Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Something Amazing And Rare On THE BIG VALLEY

Palmerin

On 21 May 2016 I watched the DAYS OF GRACE episode of THE BIG VALLEY on INSP, and discovered that it had TWO future stars as guest players: KAREN BLACK and ELLEN BURSTYN.

Two future stars on the same episode: do you realize how amazing and rare is such an event?

• Like 2

Not very unusual at all for major future film stars to appear on such shows. Especially during the mid to late fifties and into the 1960’s. With many film roles drying up, many once well known stars began appearing on television. The fact is many of these shows were very well written and produced, especially crime dramas and westerns.

For instance many older stars and newer up and coming stars appeared on NBC’s first 90 minute western The Virginian starring James Drury in the title role.

In the first season alone Hugh O’Brian, Jack Warden, Ricardo Montaban, Aldo Ray, Lee Marvin, Charles Bickford, Bette Davis, Brian Keith, Vera Miles, David Wayne, and John Dehner all appeared in various episodes.

In season two, Broderick Crawford, Robert Redford, Yvonne De Carlo, DeForest Kelley, Bruce Dern, John Agar, Sheree North appeared.

Season Three saw the following guest stars: Leslie Nielsen, Victor Jory, Katharine Ross, Robert Culp, Barbara Eden, George Kennedy, John Gavin, Lloyd Nolan, Forrest Tucker, Andrew Prine, Rhonda Fleming and Fabian all appeared.

Season Four:  William Shatner, Glenn Corbett, Earl Holliman, Charles Bronson, Harold J. Stone, James Best, Telly Savalas, John Cassavetes, Andrew Duggan, and Tony Bill appeared.

Season Five: Angie Dickinson, Dan Duryea, Tom Tryon, Andy Devine, Harrison Ford, Myrna Loy and Robert Fuller.

Season Six:  Edmund O’Brien, James Whitmore, Malachi Throne, and Peter Duel.

Season Seven:  Burgess Meredith, John Saxon, Susan Oliver, Steve Ihnat, and James Brolin.

Season Eight:  Joan Crawford, Tony Franciosa, Patrick Macnee.

Season Nine:  Dezi Arnaz, Janet Leigh, Anne Francis, Susan Strasberg, Noah Beery, James Grgory, Craig Stevens, Howard Duff, and Peter Lawford.

• Like 4

Not very unusual at all for major future film stars to appear on such shows. Especially during the mid to late fifties and into the 1960’s. With many film roles drying up, many once well known stars began appearing on television. The fact is many of these shows were very well written and produced, especially crime dramas and westerns.

For instance many older stars and newer up and coming stars appeared on NBC’s first 90 minute western The Virginian starring James Drury in the title role.

In the first season alone Hugh O’Brian, Jack Warden, Ricardo Montaban, Aldo Ray, Lee Marvin, Charles Bickford, Bette Davis, Brian Keith, Vera Miles, David Wayne, and John Dehner all appeared in various episodes.

In season two, Broderick Crawford, Robert Redford, Yvonne De Carlo, DeForest Kelley, Bruce Dern, John Agar, Sheree North appeared.

Season Three saw the following guest stars: Leslie Nielsen, Victor Jory, Katharine Ross, Robert Culp, Barbara Eden, George Kennedy, John Gavin, Lloyd Nolan, Forrest Tucker, Andrew Prine, Rhonda Fleming and Fabian all appeared.

Season Four:  William Shatner, Glenn Corbett, Earl Holliman, Charles Bronson, Harold J. Stone, James Best, Telly Savalas, John Cassavetes, Andrew Duggan, and Tony Bill appeared.

Season Five: Angie Dickinson, Dan Duryea, Tom Tryon, Andy Devine, Harrison Ford, Myrna Loy and Robert Fuller.

Season Seven:  Burgess Meredith, John Saxon, Susan Oliver, Steve Ihnat, and James Brolin.

Season Nine:  Dezi Arnaz, Janet Leigh, Anne Francis, Susan Strasberg, Noah Beery, James Grgory, Craig Stevens, Howard Duff, and Peter Lawford.

