Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Movies Have You seen the Most Times?

spence

I just thought of this again because "Shane" is on again & it's in my own handful of films I've watched the most times over the years

I even not only know the dialogue in advance but mannerisms too.

(not particularly my favs though) & (only the top (10) in order of seeing the most)

*"The Godfather" (l972)

*"The Godfather, Part II" (l974)

"Bad Day at Black Rock" (l955-M-G-M)

"Inside Daisy Clover" (l965)-(although "Splendor..." is better)

"Angels With Dirty Faces" (l938 WB's)-(my mom didn't like old B & W films, except *Cagney's & for some weird reason S. Temple?)  :unsure:  & his "Roaring Twenties" (l939 Warner Bros.)

"White Heat" (l949 WB's)

& I know I'm in the minority on here, especially & it seems silly, but "Truth or Dare"-(l99l)-(with her "Royal Italian Majesty" a phrase she now likes when I post it on her own FB page)

"Reality Bites" (l994)-(what can I say I'm also a huge fan of Winona Ryder's) :D

"The Fabulous Baker Boys" (l989)-(TRIVIA FUN FAX: Next time you happen to see this *Oscar nominee & it's instant classic ballroom sequence w/Pfeiffer, that's "The Blossom Room" at "The Roosevelt Hotel")

& thanx to others that replied, I left out a few myself-(in no special order)>

"Kane"  "Shane" *"Casablanca"  "Treasure of the Sierra Madre"  "GoodFellas" & *"Platoon"-(both so much so I also know the mannerisms without watching again)  "Apocalypse Now"-(this was the 1 that really put the moviegoing/loving bug in me at only age 15 too! After being taken to it about (3) times I then delved into everything movies.)

& back during my huge binge drinking days-(late '80's through mid 1990's), I had "Full Metal Jacket" on a LOT!  & even though "The Searchers" is my fav *Ford pic. I started watching his 1952 "The Quiet Man" on tv in the late 1970's & many flix of *"The Woodman"-Woody Allen, most of all *"Annie Hall" "Bananas" "Take the Money & Run" & my most viewed Hitch flick 1954's perfect "Rear Window" though "Vertigo" is easily among the ten all-time finest motion pictures

& not sure if this counts or not, but I gotta' of course include shorts by "The Three Stooges" (1934-59)

Roger Ebert-(l942-2013) always said of "Citizen Kane" that 1 always catches something different w/each viewing  He was correct, but that also goes for most films, just not as much I reckon'

& Siskel would mostly balk when asked his fav. film, but when pressed he'd confess it's "2001: A Space 0dyssey" adding it was his "Desert Island Choice"

Thanks

& again, please keep 'em comin'    Interesting choices by all   & as I said to someone else I wonder what R. 0sborne's are?

Bill Murray always says he's studied "Stalag 17" more then any other & especially his Idol, being: *William Holden as Sefton in it. Same Hero for Mr. 0sborne, *Kevin Costner & Alec Baldwin by the way

In no particular order:  Anatomy of a Murder, The Thin Man, 12 Angry Men, Bad Day at Black Rock, Double Indemnity, Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, The Thing (original version), White Heat, Shadow of a Doubt, Best Years of Our Lives, Ninotchka, Asphalt Jungle, Casablanca, Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, Psycho.  There are plenty of others I have seen multiple times but these are the ones I've seen the most and I love them all.

I've probably watched CITIZEN KANE at least twenty times, but that's because I wrote about it more than once in college. And PSYCHO was another one I wrote about-- meaning the shower scene is something I have memorized forward and backward..!

I've seen North by Northwest, here on TCM quite a lot! :D

I'm serious - NBNW might actually be the film I've seen most often, though most of Hitchcock's other output is up there, too. I just rarely switch away from a Hitch film, if it happens to be on...

• Like 2

As I said to others   I neglected to also include the legendary "Kane" on my own

& I-(& this was just perfecto too) got to see it once in a massive old time movie palace down here in Tampa, FL-(among the only good things here)

It was built in 1926, same as "Grauman's"  though according to my ma & others, "Tampa Theatre" is even more superb inside then that legendary movie palace on Hollywood, Blvd.

Personally, I never went inside there on my (3) trips, only outside where the footprints are of course

At that time I wanted to see/review 2005's "Capote" instead, which was playing behind the "Cinerama Dome" & I knew it would be a big upcoming *Oscar contender

I also love Michael Corleone's monologue in "The Godfather" when he proposes the hits on Sollozzo the Turk and McCluskey the crooked cop. As he speaks, the camera zooms in closer to him. It's a brilliant scene!

I have lost count of the number of times I have seen:

My favourite movie of all time: The Guns of Navarone

Various Hitchcock movies

The Great Escape

The Magnificent Seven

Once Upon a Time in the West

The Dirty Dozen

Roman Holiday

High Society

From Here to Eternity

Gunfight at the OK Coral

Gilda

Laura

The Best years of Our lives

Mr. Roberts

Murder on the Orient Express

...............................................................well, let us just say my favourites I have watched to the point I have no idea how often I have seen them.

What did you learn from watching this movie multiple times, Nip?

I've never watched it, but I did read the book it was ripped off from, a few times in Catholic school.

has anyone ever caught the recent cgi epic of the story?  It's ok (** &1/2)  parting of the red sea is stunning here-(which in the '56 version was actually shot in the Paramount Pictures parking lot!!!

They filmed many things there-(NOTE: For those that may not believe me just (SEARCH FOR IT ONLINE)

It's usually filmed w/cars)

"Vertigo".

Like twenty, thirty or more times.

I can unreel the movie scene to scene in my mind.

I have no idea why. I just feel like watching it occasionally.

Something you should never, ever feel guilty about (CaveGirl)  T.R.E.M.E.N.D.O.U.S!!!

& outrageously-(though I'm a student of *Academy Award history & a predicting pundit going as far back as '82. I rarely agree w/it's choices

& "Vertigo" is another prime example in only garnering (2) nods  Film Editing & Color-Art Direction?

It's mesmerizing score by *B. Herrmann was even voted #12 in AFI's 2006 "100yrs of Movie Music"-(which was held /presented at "The Hollywood Bowl" & headed by *J. Williams-(NOTE: "The 0ld Man and the Sea" (*D. Tiomkin) took home that *Golden Boy" that yr)

& as you know it upset "Kane"-(after 50 years) in 2012's "Sight & Sound Survey" voted the greatest ever made!

& once, when asked in some parking garage, what his (current w/him) fav. movie is, *Scorsese without much pause said "Vertigo"

Now, for about 45yrs or more he always chose "The Searchers"

THE GODFATHER probably about tops the list.

KING OF KINGS ('61)

RIO BRAVO

ON THE WATERFRONT

THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE

THE WIZARD OF OZ (due to the annual showings back in the day)

CITIZEN KANE

THEM

THE THING FROM ANOTHER PLANET

THE SONS OF THE DESERT

THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY

ACE IN THE HOLE

INHERIT THE WIND

DEAD END

CASABLANCA

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

LILLIES OF THE FIELD

NORTH BY NORTHWEST( TCM helped a lot!)

GRAPES OF WRATH

MR. HOBBS TAKES A VACATION

MARTY

HARVEY

MEET JOHN DOE

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

MIRACLE ON 34th STREET

THE ROBE

A CHRISTMAS CAROL( 1951)

HUCKLEBERRY FINN

I'll stop here.  I can't say for sure as far as which got more views than any other, but the numbers for each are pretty high.  That's just the things you might find aired on TCM.  and thanks to the advent of VHS tape and recorders, and recordable DVDs, the multiple viewings became much easier.    But, honorable mentions of oft viewed movies that are rather new are...

THAT THING YOU DO

THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO(2002--and one of my wife's favorites)

OCEAN'S ELEVEN (2001--and also one of my wife's favrites which accounts for so many views.  I like both well enough that it never bothered me).

Sepiatone

I've seen "The Godfather" so many times, I no longer can sit through it from start to finish. I now watch it just for Brando's gestures, mannerisms and facial expressions as Don Corleone.

*Coppola, Robert Evans-(l930-)-(a very strange individual by the way) had to go & see *Marlon at his home-(not Tahiti this time)

due to Paramount not wanting him for the now legendary role, preferring: *Laurence 0livier-(l907-89) instead. He was widely known as not only being difficult, but just out there somewhere when people tried to film. & hadn't had a $hit$ since 1962's expensive "Mutiny on the Bounty" So, for the 1st time since coming to Hollywood, *Brando had to take a screen-test. :angry: he was sleeping when they arrived & was wearing a Japanese robe of sorts-(is it called a "Kimono?"), but he knew exactly what to do here. So, he got up & said this guy should look like a bulldog, stuffing tons of cotton into his mouth & then put shoe polish in his hair, slicking it back,etc  Then came the voice, saying this man should sound like he's been through a lot in his life. So, they rushed the footage to the studio & execs were stunned! :rolleyes: & the rest is history. They also had to get a pass on it's script via actual mob boss: Joe Columbo, he liked it, but insisted not 1 word could include "Mafia" & it doesn't either in the epic. (Columbo was soon shot at an "Italian American Rally," lived a few yrs & then died) & in relation to Columbo, *Marlon was drunk as a skunk one day, during the early wedding scene. See, he, James Caan & even *Duvall just loved to moon everywhere & he did it to a bunch of folks in that garden, as it turns out it was members of "The Columbo Family!"   He was actually a bit nervous about that one afterward & for those that may also not know of this famed pc about him & his acting. Nxt time just watch 'em & you'll see. He always had his little lines of dialogue posted on things everywhere, even often on the other actors' forehead :lol:

(P.S. Something always annoyed me though, typically weird of *Marlon-(though easily must rank among the (5) greatest!)

He never uttered 1 word about the astonishing job *De Niro did in *"GFI"   NOT COOL :angry:  & he was actually IRISH & notr ITALIAN. can's Jewish. But *Pacino is Sicilian)

I just thought of this again because "Shane" is on again & it's in my own handful of films I've watched the most times over the years

I even not only know the dialogue in advance but mannerisms too.

(not particularly my favs though) & (only the top (10) in order of seeing the most)

*"The Godfather" (l972)

*"The Godfather, Part II" (l974)

"Bad Day at Black Rock" (l955-M-G-M)

"Inside Daisy Clover" (l965)-(although "Splendor..." is better)

"Angels With Dirty Faces" (l938 WB's)-(my mom didn't like old B & W films, except *Cagney's & for some weird reason S. Temple?)  :unsure:  & his "Roaring Twenties" (l939 Warner Bros.)

"White Heat" (l949 WB's)

& I know I'm in the minority on here, especially & it seems silly, but "Truth or Dare"-(l99l)-(with her "Royal Italian Majesty" a phrase she now likes when I post it on her own FB page)

"Reality Bites" (l994)-(what can I say I'm also a huge fan of Winona Ryder's) :D

"The Fabulous Baker Boys" (l989)-(TRIVIA FUN FAX: Next time you happen to see this *Oscar nominee & it's instant classic ballroom sequence w/Pfeiffer, that's "The Blossom Room" at "The Roosevelt Hotel")

& thanx to others that replied, I left out a few myself-(in no special order)>

"Kane"  "Shane" *"Casablanca"  "Treasure of the Sierra Madre"  "GoodFellas" & *"Platoon"-(both so much so I also know the mannerisms without watching again)  "Apocalypse Now"-(this was the 1 that really put the moviegoing/loving bug in me at only age 15 too! After being taken to it about (3) times I then delved into everything movies.) *"0n the Waterfront"

& back during my huge binge drinking days-(late '80's through mid 1990's), I had "Full Metal Jacket" on a LOT!  & even though "The Searchers" is my fav *Ford pic. I started watching his 1952 "The Quiet Man" on tv in the late 1970's & many flix of *"The Woodman"-Woody Allen, most of all *"Annie Hall" "Bananas" "Take the Money & Run" & my most viewed Hitch flick 1954's perfect "Rear Window" though "Vertigo" is easily among the ten all-time finest motion pictures

& not sure if this counts or not, but I gotta' of course include shorts by "The Three Stooges" (1934-59)

Roger Ebert-(l942-2013) always said of "Citizen Kane" that 1 always catches something different w/each viewing  He was correct, but that also goes for most films, just not as much I reckon'

& Siskel would mostly balk when asked his fav. film, but when pressed he'd confess it's "2001: A Space 0dyssey" adding it was his "Desert Island Choice"

Thanks

& again, please keep 'em comin'    Interesting choices by all   & as I said to someone else I wonder what R. 0sborne's are?

Bill Murray always says he's studied "Stalag 17" more then any other & especially his Idol, being: *William Holden as Sefton in it. Same Hero for Mr. 0sborne, *Kevin Costner & Alec Baldwin by the way

I watch The Adventures of Robin Hood at least twice a year.  If I don't see it every 6 months, I get blue.It was my dear departed dad's favorite movie, so I feel as if.I'm having a visit with him when I watch it  I may have seen it 50 times.  I know all the dialogue by heart, and if it's on late and I doze off, the movie basically plays on in my dream state.  Casablanca and Singin in the Rain are close seconds.  The Wizard of Oz used to be the one I saw the most because it was on every year since childhood, but now that my own kids are grown, I don't watch it all the way through when it's on.

• Like 1

*Coppola, Robert Evans-(l930-)-(a very strange individual by the way) had to go & see *Marlon at his home-(not Tahiti this time)

due to Paramount not wanting him for the now legendary role, preferring: *Laurence 0livier-(l907-89) instead. He was widely known as not only being difficult, but just out there somewhere when people tried to film. & hadn't had a $hit$ since 1962's expensive "Mutiny on the Bounty" So, for the 1st time since coming to Hollywood, *Brando had to take a screen-test. :angry: he was sleeping when they arrived & was wearing a Japanese robe of sorts-(is it called a "Kimono?"), but he knew exactly what to do here. So, he got up & said this guy should look like a bulldog, stuffing tons of cotton into his mouth & then put shoe polish in his hair, slicking it back,etc  Then came the voice, saying this man should sound like he's been through a lot in his life. So, they rushed the footage to the studio & execs were stunned! :rolleyes: & the rest is history. They also had to get a pass on it's script via actual mob boss: Joe Columbo, he liked it, but insisted not 1 word could include "Mafia" & it doesn't either in the epic. (Columbo was soon shot at an "Italian American Rally," lived a few yrs & then died) & in relation to Columbo, *Marlon was drunk as a skunk one day, during the early wedding scene. See, he, James Caan & even *Duvall just loved to moon everywhere & he did it to a bunch of folks in that garden, as it turns out it was members of "The Columbo Family!"   He was actually a bit nervous about that one afterward & for those that may also not know of this famed pc about him & his acting. Nxt time just watch 'em & you'll see. He always had his little lines of dialogue posted on things everywhere, even often on the other actors' forehead :lol:

(P.S. Something always annoyed me though, typically weird of *Marlon-(though easily must rank among the (5) greatest!)

He never uttered 1 word about the astonishing job *De Niro did in *"GFI"   NOT COOL :angry:  & he was actually IRISH & notr ITALIAN. can's Jewish. But *Pacino is Sicilian)

Marlon Brando was FRENCH

Marlon Brando was FRENCH

Marlon Brando was of German, Dutch, English and Irish ancestry. His family name was Brandau, a Germanic spelling, which was changed when his ancestors came from Germany in the 1700's. His mother's family name was Pennebaker.

Marlon Brando was of German, Dutch, English and Irish ancestry. His family name was Brandau, a Germanic spelling, which was changed when his ancestors came from Germany in the 1700's. His mother's family name was Pennebaker.

But the point was - he was NOT ITALIAN, which seemed to be of importance to Spence in talking about the actors and director involved.

But thanks for the correction - with the spelling I thought he was French.  I certainly did not know he was NOT Italian until after he died.  Why, I don't know.  I guess it never occurred to me to look up his family history.

Interesting that his sister made The Big Heat as Glenn Ford's wife.  Of course, me being a fan of Glenn Ford MIGHT hae something to do with the fact that I brought up this film in the first place.

:rolleyes:

Over 20 viewings, in no special order:

"The Wizard of Oz" (1939)--Because of yearly showings from the 70's on.

"The Ten Commandments"(1956)--Same reason.

"Gone With the Wind" (1939)

"Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" (1953)--My favorite 20th Century Fox musical.

"North by Northwest" (1959)--I'd already seen it 15-17 times before I found TCM.

"The Haunting" (1963)--My favorite Haunted House story, film and book ("The Haunting of Hill House").

"The Harvey Girls" (1946)--Judy Garland musical with roots in reality-- read the films' end credits.

"On The Town" (1949)--A favorite MGM musical.

"Singing in the Rain" (1952)--The MGM musical.

"The Bandwagon" (1953)--"She came at me in Sections"

"Notorious" (1946)--Hitchcock's most romantic film.

"Casablanca" (1942)--My favorite Bogart film.

"To Have and Have Not" (1944)--Bogie & Bacall falling in love on screen.

"The Unforgiven" (1960)--Audrey Hepburn's only western, I watched the video often for a while--now I'm glad I watched it so often, since it's becoming harder to find.

"Funny Face" (1957)--Audrey and Kay Thompson ("Think Pink", "Clap Yo' Hands") steal the film from Astaire.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings