Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ChristyKelly

Ben's funnies

Of course Ben Mankiewicz does it all the time in his film introductions but I had to laugh when he questioned whether the moon landing really happened in 1969. Naturally Ben wasn't even born...

• Like 1

He had a funny line recently while discussing the 1943 John Garfield film "The Fallen Sparrow." Mankiewicz called the movie an early example of film noir. Then he used the plural of the movie genre -- films noir.

"I feel like I have to say film noirs even if films noir is correct," he said. "Because don't you want to just roll your eyes at everyone who says attorneys general?"

• Like 4

He had a funny line recently while discussing the 1943 John Garfield film "The Fallen Sparrow." Mankiewicz called the movie an early example of film noir. Then he used the plural of the movie genre -- films noir.

"I feel like I have to say film noirs even if films noir is correct," he said. "Because don't you want to just roll your eyes at everyone who says attorneys general?"

Maybe the line was written by the same student intern who makes all the mistakes in the intro and outros.

Kinda reminds me of how in the movie SOLDIER IN THE RAIN they keep referring to cotton drawers as "drawers cotton".

And Ben's usage really isn't incorrect, as "films" would refer to more than one film, and "noir" to only one genre.

Like there are some words in which TWO different pronunciations are correct.

SADIST is one.  Some pronounce it as "SAY-dist" and others "SAD-ist".  A buddy and me once got into a debate about it, and in coferring with his WEBSTER'S, discovered both of us were correct!

MY consternation comes with the use I often hear in recent times of people saying "HELLS yes!".  I keep wondering why the one's been pluralized.

Sepiatone

Kinda reminds me of how in the movie SOLDIER IN THE RAIN they keep referring to cotton drawers as "drawers cotton".

And Ben's usage really isn't incorrect, as "films" would refer to more than one film, and "noir" to only one genre.

Like there are some words in which TWO different pronunciations are correct.

SADIST is one.  Some pronounce it as "SAY-dist" and others "SAD-ist".  A buddy and me once got into a debate about it, and in conferring with his WEBSTER'S, discovered both of us were correct!

MY consternation comes with the use I often hear in recent times of people saying "HELLS yes!".  I keep wondering why the one's been pluralized.

Sepiatone

Yeah Sepia, there ARE often(or as some pronounce that:"offen") words in the vernacular which can be pronounced differently but equally correct to the language, alright.

But, ya know what's NEVER correct? It's when someone uses the word "me" when they SHOULD have used the word "I"!!!

(...sorry, just couldn't resist) ;)