Yes, this was quite common on TV shows, as well as former stars appearing on later TV shows such as the crime show Diagnosis Murder from the 1990s starring Dick Van Dyke ad his son.  All the guest stars were stars of earlier TV shows.

• Like 1

TWO FUTURE STARS appearing on THE SAME TV EPISODE.

Oh, sorry... here ya go:

season 1 The Virginian:

Peter Breck and Bruce Dern (Episode 2.25, "Rope of Lies")

season 3 The Virginian:

Robert Culp and Jena Engstrom (3.3, "The Stallion")

No need to use caps. I guess you are upset or that I may have not clearly understood you. I did. But still this practically had been occurring with regularity on 1960's television.

• Like 1

It's not really very rare.

William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy in The Man From Uncle (1964):

pYFrgrw.png

Werner Klemperer was also in this episode

EtheBVh.jpg

Yes, this was the first time Nimoy and Shatner shared the screen.

I love this episode.

• Like 1

Oh, sorry... here ya go:

season 1 The Virginian:

Peter Breck and Bruce Dern (Episode 2.25, "Rope of Lies")

season 3 The Virginian:

Robert Culp and Jena Engstrom (3.3, "The Stallion")

No need to use caps. I guess you are upset or that I may have not clearly understood you. I did. But still this practically had been occurring with regularity on 1960's television.

You are forgiven.

I love to watch episodes of classic shows because of the many future celebrities to be found in them. In LAW AND ORDER, the episode MAYHEM has Robin Tunney, and the episode SKIN DEEP features Claire Danes.

• Like 1

You are forgiven.

I love to watch episodes of classic shows because of the many future celebrities to be found in them. In LAW AND ORDER, the episode MAYHEM has Robin Tunney, and the episode SKIN DEEP features Claire Danes.

Yes, there a lot of great shows from the golden age of Hollywood which show future stars.

I know that old those old westerns give the impression that the Wild,  Wild West was not as violet as it really was, but there are some absolutely fabulous  guest stars on these shows who were not yet stars.

On 21 May 2016 I watched the DAYS OF GRACE episode of THE BIG VALLEY on INSP, and discovered that it had TWO future stars as guest players: KAREN BLACK and ELLEN BURSTYN.

Two future stars on the same episode: do you realize how amazing and rare is such an event?

Today, 26 May 2016, I discovered LEE GRANT in the THE LADY FROM MESA episode.

I feel your frustration Palmerin, but you should have EXPECTED that kind of response in this place.

I can't recall ever seeing TWO(or more) future stars in a television episode.  I might have, but not recently, and if some time ago, obviously forgot about it.

I don't know if it counts, but I recall the TWILIGHT ZONE episode that had both CHARLES BRONSON and ELIZABETH MONTGOMERY in it.  Bronson was known to most people, but not yet reached "star" status at that time.

I do recall seeing ELLEN BURSTYN. not long ago in a PERRY MASON rerun on METV, but that's it, so far.

Good catch!

sepiatone

• Like 2

Warren Beatty and Warren Oates (extreme right) as Princeton frat boys who hear the Orson Welles War of the Worlds broadcast in "The Night America Trembled", Studio One (1957). (Naturally they panicked, being so close to Grover's Mill!). James Coburn, Vincent Gardenia, Ed Asner, and John Astin also appeared in the episode.

IPb6oQy.jpg

• Like 2

I feel your frustration Palmerin, but you should have EXPECTED that kind of response in this place.

I can't recall ever seeing TWO(or more) future stars in a television episode.  I might have, but not recently, and if some time ago, obviously forgot about it.

I don't know if it counts, but I recall the TWILIGHT ZONE episode that had both CHARLES BRONSON and ELIZABETH MONTGOMERY in it.  Bronson was known to most people, but not yet reached "star" status at that time.

I do recall seeing ELLEN BURSTYN. not long ago in a PERRY MASON rerun on METV, but that's it, so far.

Good catch!

sepiatone

Well when one post a comment that is off the target,  of course they are going to be called on it.

Many actors that became 'stars' in recent decades,  got their start on T.V.    T.V. became the training ground (or the breaking ground),  for actors instead of the stage (or in combination with the stage).    

• Like 1

Not to undermine Palmerin's original contention here as it seems a reasonable observation, but considering what a big star Clint Eastwood would become, if you look at the list of RAWHIDE's guest stars here, there are a passel of up and comers who made the big time too....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rawhide_(TV_series)

(...jus' sayin', pardner)

• Like 2

I get your drift, Palmerin. You never said that having "two future stars" on a tv episode had only happened once in the history of television and it was on the series "The Big Valley", what you said was that it was a "rare" event to see "two future stars" on such, and then we all go to find other instances of that occurring in essence to prove the statement is faulty.

But such proofs of two stars in some old tv show, does not negate your original statement, because when one adds up all the numbers of tv episodes ever made, and then counts the ones that did have "two future stars" in them, I'm sure that your usage of the word "rare" according to the definition below meaning simply "not occurring very often", would be totally valid.

Join the crowd for suffering the pangs of semantic and obscurantist misunderstandings at the TCM lounge.

rare
rer/
adjective

1. (of an event, situation, or condition) not occurring very often.
    "a rare genetic disorder"
    synonyms: infrequentscarcesparse, few and far between, thin on the ground, like gold dust, as scarce as hen's teeth; More

WE

I get your drift, Palmerin. You never said that having "two future stars" on a tv episode had only happened once in the history of television and it was on the series "The Big Valley", what you said was that it was a "rare" event to see "two future stars" on such, and then we all go to find other instances of that occurring in essence to prove the statement is faulty.

But such proofs of two stars in some old tv show, does not negate your original statement, because when one adds up all the numbers of tv episodes ever made, and then counts the ones that did have "two future stars" in them, I'm sure that your usage of the word "rare" according to the definition below meaning simply "not occurring very often", would be totally valid.

Join the crowd for suffering the pangs of semantic and obscurantist misunderstandings at the TCM lounge.

rare
rer/
adjective

1. (of an event, situation, or condition) not occurring very often.
    "a rare genetic disorder"
    synonyms: infrequentscarcesparse, few and far between, thin on the ground, like gold dust, as scarce as hen's teeth; More

Well I would say it was medium rare   (you know,  slightly pink in the center).    :D

WE

Well I would say it was medium rare   (you know,  slightly pink in the center).    :D

You make me laugh, James and always have!

I only eat my meat either medium rare or totally rare. Love to see that bloody juice on the plate.

Which is also why I enjoy posting and reading comments at the TCM Message Board.

Well when one post a comment that is off the target,  of course they are going to be called on it.

Many actors that became 'stars' in recent decades,  got their start on T.V.    T.V. became the training ground (or the breaking ground),  for actors instead of the stage (or in combination with the stage).    

I took it to mean "stars" in the sense that to most of America's movie and television viewing audience, the actors/actresses in question became basically "household names", as did both Burstyn and Black.

Some of the examples offered did mention many who never achieved "star" status as most Americans view the term.

Much as many of us liked and appreciate the talent and skill of say, WARREN OATES, I'd contend that the majority of the American and television public has no idea who he was.

But the mentions of PLAYHOUSE 90 and RAWHIDE were two sources with a lot of  that sort of thing to offer.

I'm usually on the lookout when watching old episodes of say, COMBAT and PERRY MASON to see what "up and comer" was in an episode.

In Dargo's offered WIKI list of guests on RAWHIDE, I noticed the name of CONLAN CARTER, who, while never achieving "star" status in the aforementioned sense, did enjoy a few good seasons as "Doc" in the series COMBAT.  In fact, I always liked him better tha the other medics the squad had on the series.

Sepiatone

Yeah, KIMBALL;

I seem to recall that episode back when METV was showing THE UNTOUCHABLES a couple or so years ago.

Sometimes two future "stars" might have been part of the cast of earlier TV shows.

Like the aforemention GAVIN MacLEOD and TIM CONWAY both in the crew of PT 73 on McHALE'S NAVY.

I'm still keeping my eyes peeled( OUCH!) for more examples of the OP.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings