Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lolly-Madonna XXX

NipkowDisc

what exactly is it? I've never sat through it. seems to be some sorta hillbilly feud film. robert ryan stands around looking tough like he usually does and rod steiger sits around, near as I could tell, snacking on some crackers.

a course I've only usually come in at the end. some crazy old bag blows the guts out of a buck-toothed gary busey with a sawed-off shotgun.

I will watch it tonite.

Shouldn't you have written SPOILER ALERT?

I tend to assume that most other posters have already seen it. I think the story has to do with an abduction of some kind. buck-toothed gary is being held by one brood as revenge...I think.

I gotta watch it. :)

I tend to assume that most other posters have already seen it. I think the story has to do with an abduction of some kind. buck-toothed gary is being held by one brood as revenge...I think.

I gotta watch it. :)

You know what they say about "assuming"...

This movie is rarely, if ever, shown. I've never seen it, and people had already posted about what a rarity it is in another thread.

• Like 1

I've never understood the triple X's in this title but all Ryan fans should watch as this film is wacky!

I think mystery writer Sue Grafton wrote the novel it was based on.

I think that the XXX refers to the affectionate method of signing a letter - however, that's entirely based on a brief sequence shown in the promo that TCM has shown quite a few times over the last year & this promo poster lifted from wikipedia.

406px-Lolly-Madonna_XXX.jpg

Either way, I'm looking forward to actually seeing the subject of the promo at last.

• Like 1

I think that the XXX refers to the affectionate method of signing a letter - however, that's entirely based on a brief sequence shown in the promo that TCM has shown quite a few times over the last year & this promo poster lifted from wikipedia.

Either way, I'm looking forward to actually seeing the subject of the promo at last.

Thanks, Limey!

P.S. But where are the "O"s?

Thanks, Limey!

P.S. But where are the "O"s?

'O' dear, methinks we're entering the regional dialect thing once more...

I'm more familiar with the XXX, as opposed to the XOXOXO (and omitting any naughty XXX variations) - however, I am constantly amazed/grateful for the folks on the net who spend time/electrons on providing handy explanations for things like this.

'O' dear, methinks we're entering the regional dialect thing once more...

I'm more familiar with the XXX, as opposed to the XOXOXO (and omitting any naughty XXX variations) - however, I am constantly amazed/grateful for the folks on the net who spend time/electrons on providing handy explanations for things like this.

In the American parlance of written correspondence, limey ol' boy...

"X"="kisses", and "O"="hugs".

everybody knows that hillbillies put XXX on their booze jugs. :)

2hdpmxy.jpg

everybody knows that hillbillies put XXX on their booze jugs. :)

2hdpmxy.jpg

Because they luv their moonshine soooooo much!

And they know that the boys from the bureau would never think of looking in the jugs with XXX scrawled on 'em...

In the American parlance of written correspondence, limey ol' boy...

"X"="kisses", and "O"="hugs".

O, this huggery must be an American thing - the Brits are way too Victorian minded for any of that bodily contact shenanigans (unless thoroughly married, with standby chaperones in case things get out of hand...) :P

O, this huggery must be an American thing - the Brits are way too Victorian minded for any of that bodily contact shenanigans (unless thoroughly married, with standby chaperones in case things get out of hand...) :P

LOL

Ya know limey, I WAS going to mention something along those lines with that explanation I gave you.

(...but for once I succumbed to the idea of discretion and so skipped kiddin' you superfluous-u users) ;)

• Like 1

LOL

Ya know limey, I WAS going to mention something along those lines with that explanation I gave you.

(...but for once I succumbed to the idea of discretion and so skipped kiddin' you superfluous-u users) ;)

Everyone knows that the D in Dargo stands for Discretion. ;)

• Like 1

I saw this movie earlier tonight as it aired and a great cast it was - but a one time only viewing for me.

Way too violent to watch more than once for me.

You know, XXX isn't in the title for the violence, but it could easily have been in the title to warn people about the amount of senseless violence.

Me, I prefer The Burt Lancaster-Kirk Douglas version of Gunfight at the OK Corral.

And I can tell you a lot of this has to do with the fact that Deforest Kelley plays Morgan Earp in that film.

• Like 1

LOL

How am I going to say how "humorous" you are, Dargo if I have to give up the "u"s?

Oh, you said sperflos, I mean "superfluous" ones.

Never mind!

You know what they say about "assuming"...

This movie is rarely, if ever, shown. I've never seen it, and people had already posted about what a rarity it is in another thread.

I saw it so long ago that I totally forgot about the postcard plot.

I watched and was a bit surprised by the rape redemption stuff.

Still it was good to see Ryan and Steiger work off each other.

• Like 1

Well Lolly-Madonna XXX turned out to be an odd creature. I liked the way that some details like the whole postcard plot premise & the background as to why the families ended up as warped as they were, was gradually revealed - but it was difficult to get around the casual violence/cruelty/rape & the lack of redeeming qualities in most of the characters.

How am I going to say how "humorous" you are, Dargo if I have to give up the "u"s?

Oh, you said sperflos, I mean "superfluous" ones.

Never mind!

(Said sheepishly) Dargo luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuvs his superfluous ewes.

Man  I musta' caught this weirdo film about 29yrs back on late night tv somewhere & it is a mixed brew

(** to **1/2-out of four at best)

Reason I replied here is "STOTM" & 1 time *Oscar contender: Robert Ryan-(l909-1973) appeared in (3) that final year of his life

This one, "The 0utfit" w/*Duvall & only mediocre (**) & by far the best of the lot & rarely if ever televised "The Iceman Cometh" in which he stole it from a strong cast including *Lee Marvin, *Fredric March & *Jeff Bridges

& as Maltin says Ryan towers above all w/his work

in an interview he said he loved it because he just studied these older actors a lot.

I like 'THE OUTFIT' quite a bit.  I've seen it at least 10 times by now.  I like the fact it's spare and sparse and not loaded up with 'hip' dialogue and unnecessary exposition.  Why did Duvall wipe out Ryan?  Cos he owed him money.  Far out.     

I reckon the 'hip' dialogue thing didn't become fashionable in film until the '90s, anyway.  Perhaps with the popularity of PULP FICTION?  

--------------------------------------------------

I liked LOLLY-MADONNA XXX well enough.  It was kinda weird.  And I like a lot of weird movies.  I do think it was an odd movie to be made by MGM!  It's the kind of movie I'd expect to be produced by some independent studio with an unknown director who had a "vision" of backwoodsy types and family squabbles that turn deadly circa 1972.  I can't imagine this movie did big box office.  

watched it last nite and was none too impressed. back in the early seventies somehow filmmakers got this notion that jeff bridges was some kinda golden boy of acting and thus too many scenes are devoted to him.

film's a waste of a helluva lot of great cinematography. steiger is wasted, ryan a little less. film coulda been a modern spin on the hatfields and the mccoys but they went for this vague psychological HS.

okay, years before laban shot all of ludie's horses. why? did he wanna make a killing on cheap rustic horsemeat? :huh:

and poor bucktoothed jeb. he didn't wanna do no killing yet he winds up being blown out through the middle by chickie feather.

I guess laban did the right thing by just sittin' around snackin'. :)

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings