Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Give Credit Where Credit is Due!

CaveGirl

I am mortified that we forgot to honor on the date of his death of May 10th, the man who is responsible for some of the best comedies of all time.

That would be, well...Sam Marx, the father of  Groucho, Harpo, Chico, Zeppo, Gummo and of course Manfred Marx.

Without Sam, being the paterfamilias of such a brood, where would we all be and particularly where would our buddy, Dargo be, I ask you!

Sam was born on October 23, 1859 in France and died in Los Angeles on May 10, 1933. I feel so sad to have forgotten to honor him on the date of his passing, earlier this month.

Name other unsung heroes of cinema and entertainment, that you can recall who have not been given their just due.

Very true, CG. However, you DO know that their mother Minnie was the true driving force behind the brothers' success.

In fact, there was a short run 1970 Broadway musical which starred Shelley Winters titled "Minnie's Boys" about their story.

• Like 2

Very true, CG. However, you DO know that their mother Minnie was the true driving force behind the brothers' success.

In fact, there was a short run 1970 Broadway musical which starred Shelley Winters titled "Minnie's Boys" about their story.

You wound me to the core of my being, Dargo!

Thinking I did not know about Minnie, but I guess I was derelict in not mentioning her as Sam's wife.

Mea culpa!

We owe both Sam and Minnie though, as can you imagine a world without Groucho, and Harpo?

I could probably do without Chico, but still.

Dargo--

Minnie's boys is a total blast from my past--

It was one of our show numbers that was used in class to teach this

young struggling tap dancer in Chicago. It sure was hot during those summers; tap dancing in Chicago without air conditioning. Just the mention of that show, brings back all those really fun days.

I never heard of the show outside of tap class.

Do you have the record or have you actually seen the show?

• Like 1

Dargo--

Minnie's boys is a total blast from my past--

It was one of our show numbers that was used in class to teach this

young struggling tap dancer in Chicago. It sure was hot during those summers; tap dancing in Chicago without air conditioning. Just the mention of that show, brings back all those really fun days.

I never heard of the show outside of tap class.

Do you have the record or have you actually seen the show?

Glad I could bring back those fun memories for ya, Princess.

Nope, don't have the record nor have ever seen the show, but I do remember seeing Shelley Winters talking about the show and her role as Minnie on some talk show years ago.

(...and Minnie is covered quite a bit in author Joe Adamson's 1973 book Groucho, Harpo, Chico and Sometimes Zeppo: A Celebration of the Marx Brothers, which I read when it was first published) 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings