Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

August Schedule is online

CrisR

Pretty much the same old. A few interesting days (Anne Baxter and Janet Gaynor, which has a few rarely shown silents, but STILL no 7th Heaven! ) A couple of days that would've been good if they werent showing the same old films (Charles Boyer, Jean Simmons). Some stand bys that I'll watch anyway (Bette Davis, Eddie G.) Constance Cummings is an interesting choice....

• Like 2

Fay Wray on August 4!!!!!

They have two films which are incredibly hard to find good copies of... von Stroheim's The Wedding March (1928) and von Sternberg's Thunderbolt (1929).  There is a fuzzy copy of The Wedding March on youtube and the only copy I've ever seen of Thunderbolt has hard French subtitles on it.

Too bad they could not get a hold of one of Fay's best films, The Affairs of Cellini (1934).

• Like 3

Pretty much the same old. A few interesting days (Anne Baxter and Janet Gaynor, which has a few rarely shown silents, but STILL no 7th Heaven! ) A couple of days that would've been good if they werent showing the same old films (Charles Boyer, Jean Simmons). Some stand bys that I'll watch anyway (Bette Davis, Eddie G.) Constance Cummings is an interesting choice....

Janet Gaynor's day has a decent lineup, with about half being the usual suspects, and the rest being silents and early talkies from (not yet 20th Century) Fox.

Anne Baxter's however, is.more disappointing. Most of the films.are shown rather frequently, including the three Fox titles (not sure about SWAMP WATER). So many others they could have gotten, like her early appearance in THE GREAT PROFILE (1940), with one of John Barrynore's very last appearances. Or THE PIED PIPER (1942), a.wartime.drama set in Occupied France, also featuring Monty Wooley and Roddy McDowell. Or another wartime dram, set at home, the poetic EVE OF SAINT MARK (1944). Or on loan in GUEST IN THE HOUSE (1944), an early scheming role of hers. Or THE WALLS OFJERICHO (1948), where she tangles with Linda Darnell for the love of Cornel Wilde. Or YELLOW SKY (1948), in the desert with her prospecting grandfather, up against a gang of outlaws headed by Gregory Peck and Richard Widmark. Or YOU'RE MY EVERYTHING (1949), a colorful musical with Dan Dailey, where she plays a Hollywood.star.

Any one or more of these films would have made this day that much more special. I guess Baxter will have to get a whole.month tribute to do her justice.

• Like 1

I don't like SUTS month usually.

But this year - I hate it.

Only one movie to be enthused about much - 'Wild River' (1960). My favorite Monty Clift movie.

Also, I'm glad for another chance to be able to get 'The Whales of August' - I missed it last time.

Other than that - phhhttt.

I don't like SUTS month usually.

But this year - I hate it.

Only one movie to be enthused about much - 'Wild River' (1960). My favorite Monty Clift movie.

Also, I'm glad for another chance to be able to get 'The Whales of August' - I missed it last time.

Other than that - phhhttt.

I have to agree with you about SUTS month.

Even when the star shown is one of my favourites and there are some movies I have not seen and have been wanting to catch, I don't like 24 hours of one star day after day.

Oh well, sometimes I just use the identity of the star to know what day of the week it is...

There are scattered days/films that look especially interesting:

On Karl Malden's day, Dario Argento's "Cat o' Nine Tails' (1971) is being shown.

Fay Wray's day I will watch everything I haven't seen--probably try to see everything, LOL.

Ralph Richardson's "The Wrong Box" (1966) & "Oscar Wilde" (1960).

I'll watch all Cyd Charisse's musicals, and "Party Girl" (1958) is a late noir where she and Robert Taylor are very good.

Brigitte Bardot's day, I hope they keep the film "Spirits of the Dead" (1969) on the schedule, instead of yanking it for something else.  If they DO substitute another film, I hope it's "Shalako" (1968)--a western starring BB & Sean Connery.

Boris Karloff day, I'll try to see everything I haven't yet seen.

On Jean Simmons' day, two very good noirs are being shown--"Angel Face" (1953), & "So Long at the Fair" (1950).

Humphrey Bogart and Bette Davis I'll watch over again.

• Like 2

Hey! Not a total wash-out. I'm thrilled about Ralph Richardson day, particularly for the showing (premiere?) of Home at Seven (1952), an amnesiac murder mystery which is the only film RR ever directed. I've requested this one before.

I'm certainly going to be getting my early musicals fix! Janet Gaynor day for Sunnyside Up (1929), and Constance Cummings day for Broadway Thru a Keyhole (1934), a Hollywood curio for it's cast and backstory. Both of these days are loaded, but these two films are also ones I've asked for. Fay Wray day will also be very busy.

Good stuff so far as the early thirties go, but the foreign film selections let me down big time. That's my complaint.

• Like 4

I haven't had a chance to really look at this yet and I'm going to see a movie tonight. But I'm excited about Lucy day on August 2!! Too bad it wasn't on a weekend day. I haven't seen which films are scheduled, but I imagine there will be a couple films that I haven't seen.

Well it's nice that they have Time Bandits and it's even on my birthday!  Shame that it falls on a Saturday this year.  Can't say I'm pleased that Brigitte Bardot is the token foreign movie star, though because she has a cameo in Masculin Feminin, we get to see that.  Shame they couldn't, or didn't try to, get Stavisky for Charles Boyer.

• Like 1

Oh well, sometimes I just use the identity of the star to know what day of the week it is...

If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Brigitte Bardot: A romantic comedy with Ben M. (Ian McShane) as a classic movie tour guide who takes a group of message boarders on a whirlwind 31-day sightseeing tour of old Hollywood, including one such boarder (Suzanne Pleshette) with whom he wants to have an affair. The $64,000 question? Which one of us is that boarder?

• Like 3

Wow! August 17th is devoted to the films of James Edwards (1918-1970), the African-American actor noted for his non-stereotyped characters in the post-World War II years. Among the scheduled films that day: "Home of the Brave" (1949) and "The Steel Helmet" (1951).

james%2Bedwards%2Bsteel%2Bhelmet%2B1951.

Edwards

• Like 2

August milestones for the 2016 edition of Summer Under the Stars:

Birthdays: Lucille Ball (Aug. 6, 2011); Esther Williams (Aug. 8, 1921); Ruby Keeler (Aug. 25, 1909); Van Johnson (Aug. 25, 1916); Charles Boyer (Aug. 28, 1899). 

Transitions: Fay Wray died on August 8, 2004; Boyer took his life on August 26, 1978.

• Like 1

If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Brigitte Bardot: A romantic comedy with Ben M. (Ian McShane) as a classic movie tour guide who takes a group of message boarders on a whirlwind 31-day sightseeing tour of old Hollywood, including one such boarder (Suzanne Pleshette) with whom he wants to have an affair. The $64,000 question? Which one of us is that boarder?

I'm rather fond of If it's Tuesday, it must be Belgium.

That is the right day of the week tight?

I have not seen If It's Tuesday, This Must be Brigitte Bardot.

I do love Ian McShane movies.

As always with TCM's Summer Under the Stars programming, this year's schedule is a decent mixture of frequently spotlighted superstars and more obscure actors and actresses.

I'm most excited to see Edward G. Robinson -- my favorite movie actor -- spotlighted on August 1, which coincidentally happens to be my birthday. I now know what I'll be doing that night.

It's interesting that Charles Boyer is getting a day. I cannot help but wonder if that was done in response to some theories on these boards a while back that TCM was reluctant to highlight the work of actors who committed suicide. 

• Like 2

I had thought with the budget cuts TCM has made that August would be the same old stars. But there are a few pleasant surprises for me. August 12 has Janet Gaynor with many of her films from Fox studios. Unfortunately I plan to be at Capitolfest that weekend so my 3 recorders will be programmed and ready to go. August 18 has Ruby Keeler and one of her films rarely shown (Go Into Your Dance).

August 22 has Robert Montgomery whose films I always enjoy watching. A special treat will be on August 24 with Constance Cummings . Not only will there be some rarely seen Columbia titles but they'll also be showing "Broadway Thru A Keyhole" (one of the very few films with Russ Columbo who died tragically in 1934) and "Night After Night" which was Mae's West's debut.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings