Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3:41 PM thursday

NipkowDisc

the responsiveness of this website is a disgrace!

too much vino and less maintenance? :angry:

Are you saying the website is imbibing or the patrons of it, Nip?

I know that I have been drinking a lot less than usual for a weekday personally.

How many **** of the vanilla have you had while posting?

**** = n-i-p-s

There was quite a bit of lag, and even a site crash, around the time Nipper mentions. Somebody spilled their soda.

Okay.

Have I told you about the time I was on a yahoogroups website and we were talking about the meaning of the words in Moon River?

What is meant by "Huckleberry Friend" exactly?

Me being silly wrote "well, I don't think it is a reference to Huckleberry Hound."

To which I got a response:

"You owe me one keyboard! I laughed so hard when I read your comment that I spilled coffee all over it and it is ruined!"

• Like 2

Are you saying the website is imbibing or the patrons of it, Nip?

I know that I have been drinking a lot less than usual for a weekday personally.

How many **** of the vanilla have you had while posting?

**** = n-i-p-s

Apparently, the TCM Wine Club is having some unforeseen drawbacks.

• Like 3

Okay.

Have I told you about the time I was on a yahoogroups website and we were talking about the meaning of the words in Moon River?

What is meant by "Huckleberry Friend" exactly?

Me being silly wrote "well, I don't think it is a reference to Huckleberry Hound."

To which I got a response:

"You owe me one keyboard! I laughed so hard when I read your comment that I spilled coffee all over it and it is ruined!"

I first heard that SONG long before ever seeing the movie it came from, and as a kid wondered if it had something to do with Huckleberry FINN!  :o

I'm still not real clear on the meaning of it in terms of the song's lyric, the best I can find is in that case it would refer to a very good friend, or a friend who's always the right person at your side at the right time.

And that real huckleberries are closely related to blueberries, and even have a similar look.  OR it could just BE another name for blueberries.

However, it seems lyricist JOHNNY MERCER was using 19th century lexicon.

And incidentally, I used to work with a guy whose name was Huckleberry.  Some of us, in fun would call him "Huckleberry Hound", but Huckleberry was his last name.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I first heard that SONG long before ever seeing the movie it came from, and as a kid wondered if it had something to do with Huckleberry FINN!  :o

I'm still not real clear on the meaning of it in terms of the song's lyric, the best I can find is in that case it would refer to a very good friend, or a friend who's always the right person at your side at the right time.

And that real huckleberries are closely related to blueberries, and even have a similar look.  OR it could just BE another name for blueberries.

And incidentally, I used to work with a guy whose name was Huckleberry.  Some of us, in fun would call him "Huckleberry Hound", but Huckleberry was his last name.

Sepiatone

Not to change the subject, but can you do the  hucklebuck?

Sepiatone

Maybe I'm daft or just floating on a raft, but I figured the "Huckleberry friend" reference was due to the song beginning about "two drifters out to see the world" which could be similar to Tom's and Huck's adventures together in the Twain classic. So after stating that, then saying someone is one's "Huckleberry friend" perhaps means something like one is the leader like Tom and one the follower like Huck and never the Twain shall meet. Just kidding, but I had to use the twain reference somewhere, now didn't I?

Sorry that there are no painting fences references or anything about a girl named Becky Sharp or caves either.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm daft or just floating on a raft, but I figured the "Huckleberry friend" reference was due to the song beginning about "two drifters out to see the world" which could be similar to Tom's and Huck's adventures together in the Twain classic. So after stating that, then saying someone is one's "Huckleberry friend" perhaps means something like one is the leader like Tom and one the follower like Huck and never the Twain shall meet. Just kidding, but I had to use the twain reference somewhere, now didn't I?

Sorry that there are no painting fences references or anything about a girl named Becky Sharp or caves either.

No, you`re not daft.

I was just being silly when I made that post all those years ago on yahoogroups about Huckleberry Hound and I brought it up because Lawrence mentioned spilling soda as the cause of the shutdown of The TCM website yesterday and my joke to that woman on that other site made her laugh and spill coffee all over her keyboard and she wanted  me to pay for a replacement.

I noticed while I watching Return of the Badmen earlier today on TCM that there were some reception problems.  I don`t know if that originated on TCM`s end or mine.

But can YOU do the Wahtusi?

I am sure there are some people here who are proficient at doing the Jerk.

I see you more as a Mashed Potato Man, Down with lots of butter!

In Philly, everyone could stomp. The Dovells, from Philly, were the gurus. ("Bristol Stomp")

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings