Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pool (i.e. billards) in film

skimpole

The novel I was reading today had a brief incident where the characters play pool.  That led me to think of movies where the game is played.  There's the scene in Sherlock Jr., and there's also The Hustler and its sequel The Colour of Money.  What else?

Aah yes, my good man. This gentleman here in many of his film various films often partook in the fine art of pool playing, if you recall...

521565435_5761b62c1d_z.jpg?zz=1

in fact, his second credited role in films was in the 1915 one-reeler POOL SHARKS here...

hqdefault.jpg

The success of The Hustler inspired a number of TV episodes:

"A Game of Pool", The Twilight Zone

DOdJYo5.jpg

"Hustling The Hustler", The Dick Van Dyke Show (not  a very good episode)

A Get Smart with one of the all time greatest titles, "The Dead Spy Scrawls"

TK6XBUX.jpg

• Like 2

The novel I was reading today had a brief incident where the characters play pool.  That led me to think of movies where the game is played.  There's the scene in Sherlock Jr., and there's also The Hustler and its sequel The Colour of Money.  What else?

Oh, btw skimpole. You know that sequel to THE HUSTLER you referenced here?

Well, it was an American production, not a British or Canadian one.

And so the CORRECT title of it is: THE COLOR OF MONEY.

(...sorry...just couldn't resist) ;)

• Like 1

Oh, btw skimpole. You know that sequel to THE HUSTLER you referenced here?

Well, it was an American production, not a British or Canadian one.

And so the CORRECT title of it is: THE COLOR OF MONEY.

(...sorry...just couldn't resist) ;)

I was goin' with The Hustleur

:P 

• Like 1

Don't forget "Poolhall Junkies" (2002), an underappreciated film written and directed by its star, Mars Callahan. It also features Michael Rosenbaum (Lex Luthor of TV's "Smallville" with a full head of hair), Alison Eastwood, Anson Mount, Christopher Walken, Chazz Palminteri, Peter Mark Richman and Rick Schroder. This was the final screen appearance of Rod Steiger.

The success of The Hustler inspired a number of TV episodes:

"A Game of Pool", The Twilight Zone

DOdJYo5.jpg

"Hustling The Hustler", The Dick Van Dyke Show (not  a very good episode)

A Get Smart with one of the all time greatest titles, "The Dead Spy Scrawls"

TK6XBUX.jpg

This episode aired the weekend MeTV paid tribute to leonard Nimoy (with the sunglasses) when he died.

They also aired his episode of Columbo a Stitch in Time, and the first time he and Shatner shared the screen in an episode of The Ma From Uncle.

I love The Twilight Zone episodes too.

How could anyone forget THE MUSIC MAN Professor Harold Hill's "....Trouble starts with T and that rhymes with P and that stands for pool"? 

I just watched an Underground short, "The Dropout" about a teen that dropped out of school. He ended up spending his days in a pool hall getting into trouble.

A SHOT IN THE DARK and SLEUTH

• Like 1

Well, so far nobody's mentioned THE LAST PICTURE SHOW  ("Doggone it MON-ROE,  you made me SCRATCH!") 

Nor BOTH versions of LADY FOR A DAY.  (sequel being "Pocketful Of Miracles")

I seem to recall some flick with MARYLIN CHAMBERS that involves a pool table, but I don't think TCM is ever gonna air it.  B)

Sepiatone

There's a hilarious scene in The Party when one of the revelers, Wild Bill Kelso, teaches his sexy date how to play pool. Hrundi Bakshi (Peter Sellers) comes along and gets the pool cue in his behind. Surprised, he calls out, "Hari Ram Ram!"

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings