Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
markmaven

Is Darkness After Dawn back?

My hunger is equally strong for the potent pleasures of noir. I'm happy to report that Darkness After Dawn is indeed back. This morning's film was 1951's The Unknown Man from MGM.

I agree with Ken that Darkness after Dawn would find a more receptive audience if these noir films were scheduled in the evening or overnight hours. For the remainder of this month, we have the following to look forward to:

Sept 23rd 8:00AM ET

Naked City (1948) A step-by-step look at a murder investigation on the streets of New York. Cast: Barry Fitzgerald, Howard Duff, Dorothy Hart. Dir: Jules Dassin. BW-96 mins, TV-14

Sept. 30th 8:00AM ET

White Heat (1949) A government agent infiltrates a gang run by a mother-fixated psychotic. Cast: James Cagney, Edmond O'Brien, Virginia Mayo. Dir: Raoul Walsh. BW-114 mins, TV-PG, CC, DVS

Checking the October schedule, I find that this feature doesn't seem to be scheduled at all for 8AM on Saturday during that month. It does seem to return on

Nov. 11th at 8AM ET with

Touch of Evil(1958) A narcotics agent risks his wife's life to investigate a crooked cop. Cast: Orson Welles, Charlton Heston, Janet Leigh. Dir: Orson Welles. BW-95 mins, TV-14

Yet again, it isn't featured for any other Saturdays during November.

Has TCM moved this feature to another day, or do they feel that we're all noired out? Does anyone have any info about this?

No, it isn't back. It's October 7th and there's no noir - it's a Margaret O'Brien musical. What's the deal with DAD? Judging by the forum notes, I'm not the only one who sets my clock for the 8:00 noir on Saturdays. In one thread, someone from TCM said not to worry that they'd be back after the August hiatus. And yet they're not. This is like network series - you can't expect an audience to come at a regular time if you change the regular time. Besides, we want our d-a-d!!!!

i'm shocked that you've removed the best of all you're weekly showcases after all these years.it's sat. oct.14 and born free is coming on @8am. you've got to be kidding. there are no double crosses , dirty dealings, or fem fatales in born free! no more spending sat. mornings with tcm for me till you return darkness after dawn to it's proper time slot!

I also enjoy the noir. It would be good for TCM to have a certain time for film noir even if they feel the need to move it from its original morning time slot. Much like the foreign films have moved to sunday night after the silent films, as long as we know when the movies will be showing things can get better. We just need a definite time to tune in.

I have seen Noirs at various times on various days over the past ten months (I am relatively new here), but TCM (as great as it is) seems to run the same two dozen or so over and over, with two or three additional occasionally. There are hundreds of other excellent noirs that have not been shown, at least since January 2006---there are so many choices. I can understand showing what are considered classics more regularly, but TCM does this with all types of films and I get a bit tired of the redundancy (for example, I just noted that in the upcoming schedule STALAG 17 is getting three more plays---which makes approximately a dozen times that it has been shown this year, while others (ACT OF VIOLENCE, CRIME WAVE, DECOY, THE WEB, STRANGER ON THE THIRD FLOOR just to scratch the surface) get no airing at all.

If no one had tried this (I sincerely wonder if TCM pays any attention to the "Suggest A Movie" area), I think an organized email campaign might work---to get a regular "Noir Spot" of about 6-8 hours during the week, where maybe ONE classic and then 3 more neglected films would be shown. What do ya think?

SHUPirate44

I have too much time on my hands...just to see if I was blowing hot air, I went and checked the TCM database and schedule (this is far from scientific) and this is what I came up with:

50 Noir Films shown so far this year at least once, but not scheduled again at least until beyond February 2007;

31 Noir Films shown so far this year AND scheduled to be shown at least one more time this year (through February 2007);

18 Noir Films that have NOT (to my knowledge) been shown yet this year, but on the schedule to be shown between now (November 9 and the end of February 2007);

I also checked an ADDITIONAL 226 Noirs (that I could think of)---217 were in the TCM database and 9 were NOT. None of these 226 have been shown this year and none of them are on the schedule, at least through February 2007. This last group (of 216) includes some great films, like THIEVES HIGHWAY, THE WEAPON, RIDE THE PINK HORSE, classic Ida Lupino films like WOMAN IN HIDING, ROAD HOUSE and PRIVATE HELL 36---four more words---FRANK LOVEJOY, HOWARD DUFF---both in some excellent Noirs that are never shown (although THE HITCHIKER is scheduled again soon).

These films need to be on the schedule!!!

Others here have done some meticulous research as well so you are in good company.

I know "Ride The Pink Horse" has been on TCM. I just don't remember whether it was real early this year or late last year.

Anyway, I admire your knowledge of these films. That you could think of that many is pretty impressive.

Darkness After Dawn was great programming we all agree to that. I really miss it. The time was wrong like others agree it was to early in the morning. Friday night would have been a great time since most Film Noir fans like late night films i.e. 10:00pm or later. There where many Film Noir films never shown or not covered at times for example " Narrow Margin" and a salute to Jack Palance. And perhaps a Film Critic could be a guest once a month of this style you guys have your Favorites. I would choose Alain Silver and that amazing Eddie Muller these guys have style amongst others. Darkness After Dawn needs another time spot and new films and thats it! A Darkness After Dawn spotlight on Dane Clark and Lizaberth Scott would be nice.