Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Lola and Color

CaveGirl

I wanted to watch this film from 1981 from Fassbinder, due to the fact that one does not get the opportunity to see too many of his films on tv in the States so I applaud TCM for putting two in a row on the other night.

I am not going to even go into the storyline, since it mirrors the one in "The Blue Angel" but what was so remarkable in the Fassbinder film was...the color!

Now I don't mean ordinary color, as many films are extraordinary in that respect like "The Red Shoes" or many MGM musicals. But the color in this film, was different. It was not just the color of the clothing and sets but the colors that washed over the scenes, in a kaleidoscopic way with a rainbow effect.

It was mind boggling and my eyes were transfixed from start to finish.

Anyone else experience this fine film? The following one, was just the opposite in a sense since it was with stark black and white images which startled the mind also. It was called "Love is Colder Than Death".

Having owned the dvd for "Querelle" which is a trip in itself, I  had not realized how different every Fassbinder film is from his previous directorial efforts.

>>>>>Now I don't mean ordinary color, as many films are extraordinary in that respect like "The Red Shoes" or many MGM musicals. But the color in this film, was different. It was not just the color of the clothing and sets but the colors that washed over the scenes, in a kaleidoscopic way with a rainbow effect. ---CG

==

Maybe someone slipped LSD in your coffee.

:P

(...sorry)

//

Interesting observation CaveGirl - the term 'prismatic' comes to mind.  Reminds me of the way colors were used in The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, as another example.

I see where Criterion has included Lola with 2 other Fassbinder films, The Marriage of Maria Braun and Veronika Voss, in what they refer to as the BRD Trilogy, so I will be on the lookout for those as well.

>>>>>Now I don't mean ordinary color, as many films are extraordinary in that respect like "The Red Shoes" or many MGM musicals. But the color in this film, was different. It was not just the color of the clothing and sets but the colors that washed over the scenes, in a kaleidoscopic way with a rainbow effect. ---CG

==

Maybe someone slipped LSD in your coffee.

:P

(...sorry)

//

Well, Laffite I guess I am in good company with Cary Grant if I did get rufied with some LSD, right?

No apology needed.

Haha...and ha!

Interesting observation CaveGirl - the term 'prismatic' comes to mind.  Reminds me of the way colors were used in The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, as another example.

I see where Criterion has included Lola with 2 other Fassbinder films, The Marriage of Maria Braun and Veronika Voss, in what they refer to as the BRD Trilogy, so I will be on the lookout for those as well.

I think you've got it, CMV!

It was like a prismatic type look. The last time I remember feeling that color disoriented while watching a film, I think it was called something like "Invasion of the Bee Girls". They kept showing scenes as if one was a bee, with multiple overlaid images all in bright color.

And yes, the color was a bit like TUOC, but even more intense because things were being washed over with a type of theatrical lighting in shades of pink, purple, turquoise et cetera.

Thanks for your very astute insights!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings