Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

manckiewicz boo-boo

NipkowDisc

after the end of the magnificent seven ben manckiewicz follows up with some trivia and incorrectly states the title of the 1966 sequel as 'Return of the Magnificent Seven'.

of course there is no magnificent in the title. it is simply Return of the Seven.

a space cadet like me would never have made a mistake like that. :)

tcm are such know-it-alls they get film titles wrong. :lol:

• Like 1

after the end of the magnificent seven ben manckiewicz follows up with some trivia and incorrectly states the title of the 1966 sequel as 'Return of the Magnificent Seven'.

of course there is no magnificent in the title. it is simply Return of the Seven.

a space cadet like me would never have made a mistake like that. :)

tcm are such know-it-alls they get film titles wrong. :lol:

Going by Amazon and TCM's own article, it may have been a magnificent & official alternate title:

51WTS4BP4BL.jpg

• Like 4

Going by Amazon and TCM's own article, it may have been a magnificent & official alternate title:

51WTS4BP4BL.jpg

but it first showed up on TV as Return of the Seven and I would suppose that's how it was released in theatres as in 1966. :D

my point is that mankiewicz getting the title wrong is not knowledgeable and to me tcm likes to come across to the public as these great cinemaphile know-it-alls.

get a film title correct and I will consider that proposition. :)

but it first showed up on TV as Return of the Seven and I would suppose that's how it was released in theatres as in 1966. :D

my point is that mankiewicz getting the title wrong is not knowledgeable and to me tcm likes to come across to the public as these great cinemaphile know-it-alls.

Now you feel secure.

Ya know, ND. If you continue all this tilting at Ivy Towers, ONE day you may find your Quixotic lance stuck in the thing for good!

(...and THEN where will ya be, HUH?!!!)

;)

To my mind, whatever title variations a film is officially released with, all count as correct - even if most likely done to preserve the magnificent brand recognition. Don't even get me started on all the UK films that some studio/distributor bod decided needed a re-title as they crossed the big pond. And what about foreign language titles - original, or anglicized? Again, whatever title(s) was/were officially used for release/re-release are correct.

Ya know, ND. If you continue all this tilting at Ivy Towers, ONE day you may find your Quixotic lance stuck in the thing for good!

(...and THEN where will ya be, HUH?!!!)

;)

No free pass to the Backlot for Nip, I fear...  :P

Actually.... they should have a days schedule, where every film was released with one or more title variation & the schedule should only show the most obscure title choice, with no further description. A sort of mystery grab-bag.

• Like 2

To my mind, whatever title variations a film is officially released with, all count as correct - even if most likely done to preserve the magnificent brand recognition. Don't even get me started on all the UK films that some studio/distributor bod decided needed a re-title as they crossed the big pond. And what about foreign language titles - original, or anglicized? Again, whatever title(s) was/were officially used for release/re-release are correct.

No free pass to the Backlot for Nip, I fear...  :P

Actually.... they should have a days schedule, where every film was released with one or more title variation & the schedule should only show the most obscure title choice, with no further description. A sort of mystery grab-bag.

yeah, but when somebody is right about something it should be acknowledged. mankiewicz plainly got the title wrong but the point is he's on tcm and is supposed to be knowledgeable about a film he was talking about and he plainly was not...

he got the title of the sequel wrong and what is the retort I'm a gettin"?...

it doan matter because magnifcent is on DVD packaging.

hey.....mankiewicz got the title wrong. so?...

how knowledgeable is that? I wouldn't have made that mistake but a tcm personage did.

okay, so here's what I'm kinda gettin' at? suppose they get to talkin' about the history of horror film cinematography going all the way back to say whale's frankenstein and on up.

hoy can tcm touch on the contributions of the mexican horror genre when tcm never shows those movies?

tcm hamstrings themselves by insisting on maintaining a fixed unchanging coffer of films which does not include the k. gordon murray mexican horror imports.

has it EVEN occurred to the tcm programming dept. how much better tcm underground would be with the addition of those films?

or is the truth of the matter the determining factor with their selected coffer of films economics?

okay, lets say tcm gets a hankering to highlight the films of set designer william cameron menzies.

they schedule invaders from mars. they run the shorter american version which is inferior to the UK version that had added scenes with arthur franz, helena carter and jimmy hunt shot for it's uk release.

common sense would inform most that most american and canadian viewers might like the uk cut a little better as many have never seen it.

but not tcm! they would show the inferior u.s. cut.

take frenchman's creek shown several weeks ago. a simply horrible print was aired.

are tcm competent cinemaphiles...or aren't they? :D 

Return of the Seven (1966) is the title of first theatrical release in: USA.

Return of the Magnificent Seven (1966) is the official English title for: Worldwide/International release in English.

A Volta dos Sete Homens (1966) is the title of: Portuguese-dubbed first theatrical release in: Brazil.

A Volta dos Sete Magníficos (1966) is the title of: Portuguese-dubbed second theatrical release in: Brazil.

O Regresso dos 7 Magníficos (1966) is the title of: Portuguese-dubbed first theatrical release in: Portugal. 

El regreso de los siete magníficos (1966) is the title of: Spanish-dubbed first theatrical release in: Mexico.

Die Rückkehr der glorreichen Sieben (1966) is the title of: German-dubbed first theatrical release in: Germany.

Завръщането на великолепната седморка (1966) is the title of: Bulgarian-dubbed first theatrical release in: Bulgaria.

All are officially correct titles for the movie.

• Like 2

Nippy, I could agree with you if you didn't keep mentioning K. Gordon Murray, who hacked up those Mexican films with awful editing and even worse dubbing. Show the original films in their original form and language. You know, the way you want the un-expurgated Invaders from Mars.

• Like 2

Return of the Seven (1966) is the title of first theatrical release in: USA.

Return of the Magnificent Seven (1966) is the official English title for: Worldwide/International release in English.

A Volta dos Sete Homens (1966) is the title of: Portuguese-dubbed first theatrical release in: Brazil.

A Volta dos Sete Magníficos (1966) is the title of: Portuguese-dubbed second theatrical release in: Brazil.

O Regresso dos 7 Magníficos (1966) is the title of: Portuguese-dubbed second theatrical release in: Portugal. 

El regreso de los siete magníficos (1966) is the title of: Spanish-dubbed first theatrical release in: Mexico.

Die Rückkehr der glorreichen Sieben (1966) is the title of: German-dubbed first theatrical release in: Germany.

Завръщането на великолепната седморка (1966) is the title of: Bulgarian-dubbed first theatrical release in: Bulgaria.

All are officially correct titles for the movie.

what's the title of the print tcm has aired? :lol:

Nippy, I could agree with you if you didn't keep mentioning K. Gordon Murray, who hacked up those Mexican films with awful editing and even worse dubbing. Show the original films in their original form and language. You know, the way you want the un-expurgated Invaders from Mars.

good point. I would watch them undubbed. some of those films have great cinematography and slack tcm oughta be showin' um. :)

what's the title of the print tcm has aired?

"Luckily Return of the Magnificent Seven (1966), which is also known as Return of the Seven, could also boast the return of another vital element from the original ­ composer Elmer Bernstein, whose score for the classic western is built around one of the most famous and recognizable musical themes in movie history."

• Like 1

Eeh! I've seen the British version of that movie about the little kid who witnesses his townfolk being inserted with little doohickeys in the back of their heads by creatures from another planet and nobody will believe him.

(...and take my word for it, INVADUERS FROM MAURS isn't nearly as good as the good ol' American version) 

"Luckily Return of the Magnificent Seven (1966), which is also known as Return of the Seven, could also boast the return of another vital element from the original ­ composer Elmer Bernstein, whose score for the classic western is built around one of the most famous and recognizable musical themes in movie history."

well, all I know is that three decades ago (before tcm) seeing it listed in the pages of TV Guide, it was Return of the Seven with a rating of two stars meaning fair...

and that's what I'm gonna stick with. :D

but since Ben Mankiewicz is a tcm personage he's gotta be right...even when he's wrong. :P

Eeh! I've seen the British version of that movie about the little kid who witnesses his townfolk being inserted with little doohickeys in the back of their heads by creatures from another planet and nobody will believe him.

(...and take my word for it, INVADUERS FROM MAURS isn't nearly as good as the good ol' American version) 

U kidding, no? The Brit version wouldn't use a Yankie word like doohickeys... :D

I believe it is superior in many ways to: Invadeurs From Marus which is: French movie concerning mercenaries from village in Upper Galilee.

U kidding, no? The Brit version wouldn't use a Yankie word like doohickeys... :D

Well, I THINK it's spelled "duhickeys" over there, limey!

AND, was only a very RECENT addition into that dictionary those boys in Oxford update yearly.

(...and so this whole thing might have slipped past you since you've been on THIS side of the pond, ol' boy!)

;)

Well, I THINK it's spelled "duhickeys" over there, limey!

AND, was only a very RECENT addition into that dictionary those boys in Oxford update yearly.

(...and so this whole thing might have slipped past you since you've been on THIS side of the pond, ol' boy!)

;)

it's doohickey, dargy. that's how I've always seen it spelt. :lol:

I believe it is superior in many ways to: Invadeurs From Marus which is: French movie concerning mercenaries from village in Upper Galilee.

Oh YEAH! I remember that one TOO, Sans!

BUT, as I recall those mercenaries were from LOWER Galilee.

(...uh-huh...and just south of the Slauson Cutoff)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings