Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ColumboFan's Favourite Singers/Songwriters/Actors

Hello, this is a thread to talk about people whose talent spanned several aspects of the musical world.

I do love Frank Sinatra overall.  But I already have a thread about Frank Sinatra.

But there are others who are singers, songwriters, and actors/actresses as well.  Yes Sinatra only wrote two songs.  But you don't have to be all three.  You just have to be two of them.

This is a thread devoted to those who are multitalented in that way.

I will start with Frankie Avalon. Best known for making 1960s Beach films with Annette Funecello. 

He was a singer, songwriter, and actor.

My favourite songs of his include Beauty School Dropout, Grease, and Venus.

I'll mention Bob Dylan, since his 75th birthday was the other day. I didn't bring this aspect up in a previous thread, but I wanted to mention his movie roles. He's had 6 acting roles in a odd assortment of films. I've only seen two of them so far, 1973's Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, the Sam Peckinpah film starring James Coburn and Kris Kristofferson in the title roles. Dylan played Alias, a quiet gunman. His role is minor, but his biggest contribution was the song "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" for the soundtrack, a song that's become a standard of sorts in the rock world. The other Dylan acting role I've seen was his cameo as an unnamed artist in the Dennis Hopper directed 1990 film Catchfire.

Dylan's other films include Renaldo and Clara from 1978, a 4 hour (!) epic that has never been properly released. Dylan directed and co-wrote the film with Sam Shepard. Next came Hearts of Fire, in 1987, with Dylan playing a version of himself that mentors a young girl singer. In 1999, he had another cameo as a chaffeur in little-known Paradise Cove. Finally, there's 2005's Masked and Anonymous, written by Bob Dylan and director Larry Charles. It has an all-star cast, and I'm looking forward to seeing it, as I have it to watch. It wasn't reviewed very kindly, though.

I have to mention the film I'm Not There. A pseudo-bio/character pastiche on Dylan from arthouse darling director Todd Haynes (Safe, Far from Heaven, Carol). Dylan is played by different actors throughout the film, including Heath Ledger, Christian Bale, Richard Gere and Cate Blanchett. It's a one-of-a-kind film, but I don't think all of it works.

• Like 2

I'll mention Bob Dylan, since his 75th birthday was the other day. I didn't bring this aspect up in a previous thread, but I wanted to mention his movie roles. He's had 6 acting roles in a odd assortment of films. I've only seen two of them so far, 1973's Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, the Sam Peckinpah film starring James Coburn and Kris Kristofferson in the title roles. Dylan played Alias, a quiet gunman. His role is minor, but his biggest contribution was the song "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" for the soundtrack, a song that's become a standard of sorts in the rock world. The other Dylan acting role I've seen was his cameo as an unnamed artist in the Dennis Hopper directed 1990 film Catchfire.

Dylan's other films include Renaldo and Clara from 1978, a 4 hour (!) epic that has never been properly released. Dylan directed and co-wrote the film with Sam Shepard. Next came Hearts of Fire, in 1987, with Dylan playing a version of himself that mentors a young girl singer. In 1999, he had another cameo as a chaffeur in little-known Paradise Cove. Finally, there's 2005's Masked and Anonymous, written by Bob Dylan and director Larry Charles. It has an all-star cast, and I'm looking forward to seeing it, as I have it to watch. It wasn't reviewed very kindly, though.

I have to mention the film I'm Not There. A pseudo-bio/character pastiche on Dylan from arthouse darling director Todd Haynes (Safe, Far from Heaven, Carol). Dylan is played by different actors throughout the film, including Heath Ledger, Christian Bale, Richard Gere and Cate Blanchett. It's a one-of-a-kind film, but I don't think all of it works.

I'm Not There has been on my to-see list for a long time.  I am interested in seeing several people play the same role.

I have not seen all of Bob Bylan's film roles.

I am most familiar wit Pat Garret and Billy the Kid.  I have seen that movie several times.

Of the other movies you mention, I would love to see Catchfire as I love Dennis Hopper movies, Paradise Cove, and Hearts of Fire.

Paul Anka is a Canadian singer, songwriter, and actor.

I will talk about him in more detail later, but a programming reminder for now:

Paul Anka appears as an actor in The Longest day which is airing this Friday night as the final evening of Robert Ryan Star of the Month which also kicks off Memorial Day Weekend as Robert Ryan made a LOT of war films.

Paul Anka also did the music for the film.

Vyacheslav Dobrynin is: Russian singer, composer and actor. 

He has composed approx. one thousand songs. He began one on the most popular bands. He has been in a movie and on television.

You may watch here his singing of one of his songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ie8yocy8I

You may find information here of movie in which he played: Serge/Sam:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0187693/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_2

He composed music for movies also.

• Like 1

Vyacheslav Dobrynin is: Russian singer, composer and actor. 

He has composed approx. one thousand songs. He began one on the most popular bands. He has been in a movie and on television.

You may watch here his singing of one of his songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ie8yocy8I

You may find information here of movie in which he played: Serge/Sam:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0187693/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_2

He composed music for movies also.

1,000 songs! Wow.

Thanks for the links. Fantastic.

I saw Renaldo and Clara in a midnight show in Edinburgh, Scotland of all places.  My cousin snored through most of it.  It was pretty dreadful..   I had friends who worked on it in Dylan's garage for months in Santa Monica and I wanted to see it.

• Like 2

I saw Renaldo and Clara in a midnight show in Edinburgh, Scotland of all places.  My cousin snored through most of it.  It was pretty dreadful..   I had friends who worked on it in Dylan's garage for months in Santa Monica and I wanted to see it.

Seeing it in Scotland must have been a treat.

As to the song Knocking on Heaven's Door, this is a song that I love.

I love hearing about movies that you have seen, especially as a person who watches old and new films.