Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite location or setting

GGGGerald

Is there a place and /or time your favorite movies tend to be set in ? 

Maybe a Western in the wild west or a Pirate out at sea . Maybe in antebellum south with the plantations and polite society. Or maybe the middle ages with knights in shining armor. 

Is there a theme that you are excited to see a film in. Because you know you are going to love it ? Often times , its the city or scenery that's really the star of the film.

What are some of your favorites ? 

• Like 2

I very much enjoyed ZULU for the true African setting. I very much like seeing the now lost African native cultures. I have friends from Africa who have recommended I see Beast of The Nation and Cry Freedom, but I'm afraid these true stories are going to upset me too much.

I also very much like the Ealing Alec Guiness comedies like LAVENDER HILL MOB for the recently bombed out London locations. It makes you realize what they went through in WW2 and how long it must have taken to recover & rebuild.

Ireland is a gorgeous filming location and I like the fantasy of Ireland in THE QUIET MAN and the reality of it in INTO THE WEST.

Finding film locations is one of my hobbies and it's fun to see the real place and how it was changed for filming. The Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood used in THE SHINING is barely recogniseable for all the parking lots & outbuildings surrounding it. I'm sure it was all matte painted out.

The "castle" used in THE FISHER KING is an empty fascade in NYC with a basketball court behind it. Re-watching the movie, you can see how Gilliam cleverly decorated it to look inhabited.

My brother lives in Marblehead Mass where HOME BEFORE DARK was filmed and I showed comparative photos of how it has changed/not changed since then in the off-topic forum last year.

• Like 2

When I look at locations that reoccur in several of my favorite films the unavoidable answer is major cities: New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, London and Paris. Themes can be the struggle of an individual to survive in a modern city and the contrast between rich and poor neighborhoods.

A second possibility is a small motel or gas station along the highway. Islands and other isolated places, where the characters are stuck with each other, can be great locations as well. They can provide beautiful nature scenery.

• Like 1

I enjoy the movies from the late 30's through 50's that are set in Mexico or at resorts.  The big cities don't add anything particular for me, but maybe because so many of them are set in NY, LA or Chicago.

Add to this movies featuring road trips.

• Like 1

I enjoy movies set in beautiful and exotic locations that I may never see in person.

I have been to Greece, but I've never been anywhere else where there is a rich cultural history of art and architecture. 

I love movies set on Broadway, or off Broadway.

I love crime movies being set in New York, LA, or San Francisco.

I love westerns set in small towns and where people take long trips across the desert in areas of United States now called John Ford country.

• Like 1

Sedona Arizona and the majestic red rock formations that surround this town were at one time(the '30s-'70s, primarily) host to many a movie set,  and with most being in the Western genre such as ANGEL AND THE BADMAN, BROKEN ARROW, PONY SOLDIER, JOHNNY GUITAR(and resulting with some the now residential streets in town bearing those very names) and a number of B-westerns. However, a few films set in more recent times and in the Noir genre were also shot here, such as LET HER TO HEAVEN and DESERT FURY.

(...that being said, I suppose I have to admit MY favorite film locations above all else would be big city places such as my old stomping grounds of L.A., and particularly in the Noir genre and set in the '40s and '50s)

• Like 1

I love looking at certain old Laurel and Hardy shorts for the scenes of the 1920s / 1930s Hollywood area, to see how "rural" it used to be.  :)

Same here, and this also works with Little Rascal shorts, Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd silents, and many other silent and early sound films. Somewhat later, I love noirs from the 40s and 50s, that used many of the urban locations in LA, such as Bunker Hill. Unfortunately, all these make me angry at all that's been lost.

• Like 2

Most my favorite classic films are set in the interwar period (1919 -1936 or so). You can almost feel the relief of the end of war. And they just go full on into fun, music , dancing, whatever, all the things they weren't able to do beforehand. There there is the depression era and basically have all the fun you can because it all will end soon as another inevitable war approaches.

Whether in Europe or America or some where else, there seems to be a never ending party going on. With the best ball gowns, tuxedos, fancy cars , mansions etc...  Of course this isn't reality but, who looks for that in a classic movie ?

Same here, and this also works with Little Rascal shorts, Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd silents, and many other silent and early sound films. Somewhat later, I love noirs from the 40s and 50s, that used many of the urban locations in LA, such as Bunker Hill. Unfortunately, all these make me angry at all that's been lost.

I also like exotic or fancy locales I will never afford to visit, or aren't around anymore or never existed in the first place.

It is fascinating to see skylines very different than today in big cities. Or freeways that look almost empty  :P

• Like 1

Here's another vote for San Francisco. Like New Orleans, it's been heavily influenced by many cultures. That gives it a certain mystique and makes it a colorful and versatile cinematic setting.

Some memorable movies: "San Francisco" (1936); "The Maltese Falcon" (1941); "Dark Passage" (1947); "The Lady from Shanghai" (1947); "Vertigo" (1958); "Flower Drum Song" (1961); "Experiment in Terror" (1962); "Birdman of Alcatraz" (1962); "Point Blank" (1967); "Bullitt" (1968); "Dirty Harry" (1971); "What's Up, Doc?" (1972); "The Conversation" (1974); "Foul Play" (1978); "Superman" (1978); "Time After Time" (1979); "Chan Is Missing" (1982); "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" (1984); "A View to a Kill" (1985); "The Presidio" (1988); "The Fan" (1996); "Zodiac" (2007); "Milk" (2008); "The Book of Eli" (2010); "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" (2011).

golden-gate.png

Kim Novak in Sir Alfred Hitchcock's "Vertigo" (1958)

maxresdefault.jpg

Robert De Niro as a rabid San Francisco Giants supporter in "The Fan" (1996)

• Like 3

There's little doubt that San Francisco is probably THE most beautiful American city of 'em all, jakeem.

(...although this old L.A. boy STILL loves riling up a few of the more nose-in-the-air denizens of that city by occasionally referring to it as "Frisco" to 'em...they hate that, ya know) ;)

LOL

• Like 1

There's little doubt that San Francisco is probably THE most beautiful American city of 'em all, jakeem.

(...although this old L.A. boy STILL loves riling up a few of the more nose-in-the-air denizens of that city by occasionally referring to it as "Frisco" to 'em...they hate that, ya know) ;)

LOL

you made think of Rice Er Roni

• Like 1

I love movies set in the seedier side of a big city (like New York, Chicago, San Fran, LA, Philly) or movies that show the more working class side of the town--these settings often feature tenements, the docks, old warehouses, abandoned shacks, etc. While I like seeing the fancy pants people's surroundings, there is something very interesting about seeing the other side of city life. 

Road trip movies are fun--my absolute favorite movie, The Long Long Trailer is a road trip movie and also features the gorgeous scenery of Yosemite Nat'l Park.  

I also like movies that feature glamorous European locales, like Paris or the French and Italian Rivieras.  Much of what makes Funny Face so enjoyable are the Parisian locales.  The French Riviera setting of To Catch a Thief is gorgeous and makes the film even more enjoyable. 

I also like movies set at the beach--especially if they're 1960s teen movies (like Gidget, which I know was '59, but close enough; and the 'Beach Party' movies).  

Finally, another setting I like are people's vacation homes.  They're always a little wacky and quaint, which is fun, like in Houseboat and Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation.  Vacation homes can also be scary or attract scary, like in Cape Fear.  

• Like 3

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings