Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JakeHolman

MEMORIAL DAY

Trump Says He Heroically Avoided Capture in Vietnam by Staying in U.S.

borowitz-andy.png
July 18, 2015

Donald Trump. Photograph by Scott Olson / Getty

AMES, IOWA (The Borowitz Report)—Presidential candidate Donald Trump revealed a little-known episode of personal heroism from his youth on Saturday, telling an Iowa audience that he narrowly avoided capture in Vietnam by remaining in the United States for the duration of the war.

“The Cong were after me,” Trump said, visibly stirred by the memory. “And then, just in the nick of time, I got my deferment.”

The former reality-show star said he had never shared his record as a war hero before because “I don’t like to boast.”

He said that he only disclosed the episode now because “the way this nation treats our deferment veterans is a disgrace.”

Trump complained that he received no official commendation or medal for his heroism, calling the lack of recognition “shameful.”

“Those brave Americans who, like me, avoided being captured by not serving at all—we are the true heroes,” he said.

Trump’s tale of valor appeared to move many members of his audience, some of whom waited in line after his speech to thank him for his lack of service.

Well at least someone got their wish this year the USS John McCain is REALLY out of sight,  it's in Yokosuka, Japan.

Heard it will be engaging Godzilla in the next sequel. :P

Godzilla-ship.jpg

I had a personal hamburger cookout with Stadium Arcadium on half blast. The weather,

which was forecast of be possibly stormy, was very nice. That's what America means to me. 

On Memorial Day, we honor those who gave all for us.

That takes different forms this year, but it’s even more vital with the loss of so many veterans to COVID-19.

The way they lived, in service to one another, should be our roadmap in the months ahead.
  • Thanks 1