Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hitchcock's The Birds and Bodega Bay

Recently my wife and I stayed a night in Bodega Bay, CA so we could visit the site of Hitchcock's 1963 film, The Birds. The inn we stayed at loaned us a DVD of The Birds and a DVD player. The young woman who set us up in the room was quite knowledgeable about the film, even though I don't think she was born yet when the film was released.

The cafe burned down some time ago and the phone booth was a prop. But the school is still nearby in the town of Bodega. It is a private residence now but you can take a picture of the outside.

The jungle gym was never next to the school. It was imported into the film using movie magic long before CGI even was thought of. Those camera people and technicians were geniuses.

While there, I bought a book by Tony Lee Moral entitled The Making of Hitchcock's The Birds (2015). I very much enjoyed reading it and it was very informative.

Bodega Bay is very much worth the stop if you happen to be going up Highway 1 north of San Francisco.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love The Birds.  When I was in the Bay Area a few years ago, I wanted to stop in Bodega Bay, but I simply forgot (I know, how could I do that?).  I'm disappointed that the school is a private residence.  I'm sure that Suzanne Pleshette's character's home is a private residence as well (if it's still there).  The photo that I wanted to take would involve me lying on the steps of the school or the teacher's house and pretending that I was killed by the birds.  Morbid I know.  But I thought it was funny.  Maybe I could have attached some fake crows to my clothes.  

I would still like to visit the area.  I am only about 10-12 hours away.  Maybe next time I'm in California I'll be able to make the trip.

• Like 1

I love The Birds.  When I was in the Bay Area a few years ago, I wanted to stop in Bodega Bay, but I simply forgot (I know, how could I do that?).  I'm disappointed that the school is a private residence.  I'm sure that Suzanne Pleshette's character's home is a private residence as well (if it's still there).  The photo that I wanted to take would involve me lying on the steps of the school or the teacher's house and pretending that I was killed by the birds.  Morbid I know.  But I thought it was funny.  Maybe I could have attached some fake crows to my clothes.  

I would still like to visit the area.  I am only about 10-12 hours away.  Maybe next time I'm in California I'll be able to make the trip.

If you ever do visit Bodego Bay, be sure to share what it was like.