube.  But him being older and MUCH bigger, (he reached six feet in height and WELL over 200lbs by age ten) I also had no choice but to sit through his favorite TV show "Cannonball", a show about the adventures of a couple of truck drivers.  He had a strong childhood obsession of becoming a truck driver.  He'd draw well executed pictures of 18 wheelers, and even put together expertly a plastic model of a BEKINS truck.  And eventually, after a hitch in the Navy, and floating from a GM job, to various other nowhere occupations, and in spite of a shaky driving record, DID become a truck driver, at first doing runs for an independant trucker who got too old and sick to keep it up (and without a proper license), and after being able to obtain the license, eventually became an instructor.

I don't know anyone else who in childhood desired to do something specific for a living when they grew up who actually ACHIEVED it.

My kid sister, on the other hand, has no real interest in movies other than what she can go and see at the show when it's new, or outside of what she can catch on HBO and Showtime.The oldest movie she can remember is WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY.

Sepiatone

HA! When I read the title of this thread, I thought it was about the "kinship" we feel with movie stars we've seen our entire lives. Don't we feel like we "know" Judy Garland? Most of us first experienced her as kids as Dorothy, then we see in her in movies getting older as we do, then we see her in an "adult" film when we're adults too.

Judy Garland as well as many movie stars are more familiar to me than my second cousins.

Sorry to de-rail there....

My older brother (the middle child) took me to my first movie in a theater- HELP! with a Bugs Bunny cartoon. We sat in the theater and watched it all day over & over.

My interest in classic movies began when discovering senior citizen's Tuesdays at the Eastman House in high school. Yeas, I skipped school to attend.

The brother discovered classic film on his own and we recommend titles to each other all the time. We have very different tastes, though. It's fun discovering our "crossovers" when we get together every year. We gather disks & watch them together.

He was really happy I recorded A NEW LEAF when it aired on TCM because he remembered liking it when he saw it in the theater. I had completely forgotten about it (besides, was too young to fully appreciate it as a kid) We all watched it together and had a ball laughing over Elaine May & Walter Matthau's portrayals.

In the thread about movies dedicated to sibling love several of you admitted that you were estranged from the strangers with whom you grew up. That saddens me, even though I know that happens often; nevertheless I would like to pursue the fact that several of you got interested in movies thanks to your siblings. My brother and I were very close, and regularly went to the movies together; once he got married he pretty much lost interest in moviegoing, and now THE WALKING DEAD is the only show he follows regularly. My sister was even less interested in film, and nowadays only watches THE GOOD WIFE. It honestly surprises me that I'm the older sibling of two idem who are basically oblivious to the existence of the Seventh Art.

This is a very interesting question, similar to one that I was going to post and riff off Miss Wonderly's recent post, Palmerin.

I had brothers who were older than I, but being very nice brothers they would allow me to tag along when they went to see movies with their male friends, which explains why I enjoy cheesy science fiction films, horror tales and all other things that neighborhood boys would have loved. I tend to now go for the lowbrow or highbrow films most, since they seem the most creative and for which I received an appreciation after reading the book "The Tastemakers" while in college. The boys I hung out with who were all older, did not go for highbrow stuff but all male oriented type things that were popular at the time, but viewed it all with a jaundiced and humorous eye, a trait which I was lucky to assimilate. They also were big western fans but I don't see too much about that being discussed in the general section here.

My brother moved far away with his wife and thus it was about 4 years before I went to visit them.   Well I get to their house and they have a dog.   The dog looked just like Asta \ Skippy the dog in The Thin Man,  The Awful Truth and many other movies. 

I made a comment like 'oh,  that is Asta,  but maybe you don't know what I'm talking about,,,'.   Well they did because they purchased the dog after seeing The Awful Truth.     So we discovered we were both into 'old' (studio-era) movies.    Now they are only so-so fans compared to me but still it was nice to find out we had something in common (since as kids we didn't have much in common).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings