Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unfilmed Books, Cinematic Visions and Sans Fin

CaveGirl

In spite of the many books which have been turned into films, there are always so many more that would prove worthy.

In fact, it is my belief that some writers have an innate ability to conjure up just with words alone, a complete cinematic picture that hence would make the cinematographer's task an easy one.

I was reminded of this ability the other day, while reading a post from Sans Fin here in the thread about "Lists". The writing of Sans Fin in that post was so beautifully worded and so illustrative that I could actually see the whole scene unfolding before my eyes as if it had been filmed, and in color too. It was a perfect depiction of an time and place, and worthy of filming. If you know a book that you think is similarly blessed with such fine evocations of the world, please share it!

If you missed it, this is what Sans Fin wrote:

photo-thumb-31314.jpg?_r=1398383904

• Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 02:46 PM

"Spend the waning hours of a crisp fall day gathering decades-old driftwood and piling it for bonfire on the beach. Row out to a buoy and haul up the crab pot and leave bottle of vodka inside as exchange. Sit under perfectly clear sky with tub of ice-cold sour cream and bag of fresh dill. Poke end of crab leg into fire to toast it. Dip it in sour cream. Sprinkle dill. Nibble. Break off a bit more of the shell. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat as night passes by.

In no language can I articulate why that it as near to heaven as I am likely to ever be."

• Like 2

Yes, SansFin is one of the best writers on this board. I was going to tell her what a lovely descriptive piece that was, but then we all know what happened.

Well, Miss Wonderly, the Titanic was a good ship too, but it went down also!

Better to be the Titanic and go down than the Good Ship Lollipop and stay afloat in a sea of uniformity and mediocrity.

• Like 1

So, what's your intention here, CG?  Asking which books might make good movies(considering it's done right)?

I think we did that already.

But if it is, I'll repeat my thoughts---

WINTERDANCE by Gary Paulsen

KIN FLICKS by Lisa Alther

THE DYNASTY by Edward Elegant

And I like Sans' writing too.

Sepiatone

So, what's your intention here, CG?  Asking which books might make good movies(considering it's done right)?

I think we did that already.

But if it is, I'll repeat my thoughts---

WINTERDANCE by Gary Paulsen

KIN FLICKS by Lisa Alther

THE DYNASTY by Edward Elegant

And I like Sans' writing too.

Sepiatone

Actually my intention here was to see if anyone had read "Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" by Douglas Hofstadter, but your books will suffice.

Thanks, Sepia!

Thanks for reposting SansFin's beautiful words from the other thread, CaveGirl.

For all that SansFin`s first language is not English, I`ve never read anything more eloquent on this site than what she writes. 

I`m not able to think in any other language but English.  I`ve studied French, read French, sing in a variety of languages.

But I am only able to think in my first language.

If you missed it, this is what Sans Fin wrote:

I thank you very much for your kind words. It gasts my flabber that you would consider one of my posts worthy to have further attention drawn to it!. 

I know very much my limitations re: writing in English. I know that my posts often seem to have been written by backwards third-grader. I believe that majority of my writing in posts is technically correct as I did not develop lazy habits which many acquire in their native language but to be: technically correct is often opposite of being interesting to read.

I believe it is only fair that it is known that the paragraph which you cited is a cheat. I did not create it for that post and the sentence structures are not mine:

My insignificant one-quarter is an author and he pushes me to write more than is strictly necessary in daily life in hopes that I will improve. I have for that reason been writing of certain incidents in my life. I wrote that paragraph in the section concerning a time when I was beset by troubles on several fronts. I copied it into my post from there.

I felt that scene did need to be more evocative than my normal writing and so I took one of my favorite passages from my husband's writing and adapted it by word substitution. His paragraph was of a dragon hatchling exploring its nest. My version is as faithful to his sentence structures as word choice allows. 

I would like to see: Practical Demonkeeping by Christopher Moore, Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor and: The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath adapted into movies. 

• Like 3

I thank you very much for your kind words. It gasts my flabber that you would consider one of my posts worthy to have further attention drawn to it!. 

I know very much my limitations re: writing in English. I know that my posts often seem to have been written by backwards third-grader. I believe that majority of my writing in posts is technically correct as I did not develop lazy habits which many acquire in their native language but to be: technically correct is often opposite of being interesting to read.

I believe it is only fair that it is known that the paragraph which you cited is a cheat. I did not create it for that post and the sentence structures are not mine:

My insignificant one-quarter is an author and he pushes me to write more than is strictly necessary in daily life in hopes that I will improve. I have for that reason been writing of certain incidents in my life. I wrote that paragraph in the section concerning a time when I was beset by troubles on several fronts. I copied it into my post from there.

I felt that scene did need to be more evocative than my normal writing and so I took one of my favorite passages from my husband's writing and adapted it by word substitution. His paragraph was of a dragon hatchling exploring its nest. My version is as faithful to his sentence structures as word choice allows. 

I would like to see: Practical Demonkeeping by Christopher Moore, Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor and: The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath adapted into movies. 

SansFin:

You want to read a third grade post in French?  French is the second national Language of Canada and therefore I should know it well.

Try reading something I write in French.

I studied French in school.

I can read French.

I can sing in French.

I can say things in French correctly.

BUT:

I cannot *think* in French.

And therefore, I could never go on a French language website of any kind and expect to be able to carry on a conversation in French and understand the dialectical references. 

I love to read your writing here, SansFin.

I know you are not French, because you have told me privately, though your name here is French.

I am happy and proud to call you my friend.

Flora

• Like 2

Well, Miss Wonderly, the Titanic was a good ship too, but it went down also!

I know I truly should not post this but your comment reminded me so strongly of it that I believe that posting it is the only method to purge it from my brain:

Two humpback whales were minding their own business when a whaling ship came past.

"We should teach them a lesson," said one whale. "I am sure that if we swam as fast as we can and ram it together then we could put a hole in its side. Then we could kill the murdering sailors after they abandon the ship."

The other whale considered it for a while and then said: "I suppose we should make the ship go down but I will not swallow the seamen!"

• Like 1

Yes, SansFin is one of the best writers on this board. I was going to tell her what a lovely descriptive piece that was, but then we all know what happened.

I thank you for your kind words.

I am sorry to say that I do not know what happened to your thread. It was fine when I saw it and then it was locked and with only a very few posts which I had not seen. I suspect: Moderator deleted all posts which made the thread inappropriate.

I believe it had reached: agree-to-disagree stage and so was destined to slowly drop off the front page. It is unfortunate if it became stage for people who make personal attacks.

• Like 1

SansFin said: My insignificant one-quarter is an author 

Can you please explain that?

(you can't be referring to Capuchin....he's an entire man!)

I do refer to him. It often seems to me that to be: 'an entire man' is not high praise.

I am reminded of:

A Woman's Prayer

I pray for:
Wisdom to understand my man.
Love to forgive him and;
Patience for his moods.
Because if I pray for Strength
I'll just beat him to death.
  • Like 4

I hesitate to speak of this work which I believe would make a wonderful movie. I do so only because this thread seems to being nearly moribund and so I am not robbing attention from other posters. 

The hesitation is because the work is a type of book but is not traditional novel. It is also that title and genre will make many people shun the work because their preconception is that it will hold little of interest for them.

The work is: Gansuringa Garu by: Yu Aida.

I will now proceed to alienate most who are reading this by stating that it is a: manga. This is a type of: Japanese graphic novel. Most anime is based on: mangas.

The portion which I believe would make wonderful movie is: Chapter Two which is titled: Love Thy Neighbor. The monologue opening and closing are so very eloquent that they evoke deep sense of understanding, pity and hope. 

This is the story of a girl who was born in a hospital and never left it because of health matters. She was a kind, intelligent and curious child growing up in a hospital bed. Then she was chosen for government medical research project. Her health problems were all solved but she must live with other girls like her because process is experimental, expensive and dangerous and so must be kept secret until problems are solved. 

She speaks in very moving terms of the wonder of having a body which works.

A television series was made of the work. This Chapter became: Episode Three and is titled: Ragazzo.

I feel the series captured excellently the spirit of the work. I love in particular the opening because it demonstrates so very well the type of life these girls must live. The opening can be seen at:

I hope that all will note with special interest first sixteen seconds of this clip. It shows perfectly how the girl is a shadowy reflection of herself. 

I am sure that nearly all who might read this are now completely: turned off because it is: Japanese anime and they have seen the title in: English and know it could not possibly be to their taste and so I will now shut up and fade back into woodwork.

• Like 3

Actually my intention here was to see if anyone had read "Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" by Douglas Hofstadter, but your books will suffice.

Thanks, Sepia!

Hmmmm....now ya see CG, I would've sworn your TRUE  intention was to see if you could get Sans to reveal a few more ideas for some really tasty dipping sauces for cracked crab other than that "dill and sour cream" one she talked about in that "List" thread!!!

(...guess that just goes to show how my powers of deduction have so declined in recent years, huh!)

;)

I hesitate to speak of this work which I believe would make a wonderful movie. I do so only because this thread seems to being nearly moribund and so I am not robbing attention from other posters. 

The hesitation is because the work is a type of book but is not traditional novel. It is also that title and genre will make many people shun the work because their preconception is that it will hold little of interest for them.

The work is: Gansuringa Garu by: Yu Aida.

I will now proceed to alienate most who are reading this by stating that it is a: manga. This is a type of: Japanese graphic novel. Most anime is based on: mangas.

The portion which I believe would make wonderful movie is: Chapter Two which is titled: Love Thy Neighbor. The monologue opening and closing are so very eloquent that they evoke deep sense of understanding, pity and hope. 

This is the story of a girl who was born in a hospital and never left it because of health matters. She was a kind, intelligent and curious child growing up in a hospital bed. Then she was chosen for government medical research project. Her health problems were all solved but she must live with other girls like her because process is experimental, expensive and dangerous and so must be kept secret until problems are solved. 

She speaks in very moving terms of the wonder of having a body which works.

A television series was made of the work. This Chapter became: Episode Three and is titled: Ragazzo.

I feel the series captured excellently the spirit of the work. I love in particular the opening because it demonstrates so very well the type of life these girls must live. The opening can be seen at:

I hope that all will note with special interest first sixteen seconds of this clip. It shows perfectly how the girl is a shadowy reflection of herself. 

I am sure that nearly all who might read this are now completely: turned off because it is: Japanese anime and they have seen the title in: English and know it could not possibly be to their taste and so I will now shut up and fade back into woodwork.

No, Sans Fin  hope you will never shut up and fade back into the woodwork. I love to read your posts.  People who don't want to read your posts do not have to, anymore than people who do not want to read my posts have to read mine.

I love anime work.  I will love to see the clip you shared with us on youtube.

I love Japanese movies.

I love animated movies.

Hmmmm....now ya see CG, I would've sworn your TRUE  intention was to see if you could get Sans to reveal a few more ideas for some really tasty dipping sauces for cracked crab other than that "dill and sour cream" one she talked about in that "List" thread!!!

(...guess that just goes to show how my powers of deduction have so declined in recent years, huh!)

I am very sorry to have to inform you that I feel that much more than your powers of deduction are fading. It is obvious that your taste is degenerated significantly also if you believe there could be dipping sauce which could be adequate substitute for: ice-cold sour cream and: freshly-milled dill.

• Like 1

thanks for sharing this clip of the anime you think would make a great film, SansFin.

I just saw it.

I do hope that you enjoyed it. I love the way they captured the spirit of the plight of the girls. The song has become one of my favorites.

The entire episode: Ragazzo can be watched at:

I would love very much for this to be made into full-length, live-action movie. I understand casting would be extremely difficult because it requires an active young girl with charmingly innocent and simple voice.

• Like 1

Here is the youtube clip where you can find the origin of SansFin's avatar:

The song Moses Supposes from Singin' in the Rain has been animated.

I thank you for posting that as I wish it shared widely but I have posted it to the point of boring people.

I love it very dearly. I feel it represents sublime innocence. 

• Like 2

I am very sorry to have to inform you that I feel that much more than your powers of deduction are fading. It is obvious that your taste is degenerated significantly also if you believe there could be dipping sauce which could be adequate substitute for: ice-cold sour cream and: freshly-milled dill.

Two words here, Sans....Chipotle sauce.

Yep, just the other day at this one restaurant/bar I frequent after tennis, they served me the crab cakes I ordered for lunch with a side of THAT sauce, and MMMMMMmmmm, now THAT went REAL well with those suckers!

(...but of course, if ya just wanna stick with your ol' tried and true here, nobody forcin' ya to try it, ya know)

;)

• Like 1

Well Sans Fin, I'll further bore and alienate people by mentioning a few books and stories that I would like to see filmed:

The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester: Psychic cops versus a very determined would-be murderer. Depending on the direction, it could be funny, dark, bizarre, or all three.

The Stars, My Destination by Alfred Bester: A cosmic version of The Count of Monte Cristo featuring face tattoos and the power to alter reality. The ending would put the finale of 2001 to shame.

A Case of Conscience by James A. Blish: An emissary of the church is sent to an alien world to help draft a report on the inhabitants. What he finds shakes him to the core, and may change all of mankind. This would be a decidedly controversial film if made to follow the book exactly, but it wouldn't be easily forgotten.

"Taklamakan" by Bruce Sterling: Two highly skilled agents are sent to the titular desert in China to investigate a secret facility meant to simulate long-term space travel. They find a chamber of horrors instead, in what could be a well-constructed action thriller in the right hands.

Swan Song by Robert McCammon: A post-nuke, multi-character epic that blends sci-fi, horror and strong characterizations with an unforgettable end result. A better version of Stephen King's The Stand.

Two words here, Sans....Chipotle sauce.

Yep, just the other day at this one restaurant/bar I frequent after tennis, they served me the crab cakes I ordered for lunch with a side of THAT sauce, and MMMMMMmmmm, now THAT went REAL well with those suckers!

(...but of course, if ya just wanna stick with your ol' tried and true here, nobody forcin' ya to try it, ya know)

;)

I've never been able to really love Chipotle sauce, Dargo/Coburn.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings