Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*Sinatra's favorite singer was Tony Bennett! & post your own fav. songs of *"The Chairman?"

spence

Early on *Bing Crosby-(l903-l977) was somewhat of a *Frank Sinatra idol, but yrs later whenever asked & without pause he'd say Tony Bennett-(l926-) was

What are your own fav. numbers by *Francis Albert??? :wub:

To start the ball rolling mine are>

"It Was A Very Good Year" (l965) & my fav. by any artist ever! & at 4:12

"In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning" (at his pinnacle during the post Ava & Capitol Records yrs)

"Summer Wind"-(my fav. upbeat number of his)

"One More for the Road"-(more from those Capitol Years)

& :rolleyes:

0verall album is what the recently gone too soon son of his  Frank, Jr. always dubbed "The Suicide Album" from '58-(again, Capitol in mid Tinsel-Town)

"0nly the Lonely" (l958)

& for the record, I'm fairly certain his own fav. song was: "My Way" or "New York, New York"

He was widely known though to have a disdain for Rock N'Roll

THANK YOU & CAST YOUR VOTES

(TRIVIA: This giant made over 2,000 songs, 1,800 albums, 58 films, 13 Grammys, 3 "Walk-of-Fame Stars" 3 *Oscars-(1 non competitive) cinema career lasted from: 1943-84 & I'd have to look it up as to just how many overall gold records? & much, much, more

& also, for all the nastiness people throw at his legend, he gave a tonnage of $dough$ away & anonymously too

Paying for Bela Lugosi's funeral, bailing out actor Lee J. Cobb, when he was blacklisted from Vegas, financing 1 of his heroes Joe Louis' open heart surgery, but in the midst of it Louis suffered a stroke!

His overall Hero & Idol though was *Bogie-(a nickname *S. Tracy stated by the way) & for those that can see it, it's easy to ditact, he had *Bogart's on screen acting mannerism's too.

I really couldn't pick any "favorites" over many of the other songs in his songbook, but the one you listed do fine.

I might add I liked a version( and not sure when it was recorded) of the Cole Porter tune "I GET A KICK OUT OF YOU"  which incluses the "Some get a kick from cocaine " line that most versions have left out for years.

TONY BENNETT?

Easy to see why, but I do seem to recall either hearing or reading somewhere that Sinatra confessed he didn't know what all the fuss was about HIS "phrasing"  by saying something like, "If I could phrase a song like NAT "KING" COLE, I'd be a happy man!"

Sepiatone

I really couldn't pick any "favorites" over many of the other songs in his songbook, but the one you listed do fine.

I might add I liked a version( and not sure when it was recorded) of the Cole Porter tune "I GET A KICK OUT OF YOU"  which incluses the "Some get a kick from cocaine " line that most versions have left out for years.

TONY BENNETT?

Easy to see why, but I do seem to recall either hearing or reading somewhere that Sinatra confessed he didn't know what all the fuss was about HIS "phrasing"  by saying something like, "If I could phrase a song like NAT "KING" COLE, I'd be a happy man!"

Sepiatone

The Sinatra version of I Get A Kick Out of You has the cocaine line.    This is the longer version that has an opening slow playing,   verse of "My stories much to,,,'  before it kicks into up-tempo swing.      

My all-time favorite Sinatra song was written by Cy Coleman and Carolyn Leigh. The Chairman apparently loved it, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42IWC7TZJdo

24406a5c974ad0ca79980fb3e01244c1.jpg

I have a record called Sinatra's Sinatra-- his favorite songs that he recorded.

So I'll pick some songs from his favorite songs that are also my favorite songs:

I've Got You Under My Skin

Nancy

Young at Heart

Witchcraft

All the Way

Additionally I would add--

Love and Marriage

The Tender Trap

Come Fly with Me

Hey, Jealous Lover

My Way

I always heard Frank preferred these female singers - - Ella Fitzgerald, Eydie Gormé and Barbra Streisand.

And Eydie's husband, Steve Lawrence was his male favorite.

• Like 1

Early on *Bing Crosby-(l903-l977) was somewhat of a *Frank Sinatra idol, but yrs later whenever asked & without pause he'd say Tony Bennett-(l926-) was

What are your own fav. numbers by *Francis Albert??? :wub:

To start the ball rolling mine are>

"It Was A Very Good Year" (l965) & my fav. by any artist ever! & at 4:12

"In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning" (at his pinnacle during the post Ava & Capitol Records yrs)

"Summer Wind"-(my fav. upbeat number of his)

"One More for the Road"-(more from those Capitol Years)

& :rolleyes:

0verall album is what the recently gone too soon son of his Frank, Jr. always dubbed "The Suicide Album" from '58-(again, Capitol in mid Tinsel-Town)

"0nly the Lonely" (l958)

& for the record, I'm fairly certain his own fav. song was: "My Way" or "New York, New York"

He was widely known though to have a disdain for Rock N'Roll

THANK YOU & CAST YOUR VOTES

(TRIVIA: This giant made over 2,000 songs, 1,800 albums, 58 films, 13 Grammys, 3 "Walk-of-Fame Stars" 3 *Oscars-(1 non competitive) cinema career lasted from: 1943-84 & I'd have to look it up as to just how many overall gold records? & much, much, more

& also, for all the nastiness people throw at his legend, he gave a tonnage of $dough$ away & anonymously too

Paying for Bela Lugosi's funeral, bailing out actor Lee J. Cobb, when he was blacklisted from Vegas, financing 1 of his heroes Joe Louis' open heart surgery, but in the midst of it Louis suffered a stroke!

His overall Hero & Idol though was *Bogie-(a nickname *S. Tracy stated by the way) & for those that can see it, it's easy to ditact, he had *Bogart's on screen acting mannerism's too.

Disdain for Rock n Roll maybe - -

I vividly recall watching a TV special when Frank welcomed backed Elvis Presley to the states after his military service in Germany.

The highlight of the special was Frank Sinatra singing Elvis Presley songs and Elvis Presley singing Frank Sinatra songs. Then Nancy Jr came and swept Elvis off his feet or was it vice versa?

I can remember that Elvis sang Witchcraft - - but I can't remember what Frank sang. I wonder why that is?

Also Frank had a lovely recording of George Harrison's song from Abbey Road called Something.

• Like 1

Two favorites:

One is "It's All Right With Me" from 1960's "Can-Can",sung to Juliet Prowse.  This the best version of this song he ever did, IMHO.

Two is "That Old Devil Moon" that has a 1934 Betty Boop cartoon for visuals I found on YT: I've always loved this song.  The cartoon is a bonus.

• Like 1

Th

I shall submit "My One and Only Love" and "Young at Heart" as my two favorite Frankie songs.

That's interesting that he liked Tony Bennett. Good to know.

There are so many great ones that it is impossible to pick a favorite. If I had to pick one song that seems to epitomize him the most, and which he recorded several times, with different lyrics, it was "Everything Happens to Me".

• Like 1

Okay, well, this is rather difficult for me Spence as Sinatra is my favourite singer of all time, male or female.

There is not a single solitary song or recording  of Sinatra`s I don`t love, including songs he recorded several times in his career.

I always have at least one Sinatra cd in my 5 cd Stereo at all times.

Between records, cds,, and movies, I have well over 100 albums or movie musicals  and cassette tapes of Sinatra music. 

I knew that Tony Bennett was his favourite singer, and Tony Bennett takes that compliment  very seriously and considers that when deciding what songs to record and with whom he should sing duets.

You see, I do not have a single `favourite` song by Frank Sinatra.

I could not even give you a top ten.

I *might* be able to give you a top 100.

However, when it comes to *recordings* of the songs Sinatra did, rather than the songs themselves, my favourite song is the duet he did with his daughter Nancy: `Something Stupid.

It is not a song I would want to sing by itself.  But the song sung by father and daughter is endearing.

I have a record called Sinatra's Sinatra-- his favorite songs that he recorded.

So I'll pick some songs from his favorite songs that are also my favorite songs:

I've Got You Under My Skin

Nancy

Young at Heart

Witchcraft

All the Way

Additionally I would add--

Love and Marriage

The Tender Trap

Come Fly with Me

Hey, Jealous Lover

My Way

I always heard Frank preferred these female singers - - Ella Fitzgerald, Eydie Gormé and Barbra Streisand.

And Eydie's husband, Steve Lawrence was his male favorite.

Tony was his favourite in the latter part of his life - Sinatra`s life that is.

Disdain for Rock n Roll maybe - -

I vividly recall watching a TV special when Frank welcomed backed Elvis Presley to the states after his military service in Germany.

The highlight of the special was Frank Sinatra singing Elvis Presley songs and Elvis Presley singing Frank Sinatra songs. Then Nancy Jr came and swept Elvis off his feet or was it vice versa?

I can remember that Elvis sang Witchcraft - - but I can't remember what Frank sang. I wonder why that is?

Also Frank had a lovely recording of George Harrison's song from Abbey Road called Something.

Frank sang Witchcraft.

Maybe you`re just more into Elvis than Frank.

I already replied to several on this that were cool enough to reply, from my inbox

Who else has ever had to chance to see a tremendous 1965 CBS news item that was re aired just after his demise on May 14th, 1998 & again, of course on CBS.

It was ultra-rare for many reasons, it was thee first time *"The Chairman" ever allowed cameras into the recording studio-(& of course atop "Capitol Records" I dubbed it ("The House *Sinatra Built")

& you can't miss it on any shots of Tinsel-Town-(NOTE: A place I truly wanted to visit on my (3) trips to whats left of an empire called HOLLYWOOD) Sadly, I wasn't able to & also, as most are aware "Murals" are everywhere in town & out & thee best known of his is massive & I so wanted to get a shot of it, with "Capitol" in the background. However, I screwed-up w/my camera & got nada of it :angry:

Anyhow, this superb & must save special was shot in B &W-(I forget the host though right now?)

& he was recording my own A #1 number by any artist "IT WAS A VERY GOOD YEAR" & w/*Nelson Riddle's orchestra :D

Plus, it had interviews with *Frank simultaneously.

Who else has either seen this or knows about it?

I actually taped it on (3) tapes & it can easily be found online-(I think youtube has it)  But the 1st vhs tape I recorded this on I rank as 1 of my overall top (5) vids/dvd's, because the entire 6hr tape also covers everything on him, including interviews w/Don Rickles-(for my $dough$ the funniest guy "ALIVE!"), Wayne Newton & many, many, others

THANK YOU

Frank sang Witchcraft.

Maybe you`re just more into Elvis than Frank.

As I previously cited, he loathed Rock N'Roll, but, he knew he at this pt needed to also still reach a younger audience

They suggested he do a bit-(now a legendary number) w/Elvis Presley-(l935-77) he balked at the idea at first, unil they told him it would broaden his appeal, so he did it of course & all has seen that classic number between the 2 heavyweights. However, I don't think he ever associated w/Elvis again after that famous evening

Now I remember-(thanx to other TCM-ITE'S sending in their pix as fav. *Francis Albert songs)

I only listed my own top (4) favs of his, leaving out #5

"It Was A Very Good Year"

"In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning"

"Summer Wind"

"One More for the Road"-(NOTE: It's this one especially, that gave him the rep of being a saloon singer)

"All the Way"

& "Angel Eyes"-(NOTE: Also check out the superb 1995 *Oscar winning "Leaving Las Vegas' where Sting covers this a lot)

& his *Academy Award-(AMPAS) winning songs:

*1957 "All the Way" from "The Joker Is Wild"

*1959 "High Hopes" from "A Hole in the Head"

& at present & of all fans, I currently forget if 1954's *"Three Coins in the Fountain" was him or not?

Please assist

& casting a vote for a friend of mine whom used to be within these forums-(HOLLY)

"Summer Wind" she always loved to clean her house to this #

(P.S. & who recalls "Mama Will Bark?"

• Like 1

& to the person that wrote on this, I know of his admiration of  Nat "King" Cole-(l9l9-65)

However, I still am pretty positive Tony was his own favorite, or possibly he cited Tony after Cole went away?

Here's the opening duet from the May 12, 1960 ABC special titled "The Frank Sinatra Timex Show: Welcome Home Elvis":

Jakeem--

And thank you for posting this special. It's just the way I remember it. Those are two of my favorite singers. It's terrific to hear them sing together!

Jakeem--

And thank you for posting this special. It's just the way I remember it. Those are two of my favorite singers. It's terrific to hear them sing together!

You're welcome! The first time I ever saw the duet was when it was used in the 1981 documentary "This Is Elvis." I also never knew that Nancy Sinatra appeared in the TV special -- almost six years before the release of her No. 1 pop hit "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'."

As I previously cited, he loathed Rock N'Roll, but, he knew he at this pt needed to also still reach a younger audience

They suggested he do a bit-(now a legendary number) w/Elvis Presley-(l935-77) he balked at the idea at first, unil they told him it would broaden his appeal, so he did it of course & all has seen that classic number between the 2 heavyweights. However, I don't think he ever associated w/Elvis again after that famous evening

For a man who loathed rock and roll, is it not ironic that he recorded TWO songs by the Beatles.

I thought that he had only recorded Yesterday, but Vautrin told me that he did actually record Something, as well.

The man knew great songs when he heard them - regardless of the style.

You're welcome! The first time I ever saw the duet was when it was used in the 1981 documentary "This Is Elvis." I also never knew that Nancy Sinatra appeared in the TV special -- almost six years before the release of her No. 1 pop hit "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'."

I own the VHS of that special.

Yes,  I own VHS.

Now I remember-(thanx to other TCM-ITE'S sending in their pix as fav. *Francis Albert songs)

I only listed my own top (4) favs of his, leaving out #5

"It Was A Very Good Year"

"In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning"

"Summer Wind"

"One More for the Road"-(NOTE: It's this one especially, that gave him the rep of being a saloon singer)

"All the Way"

& "Angel Eyes"-(NOTE: Also check out the superb 1995 *Oscar winning "Leaving Las Vegas' where Sting covers this a lot)

& his *Academy Award-(AMPAS) winning songs:

*1957 "All the Way" from "The Joker Is Wild"

*1959 "High Hopes" from "A Hole in the Head"

& at present & of all fans, I currently forget if 1954's *"Three Coins in the Fountain" was him or not?

Please assist

& casting a vote for a friend of mine whom used to be within these forums-(HOLLY)

"Summer Wind" she always loved to clean her house to this #

(P.S. & who recalls "Mama Will Bark?"

Yes, that's him singing Three Coins in the Fountain for the movie Three Coins in the Fountain.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings