Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mystery Science Theater 3000

CaveGirl

Despite the fact that I might get banned or suspended for my hard line on this very important topic, I shall say with much disrespect that I thoroughly hate, detest, despise and abhor this show.

Now I say this as a big fan of movies, and especially B-movies which were meant to be taken seriously, but turned out to be shall we say, a bit more amusing than they should be.

If one is not a serious fan of such films, than you perhaps love and adore MST3000, because you like your laughs pointed out to you being that you don't even care who John Agar is, or if Ed Wood likes to wear pink angora sweaters.

But if you are a devoted movie fan of films that might be in the "Psychotronic Encyclopedia" then I will hope that you, like moi, like to find your own humor in such oddities on celluloid.

I don't need some lame-o host who thinks he is hilarious, to talk over all the unintentionally amusing lines in these flicks and replace such magnificent malapropisms with inane asides.

Plus I hate the little roboty creatures who accompany that cretin who thinks he is so darn funny...but isn't.

He reminds me of drunks who put on lampshades at parties and think they are Don Rickles.

Okay, excoriate me for my strong opinion if you like or whatever.

I shall be watching "Zontar the Thing from Venus" and laughing without having someone explain things to me, as if I have no common sense myself on what is funny on film.

Bah humbug!

Lol...I know where you're coming from, CaveGirl. I felt the same way about the show for a long time. I felt it was a show for people who had no sense of humor themselves, but needed to be spoon fed the jokes. I could watch a cheesy and/or bad film myself or with friends and make my/our own jokes, often funnier (to us anyway) than what was on MST3K. It also took me quite a while to warm to the individual characters. But I did eventually learn to lighten up and enjoy the show. I always preferred to see the movies "uncut" first, so I could make my own opinion about it, before seeing it "MySTied" as I and some friends used to call it. Another problem I had with the show for a while was that not every movie deserved the ridicule that it received. When they made the ill-advised movie, and used This Island Earth as the mocked film, they came into some flack for using a movie that a lot of people like quite a bit. I still laughed, but I don't have any "sacred cows", be they cinematic or not, and can laugh at things I also enjoy regardless. So my dislike of the show faded over time, and there are quite a few I've laughed at. But I still prefer to see a bad movie on its own for the first time.

• Like 3

Lol...I know where you're coming from, CaveGirl. I felt the same way about the show for a long time. I felt it was a show for people who had no sense of humor themselves, but needed to be spoon fed the jokes. I could watch a cheesy and/or bad film myself or with friends and make my/our own jokes, often funnier (to us anyway) than what was on MST3K. It also took me quite a while to warm to the individual characters. But I did eventually learn to lighten up and enjoy the show. I always preferred to see the movies "uncut" first, so I could make my own opinion about it, before seeing it "MySTied" as I and some friends used to call it. Another problem I had with the show for a while was that not every movie deserved the ridicule that it received. When they made the ill-advised movie, and used This Island Earth as the mocked film, they came into some flack for using a movie that a lot of people like quite a bit. I still laughed, but I don't have any "sacred cows", be they cinematic or not, and can laugh at things I also enjoy regardless. So my dislike of the show faded over time, and there are quite a few I've laughed at. But I still prefer to see a bad movie on its own for the first time.

Right on, Lawrence!

Now you being such a nicer person than I, may have somewhat "warmed" to the show, but I can hold a grudge for a long time.

Consequently, I will never ever ever be a fan of the show and, by the way I'm sure I would find your off the collar comments much funnier than that bozo and his replicants!

Thanks for a very well expressed opinion.

CaveGirl--I offer qualified disagreements in the case of:

1.  "Hercules and the Moon Men" (1964)--In this case, MST3K had upgraded the print, which was unwatchable on its own (YouTube had three other prints, All badly deteriorated in terms of picture, sound, or both).  MST3K's print was the only watchable print (I'm talking in terms of picture and color and sound).  Give them credit for making something watchable.

2.  "The Devil Doll" (1964)--YouTube blocked this film from viewing on account of copyright.  MST3K's version is Not blocked.  I don't know what the deal is, but if my only option to see a film is through MST3K, I'll do so.

3. Picture quality--applies to multiple films--"Hercules and the Moon Men" is just the most extreme example I've run across.

4.  My being unable to take the film without others making ****** remarks to the screen.  Keeps me from throwing things and screaming or destroying the computer.  Applies to multiple films--check my posts in "Most and Least..." thread.  One week I had to use MST3K to get through 3 films--and a 4th even MST3K couldn't make me sit through it (City On Fire, 1979).

If nothing else, give MST3K credit for making some films viewable.  I agree, the hosts portions before, and the interruptions during the films generally stink, but the smart*** remarks they make During the film Can be hysterically funny.  JMO.

• Like 3

Film Lover makes a great point about quality and availability. It's a good thing the MST3K used to do when they released them on disc. They used to have both the TV show version, and an uncut version of the movie on the discs, and they were often the only copies available of those movies. I'm not sure if  they still release them on the Shout Factory sets with the original films intact, but those original discs were nice in their time.

And I have to second the comments on City On Fire. I watched that recently, and it would have been a tough slog without the MST3K gang making it go by a little easier. 

• Like 1

CaveGirl--I offer qualified disagreements in the case of:

1.  "Hercules and the Moon Men" (1964)--In this case, MST3K had upgraded the print, which was unwatchable on its own (YouTube had three other prints, All badly deteriorated in terms of picture, sound, or both).  MST3K's print was the only watchable print (I'm talking in terms of picture and color and sound).  Give them credit for making something watchable.

2.  "The Devil Doll" (1964)--YouTube blocked this film from viewing on account of copyright.  MST3K's version is Not blocked.  I don't know what the deal is, but if my only option to see a film is through MST3K, I'll do so.

3. Picture quality--applies to multiple films--"Hercules and the Moon Men" is just the most extreme example I've run across.

4.  My being unable to take the film without others making ****** remarks to the screen.  Keeps me from throwing things and screaming or destroying the computer.  Applies to multiple films--check my posts in "Most and Least..." thread.  One week I had to use MST3K to get through 3 films--and a 4th even MST3K couldn't make me sit through it (City On Fire, 1979).

If nothing else, give MST3K credit for making some films viewable.  I agree, the hosts portions before, and the interruptions during the films generally stink, but the smart*** remarks they make During the film Can be hysterically funny.  JMO.

Again, though you make brilliant points, as usual, Film Lover I'm afraid my antipathy towards MST3000 remains unabated.

I'm sure you are all much nicer persons than I the curmudgeon, so are forgiving and can see good in many people.

I, on the other hand, even when told Hitler was nice to children and dogs, still am not a fan.

A woman friend of mine, by the way has a son who is friends with the host and she was in shock once when I said I hated the show thinking that it had old films, so of course I would enjoy it. I am deadly serious about my B-grade films being shown without additional comment by so-called comedians.

Sorry I am such a Scrooge but ya know, someone has to be the bad guy occasionally. But I do appreciate your most astute comments in defense of the show.

• Like 1

Film Lover makes a great point about quality and availability. It's a good thing the MST3K used to do when they released them on disc. They used to have both the TV show version, and an uncut version of the movie on the discs, and they were often the only copies available of those movies. I'm not sure if  they still release them on the Shout Factory sets with the original films intact, but those original discs were nice in their time.

And I have to second the comments on City On Fire. I watched that recently, and it would have been a tough slog without the MST3K gang making it go by a little easier. 

All well and good, Lawrence but I'm still for a drawn and quartering and a string that guy up Draconian necktie party. 

The only film I saw like this was This Island Earth quite a few years ago and I remember LMREO. I had nary a thought that there was anything remotely untoward about it (how could I, I was laughing too hard). This might have been prior to my TCM days when I became (relatively late in life) enamored with classic movies. I sense a distance between me and others on this because I feel the urge to see some more of them. Like them or not in principle, they can be very funny. That said, I'm happy that they haven't picked on the biggies, like Casablanca or GWTW. Can you imagine that? That might phase me a little. If it ever happens I'm all for joining the inevitable army that will rise up. I'll bring my sword.

==

• Like 3

Several of the people involved with MST3K went on after the show ended to work on RiffTrax, which makes commentary tracks with their comedic musings on specific movies, TV shows and such. These cover the whole gamut of genre and quality, from big blockbusters to old public domain titles.

I've never bought or heard one though, so I can't comment on their quality. You buy the mp3 file and then play it while watching your DVD/whatever of the program in question.

• Like 1

LawrenceA--Look up "Night of the Lepus" on YouTube.  Rifftrax should be the first result--NOTL is hysterical (and I wish the complete film was available, I'd watch it alone)--Killer Rabbits were a Very Bad idea for a film--I'd love to see NOTL again.

from a county sheriff warning a drive-in movie theater--"There's a herd of Killer Rabbits heading this way!!!" :P

• Like 1

Okay CG, in that case, let's hear it(errr...I guess READ it) then!

Let's hear(errr read) YOUR running commentary on THIS "classic" scene from a movie many consider even making anything the aforementioned angora sweater-wearing director ever made seem like A-pictures....

(...gotta admit I never get tired of watching those shapely nylon-clad legs being devoured by that big ol' carpet-like monster)

;)

• Like 2

LawrenceA--Look up "Night of the Lepus" on YouTube.  Rifftrax should be the first result--NOTL is hysterical (and I wish the complete film was available, I'd watch it alone)--Killer Rabbits were a Very Bad idea for a film--I'd love to see NOTL again.

from a county sheriff warning a drive through movie theater--"There's a herd of Killer Rabbits heading this way!!!" 

I saw Night of the Lepus in the theater! A truly terrifying experience. 

g2qgtlake2g86ougbfkh.gif

• Like 2

Well I am a big fan of MST3K, but I WHOLLY understand why others hate it.

My best friend HATES it with a white hot passion and when he gives me gift cards from our local CD/DVD store I always buy a MST box with it just as a barb!

His contention is similar to the OP; he doesn't like anyone "talking over" a movie, and finds it distracting and rude. He often sits in theaters and hears kids talk through movies in a similar way and feels it's a direct result of MST3K.  My friend also does not like the "jokes" themselves, does NOT find it funny in the least.

I love MST3K. I do know they only "talk" during times of the movie there is no dialogue. Originally, they had to broadcast these bad old PD movies and the "talking" started because of long stretches in movies without action or dialogue as a filler of sorts. 

I enjoy the "filler" because it's a right brain/left brain activity, NOT because I think what they are saying is so funny. Although, I do often find the pop culture references amusing, as well as the "wonder what she's thinking" comments. 

I see and understand both points of view. So, to each his own. 

• Like 2

Geez, CG...Lighten UP! :lol:

Many are the crummy B-flicks they introduced me to OR had me at least, chuckling at

Kinda like Svengoulie, gotta take with the right spirit ;)

ofg-mstk3joelbots.jpg

Nice photo!!!

My favorite episode is The Horrors of Spider Island. Not only were the MST3K guys spoofing the film, my friends and I were as well. Great fun!

• Like 2

Let's hear(errr read) YOUR running commentary on THIS "classic" scene from a movie many consider even making anything the aforementioned angora sweater-wearing director ever made seem like A-pictures....

(...gotta admit I never get tired of watching those shapely nylon-clad legs being devoured by that big ol' carpet-like monster)

;)

What are those numbskulls fighting for, to see who is going to get out the door first???

• Like 1

;)

Excuse me, dear darling Dargo!

I never was implying that I wanted to compete with the asinine...I mean, cute little host of MST3000. Why, banish the thought!

All I'm saying is that I don't need some sillyass helping me to find where the unintended humor is, in an awful B-movie.

And being very hardline as I've said, anyone who talks over lines in any favorite Ed Wood film in my house preventing me from hearing the original line, is banned.

And no amount of caterwauling about the good deeds perpetuated by the show, can change my mind. That would be tantamount to me, like someone trying to convince me of Mussolini's worth, by saying he got the trains to run on time. Of course, I think they've found that wasn't even true anyway.

I bet a bundle if that cretin...I mean, pseudo-comedic commentator on MST3000, talked over any lines of Groucho's that you would be the first one on the firing squad!

• Like 1

Geez, CG...Lighten UP! :lol:

Many are the crummy B-flicks they introduced me to OR had me at least, chuckling at

Kinda like Svengoulie, gotta take with the right spirit ;)

ofg-mstk3joelbots.jpg

Geez, Mr. 6666, have a heart!

Did you have to go and put up that giant, digitally fine-tuned picture of that creepy little twerp, and here I just finished my breakfast, being that I like to sleep late and whose business is that anyway.

Now I feel totally dyspeptic and out of sorts.

Yikes, that chocolate donut seems to be coming back up now. Back in a bit!

• Like 1

Nice photo!!!

My favorite episode is The Horrors of Spider Island. Not only were the MST3K guys spoofing the film, my friends and I were as well. Great fun!

I'm sorry, Janet but being that I own the dvd of "Horrors of Spider Island" I must say it is anathema to talk over all the great scenes of dramatic intent that end usually in the girls removing major amounts of clothing.

I'm sure if the MST crew got in front of the screen blocking such scenes of disrobing, that men here like Dargo Coburn, would be having a hissy fit. 

These films need no more additional dialogue or excising of scenes and it is like colorizing "Citizen Kane".

Otherwise, I always love your posts!

• Like 1

Just to put in my two cents' worth ( and two cents is actually worth less than nothing now, at least in Canada), I have never actually seen a complete installment of Mystery Science Theatre 3000. I do like campy, bad (as in fun bad) old movies, but my initial reaction to the MST idea is that the films are funny enough without someone drawing attention to how funny-bad they are.

However, I always think it's a good idea to withhold judgment one way or the other until one is at least a bit familiar with the subject under discussion. Maybe I should go to youtube right now and check MST 3000 out.

Just to put in my two cents' worth ( and two cents is actually worth less than nothing now, at least in Canada), I have never actually seen a complete installments of Mystery Science Theatre 3000. I do like campy, bad (as in fun bad) old movies, but my initial reaction to the MST ideas is that the films are funny enough without someone drawing attention to how funny-bad they are.

However, I always think it's a good idea to withhold judgment one way or the other until one is at least a bit familiar with the subject under discussion. Maybe I should go to youtube right now and check MST 3000 out.

You are very broadminded, Miss Wonderly to your credit.

So are many of the men here "broadminded", but with the emphasis on the first syllable more probably.

Thanks for your response!

• Like 1

Oh, don't be so TIGHT AZZED about it.  I thought it was OK, but I never got around to seeing it until the original "human" character left and was replaced.

One thing that made me shake my head about it was....

Me and a couple of buddies would get KICKED OUT of some Saturday matinees for doing basically the same thing!  Never KNEW we could make money doing that sort of thing on TV!

DANG!

Sepiatone

Oh, don't be so TIGHT AZZED about it.  I thought it was OK, but I never got around to seeing it until the original "human" character left and was replaced.

One thing that made me shake my head about it was....

Me and a couple of buddies would get KICKED OUT of some Saturday matinees for doing basically the same thing!  Never KNEW we could make money doing that sort of thing on TV!

DANG!

Sepiatone

I would so much rather hear the comments of you and your buddies about any film, than the MST crew, Sepia!

Have you thought of auditioning your group for such a show?

P.S. I must protest though that you clean up your language here since the capitalized "ZZ"s are rather offensive to my delicate sensibilities and that of the other frails here. Get out the Palmolive and take your punishment like a man.

I would so much rather hear the comments of you and your buddies about any film, than the MST crew, Sepia!

Have you thought of auditioning your group for such a show?

P.S. I must protest though that you clean up your language here since the capitalized "ZZ"s are rather offensive to my delicate sensibilities and that of the other frails here. Get out the Palmolive and take your punishment like a man.

We had some good ones, At least WE thought so.

Unfortunately, that was over 50 years ago, and one of them didn't make it out of Viet Nam, and the other lives in Georgia somewhere.

Now, I just heckle movies from the comfort of my easy chair, and not always bad '50's Sci-fi.

The "z's" were used in an EFFORT to "clean it up".  Let's just for peacekeeping replace it with UPTIGHT.  :)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I'm sorry, Janet but being that I own the dvd of "Horrors of Spider Island" I must say it is anathema to talk over all the great scenes of dramatic intent that end usually in the girls removing major amounts of clothing.

I'm sure if the MST crew got in front of the screen blocking such scenes of disrobing, that men here like Dargo Coburn, would be having a hissy fit. 

These films need no more additional dialogue or excising of scenes and it is like colorizing "Citizen Kane".

Otherwise, I always love your posts!

Oh, I have the DVD too. That movie is a riot. I was very happy to find the MST3K version on You Tube this afternoon. I was only able to watch twenty minutes of it before going to work, but I laughed my azz off. To each his own, girlie.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings